If you had to drive one marque for the rest of your life...

Started by nickdrinkwater, January 30, 2010, 05:15:22 AM

nickdrinkwater

...which would it be?

It can be a past or present company.  Once you have made your choice you are restricted to only owning cars produced by that company for the rest of your life.  However, that includes cars made at any time by that maker.  Money is no object in your decision.

FoMoJo

That's easy for me.  I've always found a Ford that has suited my purpose and my budget.  If I wanted a new car now, there are excellent choices from the 4 corners of the world. 

If money is no object and I wanted to indulge in fantasy cars, I could choose from several that are a car guy's dream.  The remarkable Mustangs of the late '60s and 1970; the 1970 Boss 302 along with any of the Shelbys would be my first choices.  Of course the Cobras and the remarkable GT40 would be a must for my collection.  If I wanted that certain je-ne-sais-quoi of the noble marques, there would always be something from the era of Jaguars and Aston Martins that were produced by Ford along with the racing legends, often powered by a Cosworth racing engine while under the stewardship of Ford; or even before when Ford supplied the money to those 2 geniuses who created the most remarkable of all engines of their era.  The list is endless.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Gotta-Qik-C7

GM. Currently they cover a wide range of autos from Pick ups to the almighty ZR1 to the plush Caddys! I could also own 1970 454 Chevelles, '57 Bel Airs and '64 Impalas. The list goes on.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CALL_911

Porsche. Easiest question ever.

Oh yeah, BMW takes second place in this race.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Atomic

BimmerM3

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 07:25:31 AM

Especially now that they have the Panamera, choosing them seems like a pretty good choice.

Still, I think I might have to go with BMW.

Northlands

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 30, 2010, 06:59:04 AM
That's easy for me.  I've always found a Ford that has suited my purpose and my budget.  If I wanted a new car now, there are excellent choices from the 4 corners of the world. 

If money is no object and I wanted to indulge in fantasy cars, I could choose from several that are a car guy's dream.  The remarkable Mustangs of the late '60s and 1970; the 1970 Boss 302 along with any of the Shelbys would be my first choices.  Of course the Cobras and the remarkable GT40 would be a must for my collection.  If I wanted that certain je-ne-sais-quoi of the noble marques, there would always be something from the era of Jaguars and Aston Martins that were produced by Ford along with the racing legends, often powered by a Cosworth racing engine while under the stewardship of Ford; or even before when Ford supplied the money to those 2 geniuses who created the most remarkable of all engines of their era.  The list is endless.

You make a compelling argument. I was headed in the Audi direction or even Honda on the small side ( motorcycles!! ) , but you've just reminded me of some of the other car companies they owned ( volvo too! ).

I'm going with Ford as well.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

BimmerM3

To be technical, he did say marque, not corporation, so choosing Ford would limit you to Ford-branded vehicles, not anything owned by FoMoCo.

sportyaccordy

S204STi

Hmm, hard one.  It would have to be a company which makes high performance vehicles as well as something which is highly capable offroad.  Ford would be one option as long as I could get a Focus RS (the 300hp version), as would be Nissan, and possibly Toyota if they make the AE86 successor a reasonably good car.  I guess for now I'm undecided on the matter.

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 30, 2010, 10:24:27 AM
So easy. BMW.

E34 wagon, E46 M3 CSL, E31 850CSi

You're missing the best parts.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 30, 2010, 07:09:16 AM
GM. Currently they cover a wide range of autos from Pick ups to the almighty ZR1 to the plush Caddys! I could also own 1970 454 Chevelles, '57 Bel Airs and '64 Impalas. The list goes on.

When I said marque, I meant specific as in Chevy, Cadillac, etc.  Otherwise I could just say VAG and be done with it  :lol:

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 07:25:31 AM

Easier now that they make the Cayenne and Panamera, less easy before that.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 30, 2010, 06:59:04 AM

Good choice.  I never would have thought of Ford because I'm not used to Mustangs and I always forget that the GT is a Ford, as stupid as that will sound.

sportyaccordy

BimmerM3....

Those are good cars, but IIRC the Z8 weighs the same as the E39 M5 (which I like more), the 3.0 CS is nice but too old, 2002tii has too much boost lag and the ??? is tooo tooo old.

BMW's best motors have cylinder counts in multiples of 6. E34 wagon is nice and still from BMW's solid days, plus easy to turbocharge. E46 CSL is awesome. E31 CSi is one of my favorite Bimmers of the last 30 years...

ChrisV

For me, Ford.

man, I'm just scratching the surface. Hot rod, road race, trucking, family haulers, drag race... Like GM, they cover everything. it was a toss-up between Ford and Chevy, but the GT-40s really put it over the top for me. And of course all the Ford Cosworth F1 and road racing stuff.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Northlands

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2010, 10:15:10 AM
To be technical, he did say marque, not corporation, so choosing Ford would limit you to Ford-branded vehicles, not anything owned by FoMoCo.

I still think it would be Ford. They pretty much make something for most any situation I'd be in driving wise.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 30, 2010, 11:06:05 AM
BimmerM3....

Those are good cars, but IIRC the Z8 weighs the same as the E39 M5 (which I like more), the 3.0 CS is nice but too old, 2002tii has too much boost lag and the ??? is tooo tooo old.

BMW's best motors have cylinder counts in multiples of 6. E34 wagon is nice and still from BMW's solid days, plus easy to turbocharge. E46 CSL is awesome. E31 CSi is one of my favorite Bimmers of the last 30 years...

I mean, they're all fantastic cars. My dream garage would likely be a huge collection of BMWs, old, new, and in between, with a few other cars thrown in here and there. And yes, the E31 is sexy as hell.

The only real downside of choosing BMW is that they've never had a real super car, at least not in the past 28 years.

FoMoJo

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 30, 2010, 10:15:10 AM
I noticed that, but then I noticed he referred to company and maker so I expanded my choices to anything that Ford had been involved in the making of; including a number of iconic hybrids, the Cobra, the Tiger, the Pantera, the Noble and even, a bit of a stretch, the koenigsegg CC plus many others.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I'd like to pick one of your fancy sports-car companies, but what if I need a truck? I'm left with Ford.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Porsche, or perhaps Audi with the R8 and Q7.

Realistically though, probably Chevrolet.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 30, 2010, 10:51:23 AM
When I said marque, I meant specific as in Chevy, Cadillac, etc.  Otherwise I could just say VAG and be done with it  :lol:
I'll go with Chevy.

93JC

Other than the highly unrealistic luxury and/or sports car (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, etc.) makers and the we-make-everything-under-sun makers (Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge)... who's going to pick anything else?

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2010, 01:17:25 PM
Other than the highly unrealistic luxury and/or sports car (BMW, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, etc.) makers and the we-make-everything-under-sun makers (Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge)... who's going to pick anything else?

With a few exceptions, the Japanese marques have uglified their product ranges. Of these brands though, I'll go with Infiniti.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 30, 2010, 01:22:41 PM
Shit, I forgot about motorcycles.

Suzuki it is, then. :lol:
He said DRIVE for the rest of our lives,not RIDE! So it's only fair that we get keep our Suzuki motorcycles!  :cheers:

Laconian

BMW, because their trend of making a new niche SUV for every jackoff means I'll never have a car that doesn't fit my dynamic lifestyle.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2010, 01:17:25 PM

Do you say that BMW, Porsche and M-B are unrealistic because they're expensive or because they're impractical? Really the only type of car you can't get from those manufacturers is a truck, but you could just use one of the SUVs and a trailer if you needed to haul something.

93JC

Both impractical and expensive. Impractical because they're expensive. Yes, hypothetically you could buy one of the SUVs and tow around a trailer if you needed to haul something, but it's preposterously silly. You wouldn't ever dare take one offroad because it would cost an arm and a leg to fix anything. You wouldn't want kids to go near them for fear of wrecking the interior.

I guess it's just a product of my lifestyle: I don't think I'd ever buy a luxury car, let alone own one for the rest of my life. And it's a little hard to fathom a lifestyle which would accommodate that.