My Review: 2010 Camaro SS

Started by SVT666, January 31, 2010, 02:15:58 PM

Schadenfreude

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 07, 2010, 05:28:35 PM
That's all good and well, but ultimately the Camaro is an inferior, inefficient design. Yes the Camaro is like 1/2 the price, but I don't think there's anything extravagant about the M3's chassis. They could have maybe gone with the little Solstice chassis.

I doubt GM would've reached their targeted price point if they did that.  The hydroformed body panels in the Solstice are expensive; it would've been even more expensive if they made them the size needed to make the Camaro.

And also: the Solstice has ergonomic issues if I remember right (it's been awhile since I've driven one).

the Teuton

The Corvette has a huge-ass transmission tunnel. The platform could have been stretched, but the back seat would've been more Porsche 911 than G37.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on February 07, 2010, 07:07:52 PM
The Corvette has a huge-ass transmission tunnel. The platform could have been stretched, but the back seat would've been more Porsche 911 than G37.
We're getting into some heavy Monday night quarterbacking, but I'm sure they could modify the C6 chassis to accommodate an engine mounted tranny.

My overall point still being that the design was pretty inefficient.

SVT666

The Camaro is a weak effort in my opinion, but it doesn't make the car any less thrilling.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on February 07, 2010, 08:00:06 PM
The Camaro is a weak effort in my opinion, but it doesn't make the car any less thrilling.

When you have Lutz promising everything under the sun at affordable prices, things are bound to be cut. I still say Saab should have made a Sonnet using the platform.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 07, 2010, 08:01:21 PM
When you have Lutz promising everything under the sun at affordable prices, things are bound to be cut. I still say Saab should have made a Sonnet using the platform.

WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 07, 2010, 08:11:37 PM

WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!?

I said it about a month ago. They could have done so much more with that platform instead of wasting it on two of the same car that cannibalized the sales of one another.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 07, 2010, 07:51:43 PM
We're getting into some heavy Monday night quarterbacking, but I'm sure they could modify the C6 chassis to accommodate an engine mounted tranny.

My overall point still being that the design was pretty inefficient.

It's still too expensive.

Tave

Quote from: Schadenfreude on February 07, 2010, 07:06:14 PM
And also: the Solstice has ergonomic issues if I remember right (it's been awhile since I've driven one).

I didn't fit at all.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 07, 2010, 05:28:35 PM
That's all good and well, but ultimately the Camaro is an inferior, inefficient design. Yes the Camaro is like 1/2 the price, but I don't think there's anything extravagant about the M3's chassis. They could have maybe gone with the little Solstice chassis.

They killed that platform due to the cost of the hydroformed rails.  Those things were expensive as shit to make.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on February 08, 2010, 10:33:26 AM
They killed that platform due to the cost of the hydroformed rails.  Those things were expensive as shit to make.
Do they need to be hydroformed?

NomisR

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 10:53:50 AM
I got into and out of an Elise twice. Sitting in the car is as comfortable as it can be. No complaints there.

But swinging your leg(s) in before your body is a bit awkward. It's not an easy car to get into.

Getting in is easy.. just sit on the door sill and slump into the seat and proceed to slide into the seat.  Getting out takes some upper body strength. 

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 01:15:28 PM
When you have the opportunity to sit in an Elise, make sure you tape your ingress and egress and then send it to me. That's all I'm going to say.

Bitch, bitch, bitch...that's all you fucking do. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  on February 08, 2010, 01:44:47 PM
Bitch, bitch, bitch...that's all you fucking do. 

Your mother is a wallaby and your father smells of elderberries!

sportyaccordy

omicron

We do all know that the 190.4" Camaro rides on the same platform as the 203.1" Caprice, which is a far bigger difference than that between a 180" 335i coup? and a 189.8" 650i? The Camaro is the smallest variant of the Zeta platform, in other words, and strictly speaking is probably a size smaller than it would logically be.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: CJ on January 31, 2010, 09:28:57 PM

Saw one of those the other day, I was sorely disappointed.  They just looked kinda stupid on the road.  Way too big.  I guess that's what happens when you take it out of it's natural habitat, but still, I was looking forward to this car and it let me down.

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on February 10, 2010, 11:17:19 AM
Saw one of those the other day, I was sorely disappointed.  They just looked kinda stupid on the road.  Way too big.  I guess that's what happens when you take it out of it's natural habitat, but still, I was looking forward to this car and it let me down.

It's not the Challenger is too big, it's all your stupid microcars that are the problem. Get rid of those and the Challenger would look just fine. :devil:

hotrodalex

Quote from: ifcar on February 10, 2010, 11:28:07 AM
It's not the Challenger is too big, it's all your stupid microcars that are the problem. Get rid of those and the Challenger would look just fine. :devil:

:hesaid:

GoCougs

Nah, I don't think the Challenger looks all that hot in the flesh, even in and amongst the juggernauts roaming US highways and byways, but then again I was never a fan of the original E-body (Barracuda/Challenger) from yesteryear.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on February 10, 2010, 01:08:17 PM
Nah, I don't think the Challenger looks all that hot in the flesh, even in and amongst the juggernauts roaming US highways and byways, but then again I was never a fan of the original E-body (Barracuda/Challenger) from yesteryear.

I think the Challenger looks too fat and slab sided.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on February 10, 2010, 11:28:07 AM

Maybe.  It looks like a big block of plastic next to your typical Focuses and Golfs.  It was on the highway that I saw it, BTW.

SVT666

It looks badass in person.  I want one in a bad way even though it's very heavy and handles like crap.

sportyaccordy

The Challenger is a barge. They should have brought back the Daytona... IROC

LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!!

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 10, 2010, 04:28:29 PM
The Challenger is a barge. They should have brought back the Daytona... IROC

LOOK AT THAT SNOUT!!

Are you serious?

sportyaccordy

Vinsanity

that hood is way too long for a lil 4 banger. Anything that has a cheesy IROC decal on the doors should have a big rumbly V8 especially with a hood that long

hotrodalex

The Challenger looks sweet, but it had to be in SRT8 form. R/T is okay, but not ideal.