My Review: 2010 Camaro SS

Started by SVT666, January 31, 2010, 02:15:58 PM

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 11, 2010, 04:07:29 PM
The Challenger looks sweet, but it had to be in SRT8 form. R/T is okay, but not ideal.
I would get an R/T and then get aftermarket springs and anti-roll bars.  The SRT-8 is going to be a collector's item and I will never be able to afford one.

Colin

Well, I've just handed a bright yellow Camaro SS back to Avis at PHX, with more than few tears of sadness.

A full report will be forthcoming, but suffice to say that I just loved this car........... it's not perfect, but I reckon I could live with one as my only car (as a single bloke, that is easy to say!)...... yes, visibility is not brilliant but my proportions and seating position obviously helped me out as I did not have undue problems.

ifcar

Quote from: Colin on February 11, 2010, 06:25:36 PM
Well, I've just handed a bright yellow Camaro SS back to Avis at PHX, with more than few tears of sadness.

A full report will be forthcoming, but suffice to say that I just loved this car........... it's not perfect, but I reckon I could live with one as my only car (as a single bloke, that is easy to say!)...... yes, visibility is not brilliant but my proportions and seating position obviously helped me out as I did not have undue problems.

Do they offer it in Europe alongside the Corvette?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on February 10, 2010, 09:47:01 PM
that hood is way too long for a lil 4 banger. Anything that has a cheesy IROC decal on the doors should have a big rumbly V8 especially with a hood that long
Couldn't that thing mop the floor with a stock Foxbody 5.0?

And I don't know what lies beyond the engine in the nose...

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 11, 2010, 09:09:56 PM
Couldn't that thing mop the floor with a stock Foxbody 5.0?

And I don't know what lies beyond the engine in the nose...

NO.

It was a K-car based, FWD hatchback.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on February 11, 2010, 09:11:04 PM
NO.

It was a K-car based, FWD hatchback.

So? A Daytona IROC R/T could probably take a Fox-body Mustang. I wouldn't say it would "mop the floor", but they were quite quick.

Colin

Quote from: ifcar on February 11, 2010, 06:29:00 PM
Do they offer it in Europe alongside the Corvette?
No..... and to be honest, I don't think it would sell any more than a handful if they did.

A few people have done personal imports on Mustangs, and an even smaller number have brought in the Challenger. Even after the cost of shipping and UK import taxes, it is still a reasonable deal, but the running costs and the practicalities of cars like these in a CO2 obsessed world where gas is ?1.10 a litre  (that's not far short of $7 a US gallon!), parking spaces are limited and small mean that only the real muscle car afficianados would be interested......  Shame!

the Teuton

Quote from: Colin on February 11, 2010, 11:14:05 PM
No..... and to be honest, I don't think it would sell any more than a handful if they did.

A few people have done personal imports on Mustangs, and an even smaller number have brought in the Challenger. Even after the cost of shipping and UK import taxes, it is still a reasonable deal, but the running costs and the practicalities of cars like these in a CO2 obsessed world where gas is ?1.10 a litre  (that's not far short of $7 a US gallon!), parking spaces are limited and small mean that only the real muscle car afficianados would be interested......  Shame!

I've always wondered, though, what is the relative cost of living in Europe? Sure, $7/gallon is a lot, but if your wage is proportional to your expenditures in the same way it is in the US for the most part, it really isn't.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on February 11, 2010, 11:21:49 PM
I've always wondered, though, what is the relative cost of living in Europe? Sure, $7/gallon is a lot, but if your wage is proportional to your expenditures in the same way it is in the US for the most part, it really isn't.
It's EXPENSIVE! The French are getting really fucked by the Euro. The cost of everything is so much higher than when it was denoted in Francs. I keep asking people, "cui bono?" but nobody knows. Nobody seems to be happy with it!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on February 11, 2010, 11:33:29 PM
It's EXPENSIVE! The French are getting really fucked by the Euro. The cost of everything is so much higher than when it was denoted in Francs. I keep asking people, "cui bono?" but nobody knows. Nobody seems to be happy with it!

So it's expensive for them too? How is anyone happy over there? How can anyone afford to live there?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Colin

Quote from: the Teuton on February 11, 2010, 11:21:49 PM
Trust me, our wages are not index linked to gas prices!

It is a complex calculation to compare not just salaries but all taxes and the cost of living between countries..... but I think it is generally true to say that salaries in Western Europe are comparable or lower for equivalent professional jobs than they are in the US, and our tax rates are higher. We do get some of that back as generally our social welfare provisions are a bit less ungenerous.... You might think that the US is expensive (and housing in cities like New York and Los Angeles certainly is), but things like food, cars, etc are far cheaper in the US. Healthcare costs, though...... I think that is where Europe scores.

Any of you who have been to Europe recently will doubtless have come home shocked at how costly everything seems when you convert it into dollars............. let me tell you that as the Euro gained and gained against the Pound, starting at 1.70 to the pound in 2002 and reaching near parity in early 2009, the Euro Zone has become terrifyingly expensive for the Brits as well. Why do you think I am on vacation in the SW of the USA? (well, climate at this time of the year was also a factor, of course!).

GoCougs

I have decided I am going to test drive one. I am also going to test drive a Corvette. I will then compare the two (and I have my suspicions of what I will think)

(Know a guy at a local Chevy dealer that will set me up.)

SVT666

It's about time.  For someone who keeps telling the world the Camaro is easy to see out of and drives better then a Mustang, you should drive one.  You should drive a Mustang while you're at it.

Vinsanity

Quote from: SVT666 on March 26, 2010, 06:06:36 PM
It's about time.  For someone who keeps telling the world the Camaro is easy to see out of and drives better then a Mustang, you should drive one.  You should drive a Mustang while you're at it.

I wonder what car he would troll against then...

GoCougs

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on March 26, 2010, 02:17:28 PM
I have decided I am going to test drive one. I am also going to test drive a Corvette. I will then compare the two (and I have my suspicions of what I will think)

You should totally test drive an EVO X as well.  I love car shopping because it gives me an excuse to test drive all the random cars I've been curious about.

SVT32V

Quote from: GoCougs on March 26, 2010, 02:17:28 PM

Since you are such a strong proponent of the camaro you should put your money where your internetry is and buy an SS. 

hotrodalex

Quote from: CJ on March 26, 2010, 08:46:14 PM

Post reported for you being a douche.

Post reported for posting a useless post.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on March 27, 2010, 11:54:42 AM
:cheers:

So you and your buddy there are just going to drink beer in front of me, and hog all the popcorn? Ugh.  :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 27, 2010, 11:57:26 AM
So you and your buddy there are just going to drink beer in front of me, and hog all the popcorn? Ugh.  :rolleyes:
Yep! And drink up all the Jack!  :partyon:         :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: SVT666 on March 26, 2010, 06:06:36 PM

Cougs thinks it's easy to see out of a Camaro? I thought he was just a douche, not a liar
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

LOL - Romper Room and Straw Man Cometh. Nice work guys.

Anywho, I gots stymied for the test drive. Apparently, now they have a policy that unless you're ready to write a check there are no Camaro test drives. Reasoning is that their inventory is too small and the interest too high which was putting too many miles on their Camaros. Turns out they've always had this policy for the Corvette. I think that's been their policy all along, and this "contact" was just talking big about letting me take either for a spin.

As to testing driving other cars just for the heck of it we'll see. This place was really close and I thought I had a good line on getting an easy test drive. Oh, well. Some other time.

Quote from: GoCougs on March 27, 2010, 02:20:51 PM
LOL - Romper Room and Straw Man Cometh. Nice work guys.

Anywho, I gots stymied for the test drive. Apparently, now they have a policy that unless you're ready to write a check there are no Camaro test drives. Reasoning is that their inventory is too small and the interest too high which was putting too many miles on their Camaros. Turns out they've always had this policy for the Corvette. I think that's been their policy all along, and this "contact" was just talking big about letting me take either for a spin.

As to testing driving other cars just for the heck of it we'll see. This place was really close and I thought I had a good line on getting an easy test drive. Oh, well. Some other time.

Sounds like the dealers in your area need to get a reality check.  This is a Camaro, not a Ferrari.

That would piss me off to no end.  For me, a car that doesn't get test driven doesn't get bought.  I don't remember anything similar when I test drove vettes.  I guess they didn't have that no test drives policy on used vettes, but even then a salesmen offered a test drive in the then new C6 for comparison purposes.

Maybe Camaros are still rare in your area.  The local dealership around here has a ton of them piled up and some salesman suggests I take a look at a Camaro and take it for a spin everytime I take the vette in for an oil change (my ramps aren't low profile enough, and I don't feel like buying new ones for a once in a year event)

MX793

Quote from: 565 on March 27, 2010, 02:54:39 PM
Sounds like the dealers in your area need to get a reality check.  This is a Camaro, not a Ferrari.

That would piss me off to no end.  For me, a car that doesn't get test driven doesn't get bought.  I don't remember anything similar when I test drove vettes.  I guess they didn't have that no test drives policy on used vettes, but even then a salesmen offered a test drive in the then new C6 for comparison purposes.

Maybe Camaros are still rare in your area.  The local dealership around here has a ton of them piled up and some salesman suggests I take a look at a Camaro and take it for a spin everytime I take the vette in for an oil change (my ramps aren't low profile enough, and I don't feel like buying new ones for a once in a year event)

Dealers where I am are the same way about many cars (though not the Camaro, surprisingly).  I had two Hyundai dealerships tell me that I couldn't test drive a Genesis without making a commitment to buy first.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Cougs, go to Good Chevrolet.  They've got about 10 Camaros on their used lot you can take for a spin.  That's where I got my test drive.

Quote from: MX793 on March 27, 2010, 03:15:42 PM
Dealers where I am are the same way about many cars (though not the Camaro, surprisingly).  I had two Hyundai dealerships tell me that I couldn't test drive a Genesis without making a commitment to buy first.

Making commitment to buy before test driving is the ultimate paradox.  Why would I bother wasting my time test driving if I'm already sure I'm going to buy the car?

Honestly if some dealer said that to me I'd definitely tell them I'm definitely going to buy it, then test drive the FUCK out of the car, and then tell them to fuck off.