Upgrades?

Started by Colonel Cadillac, February 01, 2010, 01:14:39 AM

Colonel Cadillac

So my car is currently running fully stock from the factory. I'm not looking to do anything major, but do y'all have any suggestions for me to improve my vehicle? I have the 100k mile warranty, so I'm not looking to void anything either. I honestly don't know much about the inner workings of the car, so you'll have to bare with me, but what should I do? I see those K&N air filter commercials, maybe some other stuff could get me an extra HP or two?

I do wish I could throw a turbo in there, I'd be a gem for sure.

Speed_Racer

A set of more aggressive tires will do wonders for your handling and steering feel.

As for K&N filters, there's debate about whether they do a good enough job filtering out fine sediments. So perhaps some research is in order. Personally, I'm switching to AEM's DryFlow filter.

Rich

#1 High Performance Drivers Ed, and with this some new brake pads and fluid

#2 - like what speed racer said, better tires.  Get a set of summer tires and winter tires (you drive back to Conn. in winter?) if you currently have all seasons, I'd keep those on your stock wheels and get some new wheels with super sticky summer tires

#3, if you want a more aggressive feel, then get a bigger rear anti roll bar(from the RS4), and if you have more than 50k on the clock, I'd throw some new coilover suspension at it

Doesn't look like there's much in the way of power mods on the 3.2
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

I personally wouldn't spend money on air filters. The 1-2hp you MIGHT or might not gain seem like too much hassle with the risk of letting dust and dirt into the cylinders.

I agree, tires and suspension (rollbar) would help you feel more cookin' in the corners.
Will

sportyaccordy

Unfortunately the 3.0 doesn't have much in the way of upgrades

I would do the standard mods for all my cars:
Intake/exhaust
Suspension
Upgraded wheels/tires.

Car will be a lot more fun.

S204STi

I'd go for chassis upgrades first.  Exhaust upgrades, unless it's a full header-back system, will most likely result in more noise but no real gain in power, or a shift in the powerband to a less useful range.  Intakes can give you a few HP here and there in the powerband but I'm more concerned with proper filtration myself, and you never know what Audi will say if you have engine trouble down the road and they find an intake and exhaust on it.  Might check with them first.

At least with suspension stuff you're not taking as much risk, unless of course you go with huge heavy wheels with the wrong offset and they wipe out your front end, in which case you might also be liable for that. 

VTEC_Inside

Was never a huge fan of the K&N oiled filters. I've got an AEM DryFlow on my RSX and its definitely more restrictive than the original AEM oiled one (very similar if not identical to K&N). I could hear the difference between the two, but I'd rather have the better filtering. Ultimately the intoxicating sound of the VTEC changeover is why I keep the intake on the car.

Sway/roll bars can make a world of difference and are usually pretty cheap. I have the 3mm larger "Type R" bar on the back of my RSX and it completely transformed the cars handling. The car used to lean over on the outside front tire going into a corner. Its infinitely more even now and will actually oversteer slightly if provoked

My last plan is brakes. I've managed to cook them once to the point of fade and that sucks. Some Hawk HPS pads are in my cars future.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

r0tor

My answer depends upon what yu would want to upgrade and what you are going to do with the upgrade...

some things like an exhaust will probably net it a very small performance increase but make the car sound more involving.  Sway bars can have a decent handling upgrade without sacrificing ride quality too bad.  Coilovers from Stasis Engineering make the handling magical for the track.  A short throw shifter if the car is a manual tranny can also increase the driver feel of involvement.  Brake upgrades would be fairly not recognizable on the street but very nice for the track.  Wheels/ sticky tires are great for looks and grip (but if your suspension is soft the extra grip means more roll)....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Rupert

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 01, 2010, 03:52:42 AM
#1 High Performance Drivers Ed, and with this some new brake pads and fluid

#2 - like what speed racer said, better tires.  Get a set of summer tires and winter tires (you drive back to Conn. in winter?) if you currently have all seasons, I'd keep those on your stock wheels and get some new wheels with super sticky summer tires

#3, if you want a more aggressive feel, then get a bigger rear anti roll bar(from the RS4), and if you have more than 50k on the clock, I'd throw some new coilover suspension at it

Doesn't look like there's much in the way of power mods on the 3.2

Bingo.

Kid + expensive Audi + upgradez, yo = bad times, right after good times.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA