The Suzuki SX4 thread

Started by ifcar, February 01, 2010, 02:57:49 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 03:30:38 PM
You're going to Record Attempt your WRX? :wub:

What does that even mean?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 02:56:21 PM
Raza has a shovel.

Wrong kind, unless Raza's been doing it wrong this whole time.

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 03:32:15 PM
What does that even mean?

Subaru World Rally X Subaru Technica International Type Record Attempt.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 03:34:48 PM
Subaru World Rally X Subaru Technica International Type Record Attempt.

Right, but what does that have to do with gears?

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 03:35:33 PM
Right, but what does that have to do with gears?

The 5-speed transmission gear set he wants. It's short, and it's meant for the 2.0 engines that rev like hell. That said, with some torque (EJ25), it should accelerate like nothing else this side of a 911.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 03:39:07 PM
The 5-speed transmission gear set he wants. It's short, and it's meant for the 2.0 engines that rev like hell. That said, with some torque (EJ25), it should accelerate like nothing else this side of a 911.

Ok. And then top speed would be about 70 mph, I suppose.

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 03:40:57 PM
Ok. And then top speed would be about 70 mph, I suppose.

Probably more like 120 or so, but it'll be really quick.

Eye of the Tiger

Does it come with a sequential shift linkage?

J86

S204STi

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 06, 2010, 03:31:55 PM
Sorry I'm a jackass

:huh:

Your edit makes no sense.  Start over with a clean slate please.

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on February 06, 2010, 03:30:38 PM
You're going to Record Attempt your WRX? :wub:

I'd get the gearing which closest matches my car and then do a 3.90 final drive swap as well.  Gearing would be similar to the 08+ cars, which would be nice.  Mine is a bit tall, particularly a mile up where bottom end power suffers the most.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 03:53:31 PM
:huh:

Your edit makes no sense.  Start over with a clean slate please.

It don't just make sense, it makes DOLLA BILLZ. Ever hear the term "torque biasing differential"? That can generally be applied to any limited-slip differential, because that's exactly what they do: they the natural 50/50 torque split, and bias more torque to the slowest moving wheel.

Oh, just read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential#Benefits

S204STi

Ah, I see.  I misunderstood the relationship between torque and how it related to the spinning wheel.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on February 06, 2010, 04:22:18 PM
Ah, I see.  I misunderstood the relationship between torque and how it related to the spinning wheel.

You and me, both. It clicked for me when I thought about how as soon as a wheel breaks loose, it corresponds with a drop of load on the engine - torque through the entire drive train suddenly decreased to near zero, and that is how much torque is being applied to move the vehicle forward with both wheels, and probably why it is now stuck.

S204STi

Heh, cool.  ....learn something knew every day.  Interestingly, it turns out a helical LSD such as the one I linked wouldn't really give me additional traction in the snow.

Raza

I've dug my car out with my hands before.  State College could be a pain like that sometimes (one year, I had a parking spot on a slope, too, so I was able to get out, but got stuck getting back in.  My aunt's car got stuck in my driveway before and I got it out.

AWD is just nice, not necessary.  Some people need to see this more often: :facepalm:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I am finding myself really want a SX4. Here's hoping the used market isn't kind to them. I might want to pick-up a facelifted Sportback in a couple of years.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on February 11, 2010, 12:11:08 AM
I am finding myself really want a SX4. Here's hoping the used market isn't kind to them. I might want to pick-up a facelifted Sportback in a couple of years.

I've yet to see a SportBack in dealer inventory. I have seen a few manuals in the lower trims, at least, but you certainly won't have a lot to choose from when you're shopping.

WookieOnRitalin

Good review Brady.

What I find most interesting about the SX4 are two things. I like the variety of models with the SX4 and I think they are all strategically placed with a variety of options/packages/trims to accommodate most consumers at a variety of price ranges. The LE Sedan to the Sport Sedan. The Sportback to the Crossover with AWD and a couple more inches of ground clearance. The other thing I think often unnoticed about the SX4 is that is the same size as a Mazda3, Lancer Sportback, Impreza, Matrix, and Golf in a much smaller package with a shorter wheelbase, length, and width (same can said for the Fit). What is also impressive is that within that small package there 54 Cubes of cargo room with those fold down seats now including the floor board storage area. Those 54 Cubes best the all hatches in the segment except the Honda Fit.

I did not know that until I looked it up. It is funny that two subcompacts (though compact sized inside) are tops in cargo volume. So much is emphasized on utility when hatches are considered, but two subcompacts actually offer the most utility. With the SX4, there is a also the Crossover that offers 7 inches of ground clearance, roof racks, and AWD to boot making it even more utilitarian.

It seems like the SX4 is actually a hell of a deal. To me, there are only two real drawbacks. No sunroof/moonroof on their hatches and a small gas tank on the Crossover (11.9 gallons). Fuel efficiency is decent enough and is competitive for its size. It may be a little underpowered, but Zuki could easily fix that with a turbo or a bigger 4 cylinder. The Kizashi's four in the SX4 would be sex. 
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

"Fuel efficiency is decent enough and is competitive for its size."

Fuel economy is definitely a major weak point. With what subcompact is it competitive with? It's not competitive with many midsize cars.

Also, I've yet to put up the full review. Maybe next week.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on February 17, 2010, 07:56:36 AM
"Fuel efficiency is decent enough and is competitive for its size."

Fuel economy is definitely a major weak point. With what subcompact is it competitive with? It's not competitive with many midsize cars.

Also, I've yet to put up the full review. Maybe next week.

I agree, but when you stack up the SX4 against the Impreza, Lancer Sportback, Madza3, Golf base, Caliber, and Matrix (both the 1.8, and it bests the 2.4 AWD), it really is far more competitive. I do not think the people at Suzuki try to market the SX4 against subcompacts, but rather Compacts like they market the Kizashi against other midsize vehicles.

It depends on how you view the SX4 and what class you put it in. In some ways, you should put the Versa and Fit in the compact class due to their excellent interior volumes as well where their fuel efficiency is quite dominant.

For example, the SX4 sedan BOASTS 104 cubes of interior space while other sedans like the Civic (91 cubes) and Corolla (92 cubes) do not and an extra 3 cubes of Trunk space. From my perspective, that is quite a feet.

The kicker is that both vehicles deliver better fuel economy, but only by a couple numbers. The SX4 sedan comes in at 25/32 (EPA) with a CVT while the Civic manages 26/34 and the Corolla manages 26/34. Considering how much extra space you get inside the car and in the trunk, that is not so much of a compromise since a consumer is in fact buying a bigger car despite a smaller overall exterior size. To me, that is still competitive.

When you compare the SX4 to its hatchback competitors, the fuel economy numbers match up well AND it beats almost all of them in space and only a fraction of those offer AWD and fewer offer 7 inches of ground clearance.

It's closest competitors, the Impreza (20/26) and Matrix (20/26) with AWD do not achieve the fuel economy of the SX4 AWD AND you get more space in the SX4.

I thought the fuel economy sucked too Brady, but then I actually looked at the numbers.

Again, it depends on how a person views the SX4. When you look at its shear size, it is more compact than subcompact. How it compares overall to those vehicles is an entire question in of itself. I think you could answer that better than I can. I imagine that the SX4 lags behind those vehicles in terms of refinement, acceleration, and quality.

Overall, the SX4 is quite a package and it is pretty competitive.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 17, 2010, 08:55:53 AM
I agree, but when you stack up the SX4 against the Impreza, Lancer Sportback, Madza3, Golf base, Caliber, and Matrix (both the 1.8, and it bests the 2.4 AWD), it really is far more competitive. I do not think the people at Suzuki try to market the SX4 against subcompacts, but rather Compacts like they market the Kizashi against other midsize vehicles.

It depends on how you view the SX4 and what class you put it in. In some ways, you should put the Versa and Fit in the compact class due to their excellent interior volumes as well where their fuel efficiency is quite dominant.

For example, the SX4 sedan BOASTS 104 cubes of interior space while other sedans like the Civic (91 cubes) and Corolla (92 cubes) do not and an extra 3 cubes of Trunk space. From my perspective, that is quite a feet.

The kicker is that both vehicles deliver better fuel economy, but only by a couple numbers. The SX4 sedan comes in at 25/32 (EPA) with a CVT while the Civic manages 26/34 and the Corolla manages 26/34. Considering how much extra space you get inside the car and in the trunk, that is not so much of a compromise since a consumer is in fact buying a bigger car despite a smaller overall exterior size. To me, that is still competitive.

When you compare the SX4 to its hatchback competitors, the fuel economy numbers match up well AND it beats almost all of them in space and only a fraction of those offer AWD and fewer offer 7 inches of ground clearance.

It's closest competitors, the Impreza (20/26) and Matrix (20/26) with AWD do not achieve the fuel economy of the SX4 AWD AND you get more space in the SX4.

I thought the fuel economy sucked too Brady, but then I actually looked at the numbers.

Again, it depends on how a person views the SX4. When you look at its shear size, it is more compact than subcompact. How it compares overall to those vehicles is an entire question in of itself. I think you could answer that better than I can. I imagine that the SX4 lags behind those vehicles in terms of refinement, acceleration, and quality.

Overall, the SX4 is quite a package and it is pretty competitive.

Your interior volume figures are grossly inaccurate. Per the EPA website:

Passenger volume:
Corolla: 92 cubic feet
Civic: 91 cubic feet
SX4 sedan: 88 cubic feet

Trunk volume:
SX4 sedan: 14 cubic feet
Corolla: 12 cubic feet
Civic: 12 cubic feet

Combined:
Corolla: 104 cubic feet
Civic: 103 cubic feet
SX4: 102 cubic feet

The SX4 I was driving -- a front-drive manual hatchback -- does not have nearly the gas mileage of competing subcompact hatchbacks. Yes, the AWD option gives it a unique advantage, but the cars you mention are more alternatives than direct competitors. And the sedan's EPA ratings are finally acceptable by compact class standards (only with the CVT -- I look forward to finding out how fast and quiet that is) but neither space nor mileage matches the best.

Also, the automatic Civic's mileage ratings are 25/36.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on February 17, 2010, 09:04:54 AM
Your interior volume figures are grossly inaccurate. Per the EPA website:

Passenger volume:
Corolla: 92 cubic feet
Civic: 91 cubic feet
SX4 sedan: 88 cubic feet

Trunk volume:
SX4 sedan: 14 cubic feet
Corolla: 12 cubic feet
Civic: 12 cubic feet

Combined:
Corolla: 104 cubic feet
Civic: 103 cubic feet
SX4: 102 cubic feet

The SX4 I was driving -- a front-drive manual hatchback -- does not have nearly the gas mileage of competing subcompact hatchbacks. Yes, the AWD option gives it a unique advantage, but the cars you mention are more alternatives than direct competitors. And the sedan's EPA ratings are finally acceptable by compact class standards (only with the CVT -- I look forward to finding out how fast and quiet that is) but neither space nor mileage matches the best.

Also, the automatic Civic's mileage ratings are 25/36.

You're right. I was looking at car.com comparisons that have inaccurate data. Woops. They have every other vehicle right except for the SX4. In that case, I retract my argument for competitive interior space. I feel dumb.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on February 17, 2010, 09:20:55 AM
You're right. I was looking at car.com comparisons that have inaccurate data. Woops. They have every other vehicle right except for the SX4. In that case, I retract my argument for competitive interior space. I feel dumb.

Car.com or Cars.com? I use Cars.com a lot -- perhaps I need to switch sources...

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on February 17, 2010, 09:31:11 AM
Car.com or Cars.com? I use Cars.com a lot -- perhaps I need to switch sources...

Cars.com. Typo. It was strange. All the other volumes were correct except the SX4. The Sedan is listed at 104 cubes and 15.5 cubes of trunk space. How the hell did that happen?
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

the Teuton