VW Touareg

Started by 2o6, February 10, 2010, 02:46:23 PM

2o6

Seems to be the day for unveils. It looks really nice, if a bit bland.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/10/officially-official-2011-volkswagen-touareg/

Beautiful interior.

the Teuton

So how did they cut almost 500 lbs. from it?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on February 10, 2010, 03:04:04 PM

Probably by making it smaller. IIRC, this is basically a stretched/reworked Q5.

r0tor

Quote from: 2o6 on February 10, 2010, 03:37:41 PM
Probably by making it smaller. IIRC, this is basically a stretched/reworked Q5.

no... Q7/Cayenne platform
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

68_427

I wonder how much power the supercharged V6 in the hybrid makes.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

Pleasantly generic, just like the current car.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

The old one was more, um, hardcore.

I think I like the old one more, in fact.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

omicron

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on February 10, 2010, 05:16:02 PM
no... Q7/Cayenne platform

The Cayenne and the Touareg are twins, although it is
more VW then Porsche. The Q7 came later and used a stretched Touareg/Cayenne platform and ditched most of the offroad equipment.

Touareg 2 and Cayenne 2 are again twins.

Galaxy

Quote from: the Teuton on February 10, 2010, 03:04:04 PM

As standard the Touareg 2 will have to make due with the AWD drive system from the Tiguan, which is where most of the weight savings come from. As an option the the Touareg can be ordered with an AWD system for offroad use with a transfer case and rear and center diff locks.

r0tor

How badly does the Tiguan's 4Motion suck?  I believe its a haldex with 2 open diff's and a bunch of electronic wizardry to try and make up for something worthwhile..

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2010, 09:55:49 AM
How badly does the Tiguan's 4Motion suck?  I believe its a haldex with 2 open diff's and a bunch of electronic wizardry to try and make up for something worthwhile..

The biggest problem wih launching the Tiguan on ice or other slippery surfaces is that the diff will not engage if the rev difference between front and rear is to big. Note that "big" is rather small. Not sure if the system has been tweaked on the Touareg/Cayenne. I rather doubt that Porsche will use a fwd biased system.

On the one hand I am dissapointed that base Touaregs have been downgraded, on the other hand I am impressed that they are offering a capable system as an option. I am pretty certain that was Piech who insisted on that, since financially I doubt it makes sense.

r0tor

so the haldex won't distribute power if you romp on the gas and start spining the front wheels?  That doesn't sound right at all...

Galaxy

Btw. The V8 and W12 gassers are gone without replacement. The V10 TDI is being replaced with Audi's 4.2L V8 TDI which has has almost as much power and torque as the R 50 version of the V 10 TDI.

Pommes-T

Absolutely love it (as much as I can love a SUV...). VW made an awesome job reducing weight. The Hybrid has a lot of power and is said to consume 8,2l/100km. The design is evolutionary, but looks way more modern and I especially like the rear fenders that make the car look very muscular!
'00 BMW 523i

nickdrinkwater

It looks less like an SUV than the old car, if that is even possible.  The ground clearance looks a lot lower.  I think the old car had more character, especially in terms of its drivetrains. 

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on February 11, 2010, 10:25:56 AM
so the haldex won't distribute power if you romp on the gas and start spining the front wheels?  That doesn't sound right at all...

When it's moving I am sure the traction control will prevent the rev difference from being that great. It is a problem, when e.g. you're on a slippery slope when it is impossible to get going without some slip.

Edit: Here is a picture.

Galaxy

I just fiddled around with the Touareg on the german configurator...

The base engine, in this case the V6 TDI starts at ? 50,700. The Hybrid will set you back at least ?73,500.  A loaded Touareg comes in at ? 96,000. Have they gone raving mad?

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on February 15, 2010, 12:05:25 PM
When it's moving I am sure the traction control will prevent the rev difference from being that great. It is a problem, when e.g. you're on a slippery slope when it is impossible to get going without some slip.

Edit: Here is a picture.

I think i saw a video on that and from what i read that tested was a FWD

The Gen IV Haldex system is suppose to be able to lock the front/rear in speed and transmit almost 100% of the torque to the rear... well in theory anyway

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on February 15, 2010, 05:00:39 PM
I think i saw a video on that and from what i read that tested was a FWD

The Gen IV Haldex system is suppose to be able to lock the front/rear in speed and transmit almost 100% of the torque to the rear... well in theory anyway

Here is a picture of the same Tiguan.

The last two letters  of TSI are red meaning that this is the 200hp TSI, which only comes in AWD form.

r0tor

we get a 200hp TSI with FWD

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on February 15, 2010, 06:20:17 PM
we get a 200hp TSI with FWD

Interesting, looks like the 200hp TSI is the only engine offered in NA.

r0tor

i think the 4motions actually have a 4motion badge as well from most of the pics i see

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on February 16, 2010, 05:38:24 PM
i think the 4motions actually have a 4motion badge as well from most of the pics i see

They don't. At least not the european ones. The Tiguan pictured has AWD. Why it behaves like that I don't know. It may simply be broken. It could be a software glitch.

http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.motor-talk.de%2Fforum%2Fversagt-der-allrad-t2029120.html&sl=de&tl=en

Here is an entry from a german forum where some one reports this exact problem. Other drivers claim they never experienced this so... :huh:

cawimmer430

I wonder if Treppy is going to buy another one?  :thumbsup:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie