Car Ramp Thingy

Started by TurboDan, February 13, 2010, 09:35:58 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 15, 2010, 02:44:26 PM
They should put a chock shape thing at the end of those ramps.

I think that's what the massive bump is for. :huh:

Plus, most that I've seen have a sort of cup shape for the tire to sit in, so that once you drive onto the ramp, the tire actually "drops" into a stable location, with that guard at the front end to prevent you from going over too easily.

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on February 15, 2010, 11:36:24 AM
yup... bought some and they dont work for my car either... and then i tried driving up on 2x4's and then the ramp and it cleared but it was very hard to control the gas/brake/clutch and i became extemely paranoid i was going to overshoot the ramp and really f&ck things up
Well I got mine for free so it was no big deal. One of the guys at work threw them in the metal bin.
They do work for my girlfriends civic. I hate changing the oil in that thing. I'd like to slap Honda.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 15, 2010, 02:50:33 PM

Plus, most that I've seen have a sort of cup shape for the tire to sit in, so that once you drive onto the ramp, the tire actually "drops" into a stable location, with that guard at the front end to prevent you from going over too easily.

my tires are too wide to fit in that little cup thingy... they just ride on the outside of the ramp

They seem easy enough to drive up when your just looking at them - completely different ball game when your actually driving up them (especially with a clutch)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: TurboDan on February 14, 2010, 11:39:42 AM
Come to think of it, does the angle of the ramp affect oil drainage at all?

Both my cars have the drains on the back at about a 45 degree angle. The angle actually helps.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Rupert on February 14, 2010, 05:46:03 PM
How much room do you need to change your oil? I don't even jack up the Explorer.

I don't jack up the RSX either, lol... I just drive the front tires up onto a spare set of paving stones I have. Of course I change the oil filter from the top on that car so I'm not really doing much underneath.

But, on my gfs old '92 Integra, I had to forego the creeper and slither under to the point where I could see the oil filter.

Onslaught

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 15, 2010, 04:48:07 PM
Both my cars have the drains on the back at about a 45 degree angle. The angle actually helps.

That's another reason I don't use them on the RX-8. For some reason the 09's have the drain on the front of the pan.

hotrodalex

I had to jack up The Road about 2 feet in the air when I changed the oil. The filter was stuck as could be and I couldn't get any leverage. Didn't help that I busted a weld on my filter remover tool either.

Eye of the Tiger

I've never driven over the ramps, but on numerous occasions, they shot out from in front of the car, with the wheels spinning trying to get up, and banged into the wall of the garage/my work bench. Slippery garage floor + metal ramps = dumb. At some point, I decided to put scrap carpet padding under the ramps and that worked pretty guud.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 15, 2010, 02:50:33 PM
I think that's what the massive bump is for. :huh:

Mine don't have that? I don't think they do...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rupert on February 15, 2010, 10:23:19 PM
Mine don't have that? I don't think they do...

Sounds like you need some new ramps. :devil:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 15, 2010, 09:22:32 PM
I've never driven over the ramps, but on numerous occasions, they shot out from in front of the car, with the wheels spinning trying to get up, and banged into the wall of the garage/my work bench. Slippery garage floor + metal ramps = dumb. At some point, I decided to put scrap carpet padding under the ramps and that worked pretty guud.

Go back and look at the picture I posted on the first page of this topic.  That will stop your ramps from sliding around.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 15, 2010, 09:22:32 PM

That's another plus with the rhino ramps, they have a solid rubber foot just under the leading edge of the ramp. As soon as any pressure is on the ramp they pretty much stay put. Granted I've only ever used them on asphalt.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 14, 2010, 10:58:57 AM
I've got a set of metal ramps I really like.  Whatever you buy make sure they are sturdy. Two other points to check on.

That's the sweetest garage ever.

And can you imagine carmakers making the underside of the car (red Jag) that beautiful anymores???
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 16, 2010, 09:40:01 PM
That's the sweetest garage ever.

And can you imagine carmakers making the underside of the car (red Jag) that beautiful anymores???

Thanks.

No, you hardly saw it when those cars were being built.  Most finished panels ended at the bumper line or the valance panel below the bumper.

sportyaccordy

Big jack + jack stands work for me

My car would never ever ever ever ever make it up a ramp. You need something with decent ground clearance and minimal overhang (like a BMW or something)

Rupert

My Miata went up ramps fine.