Car Ramp Thingy

Started by TurboDan, February 13, 2010, 09:35:58 AM

TurboDan

A while back, someone posted a link to this ramp-like thingy that allows you to get under your car for routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.). Seems like it would be a good alternative to a floor jack. Does anyone have the link to where I could buy one of these?

giant_mtb

Go to Wal-Mart or any car parts store like Advance Auto.  They have ramps.  Should be about 30-40 bucks.

TurboDan

Sweet! Thanks!

I'm tired of minimum wage oil change dudes half-assing the job and refusing to put my skid-plate back on correctly, causing the damn thing to nearly fall off a couple days later. Plus the idea of a $70 oil change for synthetic drives me insane. It got worse this week when I went to pay and the lady behind the counter asked "How much do you want to leave for a tip?" Tip? WTF? You already raped me for $70 for the damn oil change in the first place - not to mention the guy called out "Who has the Jetta" and when I said "I have a Passat, you mean me?" he gave me a snarky "Whatever" and rolled his eyes. How the hell am I supposed to know there wasn't a Jetta owner there too? Arrrrgghhhh oil change places annoy the shit outta me.

OK, rant over!  :ohyeah: :ohyeah: :ohyeah:

:lol: :lol:

Rupert

A tip for a car mechanic? And not even a real one? Wow.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

Rhino Ramps are Jesus Ramps.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

I don't trust those.

I like jackstands.

Secret Chimp

I think your car is going to be a lot more stable on ramps than on jackstands.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

93JC

My dad had a sweet set of metal ramps, but they're gone. Not sure what the hell he did with 'em. :rage:

VTEC_Inside

Happy Rhino Ramp owner here.

Only beef is that they are a bit lower than your basic metal ramp. That's not an issue just doing an oil change, but really limits what you can get to if you are on a creeper.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Rupert

Low is good if you have a sports car.

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on February 13, 2010, 01:07:39 PM
A tip for a car mechanic? And not even a real one? Wow.

I've received a tip twice, both amounting to a total of $2.  Not really a tipping industry IMO...

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Rupert on February 14, 2010, 01:31:34 AM
Low is good if you have a sports car.

No doubt, but it kinda defeats the point of driving it up on ramps if you still don't have enough room to do anything under there.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Byteme

I've got a set of metal ramps I really like.  Whatever you buy make sure they are sturdy. Two other points to check on.

1.  Make sure the front overhand of the car doesn't hit the ramps before the tire touches the ramp part.  If tha t happens the car will just push the ramp out or the way.  You can overcome this by placing a short length of 2X6 in front of the ramp for the car to roll on before it gets to the ramp.

2.  On slick surface, like my garage floor (tiled) the tire will just push the ramp around instead of rolling up the ramp.  Make sure ou use the ramps on a surface that will not let the ramps slide like that.  I fixed that by attaching a web strap to each ramp.  Ehen the front tire contacts the ramp the rear tire is on the strap preventing the ramp from sliding.  The below picture shows the straps and ramps after the rear wheels are off the car.

General tims when using ramps or jackstands.

NEVER GET UNDER THE CAR WHEN IT IS ONLY ON A JACK.   Lower the car onto jackstands and then leave the jack in position to take the load if the jackstand fails.

Before you get under the car grab hold of a fender and give the car a good shake in all directions.  If it moves a bit it isn't stable enough for me to crawl under.  

TurboDan

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 13, 2010, 11:36:31 PM
Happy Rhino Ramp owner here.

Only beef is that they are a bit lower than your basic metal ramp. That's not an issue just doing an oil change, but really limits what you can get to if you are on a creeper.

Come to think of it, does the angle of the ramp affect oil drainage at all?

giant_mtb

Quote from: TurboDan on February 14, 2010, 11:39:42 AM

Get four! :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on February 14, 2010, 07:56:16 AM
I've received a tip twice, both amounting to a total of $2.  Not really a tipping industry IMO...

What was that? 0.2%?

Rupert

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on February 14, 2010, 09:28:53 AM
No doubt, but it kinda defeats the point of driving it up on ramps if you still don't have enough room to do anything under there.

How much room do you need to change your oil? I don't even jack up the Explorer.

93JC

It depends on what you're working on. Some cars are quite difficult to work on. The Spirit's front-end was so frigging long that I didn't bother with jackstands or ramps: I'd take off the passenger side wheel. It was the easiest way to get to the drain plug. With the Jeep I didn't need to do anything, it had lots of clearance underneath it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: TurboDan on February 14, 2010, 11:39:42 AM

Depends on where the drain plug is. Mine is at the rear of the oil pan, so if anything, having the front end of the car up would help.

I've thought about getting ramps, but I usually rotate my tires when I change my oil, so there would be no point.

Onslaught

I've got 4 you can have. Can't get either of my cars up them because my bumpers are too low.

r0tor

yup... bought some and they dont work for my car either... and then i tried driving up on 2x4's and then the ramp and it cleared but it was very hard to control the gas/brake/clutch and i became extemely paranoid i was going to overshoot the ramp and really f&ck things up
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

If you're worried about overshooting, do a mock set up right next to the vehicle as though the car was on the ramps and put some wheel chocks in front of the rear wheels and place them properly for the real thing. If that makes sense. :mask:

MrH

You can't modulate your clutch enough to inch forward? :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rupert

That gets tricky when you start on a flat, have to inch uphill for a short ways, and they are suddenly on a flat again.

I mean, I can do it, but it's tricky. ;)

giant_mtb

Quote from: MrH on February 15, 2010, 01:55:48 PM
You can't modulate your clutch enough to inch forward? :confused:

I don't think inching up a 15-20 degree slope onto a flat surface about a foot long with self-destruct written on the other side is something that's exactly "easy" or "relaxing" to do.  I still am extremely cautious and slightly nervous when doing it in my automatic vehicles.   :huh:

Rupert

They should put a chock shape thing at the end of those ramps.