MECHANICS: Is this a good price?

Started by the Teuton, February 13, 2010, 07:56:33 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 17, 2010, 07:51:44 PM
It takes like ten seconds to weld a piece of straight pipe in, even on stainless. If it takes longer than that, then the mechanic is not a skilled welder, and therefore, should not be charging a full hourly rate.

No offense, but I don't think you under the concept of charging for services.  The cost is more than the small bit of time it takes toa cutally weld the part.  That shop and equipment didn't just fall out of nowhere.  There are overhead costs to be covered, the time to do the repair is more than the time to do the actual welding, the car has to be put onthe lift, the length of pipe fabricated, everything prepped, the welding itself, cleanup, putting the car back on the lot, and perhaps a brief test drive.

This reminds me of an old story where a pieceof very complicated equipment went down.  The company called the equipment maker who sent out a technician to fix the problem.  The technician spent 1/2 hour doing something and submitted the bill.  $800.  The company manager was stunned and asked for an itimization of the bill since he argued the work only took 30 minutes it should have just billed about $30.  So the technician re wrote the bill:  

Reset mechanism:   $30.00
Knowing how to reset mechanism:  $770.00

The point is there are costs in the background that must be covered.

I needed to do a bit of welding so rather than take the piece to the shop I bought a flux wire welder, auto darkening hood, proper gloves and safety stuff, spare tips and wire, etc.  I haven't recouped the cost in what I've saved by doing it myself.  And no one is welding a job like that in "10 seconds".

S204STi

Quote from: Onslaught on February 18, 2010, 07:50:57 AM
Yep. And then go buy all the shit we had to so you can do the job. Have fun with that one.

Yeah, I've got probably $20k sitting in my bay, and that's nothing compared to some of these guys.  Add to that the $25k for WyoTech, and the general bullshit that we have to deal with on a daily basis and it frankly makes me wonder why I don't ask for more.  If I made even 25% of our shop rate I'd instantly see a $5k/yr pay raise.

S204STi

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 18, 2010, 07:53:48 AM
This reminds me of an old story where a pieceof very complicated equipment went down.  The company called the equipment maker who sent out a technician to fix the problem.  The technician spent 1/2 hour doing something and submitted the bill.  $800.  The company manager was stunned and asked for an itimization of the bill since he argued the work only took 30 minutes it should have just billed about $30.  So the technician re wrote the bill: 

Reset mechanism:   $30.00
Knowing how to reset mechanism:  $770.00

lol, that's awesome.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 18, 2010, 07:53:48 AM
No offense, but I don't think you under the concept of charging for services.  The cost is more than the small bit of time it takes toa cutally weld the part.  That shop and equipment didn't just fall out of nowhere.  There are overhead costs to be covered, the time to do the repair is more than the time to do the actual welding, the car has to be put onthe lift, the length of pipe fabricated, everything prepped, the welding itself, cleanup, putting the car back on the lot, and perhaps a brief test drive.

This reminds me of an old story where a pieceof very complicated equipment went down.  The company called the equipment maker who sent out a technician to fix the problem.  The technician spent 1/2 hour doing something and submitted the bill.  $800.  The company manager was stunned and asked for an itimization of the bill since he argued the work only took 30 minutes it should have just billed about $30.  So the technician re wrote the bill: 

Reset mechanism:   $30.00
Knowing how to reset mechanism:  $770.00

The point is there are costs in the background that must be covered.

I needed to do a bit of welding so rather than take the piece to the shop I bought a flux wire welder, auto darkening hood, proper gloves and safety stuff, spare tips and wire, etc.  I haven't recouped the cost in what I've saved by doing it myself.  And no one is welding a job like that in "10 seconds".

How many times do I have to say that I am talking about GETTING THE BEST DEAL AS A CONSUMER. More times, I guess...
GETTING THE BEST DEAL AS A CONSUMER
GETTING THE BEST DEAL AS A CONSUMER means you don't go to shops with high overhead costs for minor repairs. Did I already say that? Did I? Yes, I did. Of course, nobody will acknowledge that fact because they are too busy trying to lecture me about how to run a business. Do you go to a Lamborghini dealership to get an oil change on a Taurus? Well, you probably would, but I'd go to Jimbo's Lube Xpress, because I know he's good at lubes, but has low overhead and reasonable prices. Fuck.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

I could go to my shop and get a paint job fro about +2K.
I could go to Maco and get one for $250.00

Now the cheap one is a good price but the work is shit. If I took my car in to have something welded on it and they just charged me $40 to do it then I'd think they sucked ass.
I wouldn't even go look at a car for that much.

Byteme

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 18, 2010, 11:36:34 AM

GETTING THE BEST DEAL AS A CONSUMER means you don't go to shops with high overhead costs for minor repairs. Did I already say that? Did I? Yes, I did. Of course, nobody will acknowledge that fact because they are too busy trying to lecture me about how to run a business. Do you go to a Lamborghini dealership to get an oil change on a Taurus? Well, you probably would, but I'd go to Jimbo's Lube Xpress, because I know he's good at lubes, but has low overhead and reasonable prices. Fuck.

No, I understood exactly what you meant.  I was simply pointing out that the price paid in this instance might not be an unfair price. $40 for the same job may be OK, Could be one could find a welder who isn't doning much that day and wants to do something for a few dollars.  Could also be that $80 is the right price and $40 buys a crap job.

In the oil change example you left out the only viable choice for me.  I'd change my own oil.    ;)

the Teuton

The breakdown for the price was this:

Parts $20 :orly:
Labor $60
Student discount: $6
7% tax
--------------------
$79.18

I have no way of telling how the work was without jacking the car up, but it's really quiet.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

An hour labor ain't bad, and if this shop has low overhead 60/hr might be reasonable.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 18, 2010, 12:50:10 PM
An hour labor ain't bad, and if this shop has low overhead 60/hr might be reasonable.

It's a guy working out of his garage. But somehow he has the ability to make it all work, so I'm not complaining.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Byteme

Quote from: the Teuton on February 18, 2010, 12:54:41 PM
It's a guy working out of his garage. But somehow he has the ability to make it all work, so I'm not complaining.

At the end of the day that's all that matters.

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on February 18, 2010, 03:39:52 PM
Mutant Ninja Turtles?

No. They use their novelty to pass on their excessive overhead to the people, and Shredder continues to come back time, and time again.

JWC

The best deals for the consumer are at Walmart.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on February 16, 2010, 10:42:35 AM
It has 628 on the trip odometer. I know I left it with right around 600ish because I left work with it at 580 the other day, and it takes about 20 miles to get home. Still, water under the bridge. I only put $7 of gas in it last week.

You get 600+ miles on a tank?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Pretty nice range!  I get maybe 300 on a tank most of the time.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on February 26, 2010, 09:15:40 AM
Pretty nice range!  I get maybe 300 on a tank most of the time.

I think I can push it out to 375-400 if I get decent traffic, but I usually end up fueling at around 320-350.  The worst thing is hopping on the highway, getting 20 miles out, and realizing you don't have enough gas to make it to work.  It hasn't happened yet, since I keep a tight lid on it, but I have gotten close.  You get in the car, fire it up, look at the gas gauge and say "I have enough gas to make it to work...if traffic is light..."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2010, 09:27:14 AM
I think I can push it out to 375-400 if I get decent traffic, but I usually end up fueling at around 320-350.  The worst thing is hopping on the highway, getting 20 miles out, and realizing you don't have enough gas to make it to work.  It hasn't happened yet, since I keep a tight lid on it, but I have gotten close.  You get in the car, fire it up, look at the gas gauge and say "I have enough gas to make it to work...if traffic is light..."

I'm vaguely anal about this.  I can't stand embarking on a long trip with less than a full tank.  Even if I have more than half a tank, if it's going to be a long drive I like to start topped off.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on February 26, 2010, 09:27:14 AM

I did that once when the next gas station was 55mi away.  I made it almost exactly 53mi on a solid fuel tank light before running out. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: J86 on February 26, 2010, 09:29:09 AM
I'm vaguely anal about this.  I can't stand embarking on a long trip with less than a full tank.  Even if I have more than half a tank, if it's going to be a long drive I like to start topped off.

I'm the same way.  Whenever I'd drive to or from school, (210 miles), I always knew it would take no more than half a tank.  I never made the trip without a full tank though. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

I'm a bit different.  I like to cover as much territory as quickly as possible, so sometimes I just start off even if I know I need to fuel up later and try to make it as far as I can before stopping.  Odd logic I know... if I just filled up to start with I guess I'd make it even further before stopping again.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Rupert on February 26, 2010, 08:43:12 PM
He doesn't get 600 miles to a tank.

Are you saying he doesn't reset his trip odometer with each tank?  That's insanity!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rupert

That is what I am saying, and what I am saying is that.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

My longest trip on one tank is 250miles, in the Subie.  (Small tank, I get about 22mpg, mostly the 5miles to work and back.)
The van does 450+, I'm not sure since I don't fill it up that often. At least the wife DOES reset the tripmeter on fillups now..
Will

Onslaught

Quote from: J86 on February 26, 2010, 09:29:09 AM
I'm the same way. But when one cars tank is the size of a thimble and the other one sucks fuel faster than I can drink rum then I've got no choice.

Rupert

When I drive west out of ID, I leave on whatever gas I have, and stop at The Last Gas Station That Lets You Pump Your Own before hitting Oregon. :lol:

the Teuton

:lol:

I'm lucky to get much better than 350 miles per tank if I push it. My tank is only 12 gallons. It has a small bladder.

Raza

I've only got 14 gallons myself.  I fill up 7-8 times a month. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i