MECHANICS: Is this a good price?

Started by the Teuton, February 13, 2010, 07:56:33 PM

the Teuton

So pretend my car was a little newer and had 5 lugs instead of 4. This is basically what happened with my car -- the flange rusted apart from the pipe. The car has been driven about 300 miles since it happened, and the pipe has been beaten to shit on the part where it's rubbing the ground. I am working with an independent mechanic right now to get it fixed, so it should be done tomorrow night at the earliest. He is cutting off the rusted flange, the beaten-to-hell part of the pipe, and welding a new piece of pipe in its place. The quote I got was $80 for everything.

Good price? I know it's still under $100, but the other day, some of you were quoting $50-60 for such things, so I thought I would ask if this all seems fair.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

I don't think 80$ versus 60$ is that big of a deal.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on February 13, 2010, 08:20:45 PM
I don't think 80$ versus 60$ is that big of a deal.

That's a 25 percent difference. It's not like it's life-shattering. I just want to know I'm getting a good deal.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Secret Chimp

Quote from: the Teuton on February 13, 2010, 08:21:30 PM
That's a 25 percent difference. It's not like it's life-shattering. I just want to know I'm getting a good deal.

You really do deserve to have those Star of David hubcaps.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

the Teuton

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 13, 2010, 08:26:05 PM
You really do deserve to have those Star of David hubcaps.

So a mechanic at any other shop would probably charge me more than $80?

Eye of the Tiger

It's not a great deal, especially for just a straight piece of pipe and two welds, but it's not a total ripoff. If your entire exhaust is likely to need replacement soon, I'd consider replacing the whole thing right off, instead of fixing it in several inconvenient stages. You should be able to get an entire cat-back done for roughly twice that price - and I'm talking cheaper aluminized steel, not stainless (overkill for a cheap used car). 
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Considering your typical shop charges $60 an hour just for labor and that job sounds like it would be at least an hour, $80 doesn't sound unreasonable.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

the Teuton

Quote from: MX793 on February 13, 2010, 08:33:51 PM
Considering your typical shop charges $60 an hour just for labor and that job sounds like it would be at least an hour, $80 doesn't sound unreasonable.

Cheap shops around here have been running at about $70-75 and the more expensive are right around $92, for reference. But the labor should be an hour or so?

I just need this car to safely and relatively quietly get me to New York in two weeks.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on February 13, 2010, 08:33:51 PM
Do-it-all ASE certified guys do charge that much.
That's why you go to a hole-in-the-wall exhaust shop with a guy that only does exhausts all day, and can fab up an entire dual exhaust on a 79 LeMans with newly installed headers for $200 in less than an hour, blindfolded.

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 13, 2010, 08:40:12 PM
That's why you go to a hole-in-the-wall exhaust shop with a guy that only does exhausts all day, and can fab up an entire dual exhaust on a 79 LeMans with newly installed headers for $200 in less than an hour, blindfolded.

This is from a hole in the wall place. That's why I'm able to get the car back on a Sunday night possibly. But I want to know what is fair for a job like this.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 13, 2010, 08:41:30 PM
This is from a hole in the wall place. That's why I'm able to get the car back on a Sunday night possibly. But I want to know what is fair for a job like this.

Im sure its a hole in the wall, but the price is high compared to an exhaust shop. It's not that bad, though. Dont worry so much.

Onslaught

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 13, 2010, 08:40:12 PM
If he's good then he'll charge you. I would.

TBR

I'd just be happy to have found someone willing to do it on a weekend.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on February 13, 2010, 10:07:06 PM
If he's good then he'll charge you. I would.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.  It sounds like Teuton needs a small, straight section of pipe put in. Anyone can charge an hour labor plus parts and most customers will pay it, but a good exhaust guy would do it for next to nothing.
He could do it himself with a $5 section of pipe, $4 for two clamps, and a sawzall or hacksaw.

S204STi

Yeah it's actually not that easy, but I agree with Josh and others, this is a relative steal.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on February 14, 2010, 07:58:32 AM
Yeah it's actually not that easy, but I agree with Josh and others, this is a relative steal.

That's all I wanted to hear. Danke! :ohyeah:

Onslaught

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 14, 2010, 12:33:23 AM
I'm not sure what you're getting at.  It sounds like Teuton needs a small, straight section of pipe put in. Anyone can charge an hour labor plus parts and most customers will pay it, but a good exhaust guy would do it for next to nothing.
He could do it himself with a $5 section of pipe, $4 for two clamps, and a sawzall or hacksaw.
In our line of work you never charge actual time. I can fix things in less than half the time the book gives but you don't see me giving the money back when I'm done.
If I was a good exhaust person who could fix things fast then I'd want to get paid for the fact that A. I'm good and B. It took time for me to get good so you've got to pay for that.

The Pirate

Yeah, good price Teuts.  Last time I had something very, very similar to that done it was around $65.  That was almost 4 years ago, and with material price increases, inflation, etc. that seems very reasonable.

One thing to recommend though:  have him inspect the rest of the exhaust system for potential failures in the near future.  Like Nick said, if something else is going to go soon, it's best to just more now and be done with it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

MX793

Quote from: Onslaught on February 14, 2010, 01:44:21 PM
In our line of work you never charge actual time. I can fix things in less than half the time the book gives but you don't see me giving the money back when I'm done.
If I was a good exhaust person who could fix things fast then I'd want to get paid for the fact that A. I'm good and B. It took time for me to get good so you've got to pay for that.

I suspect that the "book" often takes into account worst case contingencies that you might only encounter 10% of the time.  Stuff like you accidentally break the head off of a rusted bolt and then have to spend a bunch of time screwing around trying to remove the rest of the bolt.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: MX793 on February 15, 2010, 03:21:12 PM
I suspect that the "book" often takes into account worst case contingencies that you might only encounter 10% of the time.  Stuff like you accidentally break the head off of a rusted bolt and then have to spend a bunch of time screwing around trying to remove the rest of the bolt.
I don't think so. That fucking book is paying less and less to do things every year.
And regardless if you're good at something you're not going to charge less to do it just to be nice.

the Teuton

My car is done. He said the exhaust, as it is, is generally like Swiss cheese. Still, it's a lot quieter than it was. I'm not worried. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on February 15, 2010, 06:45:06 PM
My car is done. He said the exhaust, as it is, is generally like Swiss cheese. Still, it's a lot quieter than it was. I'm not worried. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

It'll fall apart again in a week.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 13, 2010, 08:32:09 PM
It's not a great deal, especially for just a straight piece of pipe and two welds, but it's not a total ripoff. If your entire exhaust is likely to need replacement soon, I'd consider replacing the whole thing right off, instead of fixing it in several inconvenient stages. You should be able to get an entire cat-back done for roughly twice that price - and I'm talking cheaper aluminized steel, not stainless (overkill for a cheap used car). 
Yep

But then u have to do a cost benefit analysis of installing a $250 exhaust on a $250 car.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 15, 2010, 07:48:51 PM
Yep

But then u have to do a cost benefit analysis of installing a $250 exhaust on a $250 car.

I think he should sell it and get an STi

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 15, 2010, 07:47:38 PM
It'll fall apart again in a week.

I don't think so -- or at least I hope not. I don't need it going kaput in New York on me.

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Got the car back. Apparently, the exhaust is wearing out altogether, but it sounds really good right now...dare I say it, sporty. The car is quieter than it has ever been for me, and it's really smooth.

That said, after taxes, it came to a little under $80 and some gas money. It looks like he put about 30 miles on my car, but nothing was missing and there was no excessive oil burnoff, so color me impressed.  :praise:

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 16, 2010, 10:34:34 AM
30 miles? wtf

I believe I left the car with 1/8 tank of gas. It usually takes 20-30 miles for it to get to E (even though there are usually still 2 gallons left in the tank). I wish I would have recorded the miles before I left, but I'm thinking 20-30 miles.