"Service Engine Soon" Light

Started by dazzleman, February 20, 2010, 02:29:47 PM

dazzleman

A couple of weeks ago, my "service engine soon" light came on.  It disappeared shortly afterward and I forgot about it.

Yesterday, it came on again.  This time, I paid more attention.  I was low on gas.  After I filled the car up with gas today, the light was gone.

This never happened before.  Any ideas on the cause of this?  Is it something I need to have looked at?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Odd.

Was the fuel cap loose when you removed it?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT_Power

Don't worry. It's your car's way of telling you it wants you to do one of these

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on February 20, 2010, 02:48:32 PM
Don't worry. It's your car's way of telling you it wants you to do one of these

The things says "Service Engine Soon", not "Park the car for a year until you can decide if you should find a new engine or junk the whole heap and buy a Lumina."
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on February 20, 2010, 02:32:15 PM
Odd.

Was the fuel cap loose when you removed it?

I thought of that, but it didn't seem to be.

And the car's computer system indicated that nothing was amiss.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on February 20, 2010, 02:39:57 PM
Overdue for an oil change?

I just had an oil change, and the engine has plenty of oil pressure, according to the computer system.  Maybe I should pull the dipstick instead of relying on the computer.

sportyaccordy

I think its telling you to go ///M

S204STi

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on February 20, 2010, 03:28:51 PM
Car under warranty?

Yes, but only until March 3rd.  Yikes, I didn't realize how close that was.  Maybe I better take it in.

S204STi

Yeah, might as well get it checked out for free.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on February 20, 2010, 03:33:39 PM
Yes, but only until March 3rd.  Yikes, I didn't realize how close that was.  Maybe I better take it in.

You've had it that long with nothing even minor going amiss? That's odd for a BMW.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2010, 04:47:46 PM
You've had it that long with nothing even minor going amiss? That's odd for a BMW.

Nothing major went amiss with this car or my previous BMW.  They've both been great cars.  The only real problem I had with either one were minor electrical problems.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on February 20, 2010, 04:10:27 PM
Yeah, might as well get it checked out for free.

I guess, but that's such a PITA.  I have a lot going on this week, and I don't need this inconvenience.  I'll have to call the dealer on Monday.

the Teuton

Quote from: dazzleman on February 20, 2010, 04:53:01 PM
Nothing major went amiss with this car or my previous BMW.  They've both been great cars.  The only real problem I had with either one were minor electrical problems.

Minor electrical problems are the only things I've really seen go wrong with BMWs -- besides a $1,300 iDrive replacement...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on February 20, 2010, 04:56:08 PM
Minor electrical problems are the only things I've really seen go wrong with BMWs -- besides a $1,300 iDrive replacement...

Unless it's just replaced with another iDrive unit, that's money well spent.

AutobahnSHO

Check the manual- some cars it's just a "time for an oilchange" indicator..
Will

CALL_911

Go into iDrive and check the oil level.

Dad's car did that a couple of times. If you take it into the dealer, they'll top off some fluids/change the oil for you.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 20, 2010, 11:15:10 PM
Go into iDrive and check the oil level.

Dad's car did that a couple of times. If you take it into the dealer, they'll top off some fluids/change the oil for you.

I just had the oil changed.  I went into iDrive and it told me everything was great.

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on February 21, 2010, 06:36:01 AM
I just had the oil changed.  I went into iDrive and it told me everything was great.
It realized that it was a month too soon and still in warranty. The car will wait until a day out of warranty and start fucking shit up.

dazzleman

Quote from: Onslaught on February 21, 2010, 07:53:24 AM
It realized that it was a month too soon and still in warranty. The car will wait until a day out of warranty and start fucking shit up.

That's probably right...

MX793

A bad gas cap can set off CELs.  I've seen low coolant set off a CEL.  Engine knock can do it too.  If you're not already running premium, maybe try going to the next higher level of octane. 

There's been a stretch over the past two summers where mine would be on from Monday through Thursday, then turn off on Friday for several weeks.  No idea exactly what caused it.  Seemed to happen when it was hot and humid/rainy.  Tried different gas stations thinking it might be bad gas, but that made no difference.  Nearest I can figure is it was a knock sensor tripping a code.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

I don't understand why i-Drive isn't capable of displaying more detailed diagnostic information. It's just a few numbers for chrissakes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on February 21, 2010, 03:41:53 PM
I don't understand why i-Drive isn't capable of displaying more detailed diagnostic information. It's just a few numbers for chrissakes.

That would be so plebian.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: MX793 on February 21, 2010, 02:44:00 PM
A bad gas cap can set off CELs.  I've seen low coolant set off a CEL.  Engine knock can do it too.  If you're not already running premium, maybe try going to the next higher level of octane. 

There's been a stretch over the past two summers where mine would be on from Monday through Thursday, then turn off on Friday for several weeks.  No idea exactly what caused it.  Seemed to happen when it was hot and humid/rainy.  Tried different gas stations thinking it might be bad gas, but that made no difference.  Nearest I can figure is it was a knock sensor tripping a code.

Thanks.  I'm thinking it could be the gas cap, and that this comes into play when the tank is low.

I already use the highest octane available, so it can't be that.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on February 20, 2010, 03:33:39 PM
Yes, but only until March 3rd.  Yikes, I didn't realize how close that was.  Maybe I better take it in.

Reminds me when my mom took the Allroad in right before it hit 50,000 miles where the warranty would be voided to get something fixed and the car serviced. About 500 miles past 50k, the very same thing broke. She took it back and they wanted her to pay for the part and labor, but she held her ground and got it for free. Those tricky bastards!

dazzleman

After disappearing for a few weeks, the "Service Engine Soon" light has now come back on.  Previously, it only came on when the gas tank was nearly empty, and went off when I refueled the tank.  Now, it's on with a full tank.  :banghead:

The diagnostic system says everything is fine.  I guess I'm going to have to take the car in.  It's so fucking inconvenient.

AutobahnSHO

Will

saxonyron

Well Dave, strictly speaking in a legal sense, it's really only suggesting that you service the engine soon. I wouldn't worry about it till you hear some serious crunching sounds from the engine bay or you get stranded on the side of the Merrit Parkway.  That would be a better indicator of exactly how "soon" you need to get to service.  :devil:

But seriously, I guess one service light in 4 years isn't too bad.  Set up your appointment early enough and they'll get you a loaner for sure.  Unless they're far away, I look at a trip to the dealer as a chance to check out the new models, drool over an S5 and think irresponsible thoughts about my next possible purchase.  It's not so bad if you look at it from that perspective.  Who knows, you might come out of there rolling phat in a new 7er!   :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

r0tor

Is your "Service Engine Soon" Light (you need an oil change) the same or different then a Check Engine Light (your engine is h0sed)?  Maybe the numbnutzes never changed the counter last time they did you oil change?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed