Lexus CT 200h revealed

Started by nickdrinkwater, February 24, 2010, 08:07:12 AM

Colin

Spot on, Nick.

For this class of car, the company car market still rules pretty supreme in the UK, and as the BIK tax is now anything from negligible to punitive, then most people will either want, or if their employer has a so-called green policy, to choose a low CO2 emitting car.  Whether I will be allowed to, and able to afford another car like the S6 (assuming such cars are still available) when the lease ends on my current steed is far from clear. 

2o6

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/13/lexus-ct-200h-details-on-u-s-version-arrive/

"Total output has been pegged at 134 horsepower, with 98 hp coming from the 1.8-liter VVT-i four-cylinder gas engine and 80 hp provided by the electric motor. From a standstill, it will take 9.8 seconds to reach 60 miles per hour. Ease up on the gas a bit and the estimated EPA rating is 42 miles per gallon. A new suspension with aluminum gubbins and low-friction goodies designed specifically for this car features MacPherson struts up front with double wishbones in back, tuned for "spirited" handling. An aluminum hood and tailgate help lower the center of gravity and the curb weight. "

Why does the HS exist?

cawimmer430

134-horsepower? My BMW 118i makes more horsepower than that! 143-horsepower!  :tounge:

Ask Wimmer anything about the BMW 1-Series 5-Door Hatch with whom the CT200h competes with!  ;)
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

goldenlover1101

42 mpg doesn't seem that great for a hybrid  :huh:

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

2o6

Xer0

Still so very behind the Fusion Hybrid which is far larger and gets way more power.

2o6

Quote from: Xer0 on September 13, 2010, 08:41:15 PM
Still so very behind the Fusion Hybrid which is far larger and gets way more power.

It's not a luxury car, or purportedly as engaging to drive. The CT is nicer, drives better (hopefully) and is only a second slower to 60. (Yes, 9.8 seconds is too slow, but the Fusion is only 8.7)

Besides, I think this 42MPG number is the combined MPG. Fusion Combined is 39MPG.

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 08:47:29 PM

It's not a luxury car, or purportedly as engaging to drive. The CT is nicer, drives better (hopefully) and is only a second slower to 60. (Yes, 9.8 seconds is too slow, but the Fusion is only 8.7)

Besides, I think this 42MPG number is the combined MPG. Fusion Combined is 39MPG.

The CT is a little bit nicer on the inside, I doubt it drives better at all, doesn't look as good as the Fusion, will likely cost a lot more, is a lot smaller, a lot slower, and barely gets better mileage if at all.  This car will be CRZ level of fail I predict.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 08:35:52 PM
This makes more sense than the HS.

:confused:

HOW? This is like an HS hatchback. This makes less sense than Darth Vader pouring water from a Brita pitcher into a jug while standing in the ocean.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on September 13, 2010, 09:01:08 PM
:confused:

HOW? This is like an HS hatchback. This makes less sense than Darth Vader pouring water from a Brita pitcher into a jug while standing in the ocean.

Lexus says this is the lightest car they've ever produced. Lexus is putting extra effort to make this a sporty hybrid (except for the lack of power) in terms of handling and dynamics. Not only that, but it bests the mediocre HS's MPG's by a sizable margin, the HS only gets 35 combined.

2o6

I think it would make more sense with a traditional gas engine producing around 180HP, but the MPG benefits in a luxury car seem to be worth it.

2o6

I like the idea behind the car, and it seems to be much better executed than the HS. The CT will generally likely have more appeal in Europe, since in the UK it will emit under 100g of CO2, thus qualifing for free yearly registration......no other car in this price range can do that.

To me, someone with Morris Minor's criteria (or even Raza's) would find this attractive, a good handling, luxurious commuter car with great MPG's.

sportyaccordy

2o6

I don't understand what is wrong with saving gas on a nicer car.

omicron

It is obvious that I would have to kill myself if I lived in a Communist country where this Lorolla is the by-product of engine/consumption/size taxes. What a cynical, stupid car. No wonder the Russians drink.

Cookie Monster

Too bad, because this car looks really nice.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

omicron

Quote from: thecarnut on September 14, 2010, 10:15:11 AM
Too bad, because this car looks really nice.

Incorrect. This is nice:

cawimmer430

Quote from: 93JC on September 13, 2010, 08:34:12 PM
Why does THIS exist?

They want to make inroads in Europe among other markets and this car might be their chance. But as usual, Lexus seems to think one silly engine option will cut it.

I wonder if it will come with cheaper trim levels such as cloth seats, plastic hubcaps etc..

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2010, 08:42:16 AM
I don't understand what is wrong with saving gas on a nicer car.
If it's for an image thing, w/e.

But on a 40K+ car, gas is like less than 10% of the cost of ownership. Even if gas was free, it wouldn't make owning something like a new GS460 much cheaper. Not to mention, over the life of the car hybrids actually have about the same or a bigger carbon footprint, don't save any money, require more maintenance, etc....

Diesel + "smart start" or super mild hybrid tech (i.e. all electric accessories) seems like a smarter idea to me.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 14, 2010, 02:26:42 PM
If it's for an image thing, w/e.

But on a 40K+ car, gas is like less than 10% of the cost of ownership. Even if gas was free, it wouldn't make owning something like a new GS460 much cheaper. Not to mention, over the life of the car hybrids actually have about the same or a bigger carbon footprint, don't save any money, require more maintenance, etc....

Diesel + "smart start" or super mild hybrid tech (i.e. all electric accessories) seems like a smarter idea to me.

Mild Hybrid would be just as heavy but with no MPG benefit. Not only that, but the CT will start at around 27-28K.

In comparison to say a Camry V6 XLE at that price, yes you lose space, but you gain at least 20MPG, and get a much, much sharper drive, thus the Lexus CT making more sense.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 14, 2010, 08:40:59 AM
Yes it does. Can't drink salt water

Luxury hybrids :facepalm:

I don't think a Brita can remove salt from water.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on September 14, 2010, 10:19:05 AM
Incorrect. This is nice:

I saw the Sportcross version of that Toyota, excuse me, Lexus, today. It even had cloth seats! Damn!  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

omicron

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 15, 2010, 05:54:55 AM

I saw the Sportcross version of that Toyota, excuse me, Lexus, today. It even had cloth seats! Damn!  :thumbsup:

Definitely my favourite Lexus of all. As a sedan, thanks.

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 15, 2010, 05:54:55 AM

That thing was awesome. SO much better than the comparable Chrysler, pardon me, Mercedes, which was a flaming pile of dog turd.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 13, 2010, 09:12:25 PM
I like the idea behind the car, and it seems to be much better executed than the HS. The CT will generally likely have more appeal in Europe, since in the UK it will emit under 100g of CO2, thus qualifing for free yearly registration......no other car in this price range can do that.

To me, someone with Morris Minor's criteria (or even Raza's) would find this attractive, a good handling, luxurious commuter car with great MPG's.

I require a stick, decent 0-60, and a gasoline or diesel engine. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 14, 2010, 03:15:45 PM

Mild Hybrid would be just as heavy but with no MPG benefit. Not only that, but the CT will start at around 27-28K.

In comparison to say a Camry V6 XLE at that price, yes you lose space, but you gain at least 20MPG, and get a much, much sharper drive, thus the Lexus CT making more sense.

A Camry Hybrid is, from what I understand, cheaper, not much less fuel efficient, and knowing Toyota prob not much less fun to drive.

What Toyota really needs to do is stop dicking around, ditch the Camry Hybrid and make a Corolla/Matrix hybrid... which is, IIRC, what this car is, with a 5-8K markup. Actually, a top of the line Corolla is like 10K less than this car, and while prob not as well equipped is prob not far off, lighter, faster w/stickshift, etc. Hybrids are just fkcing pointless

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 16, 2010, 07:42:25 AM
A Camry Hybrid is, from what I understand, cheaper, not much less fuel efficient, and knowing Toyota prob not much less fun to drive.

What Toyota really needs to do is stop dicking around, ditch the Camry Hybrid and make a Corolla/Matrix hybrid... which is, IIRC, what this car is, with a 5-8K markup. Actually, a top of the line Corolla is like 10K less than this car, and while prob not as well equipped is prob not far off, lighter, faster w/stickshift, etc. Hybrids are just fkcing pointless

It also is not a luxury car, and is very cheap inside. The Corolla is tuned for comfort, so it really doesn't handle well either.

The Camry Hybrid starts at 26K, and only gets 35 combined, and is blasted universally for it's driving dynamics. Reviewers who have driven the CT have praised it's handling and dynamics.

Atomic

Quote from: Catman on February 24, 2010, 08:07:51 AM
Not bad but it is way too huge.

this seems like an advantage, greg. for a lexus, i would expect a roomy vehicle for the premium of toyota's upscale brand. it does look sharp!