Nissan March (Micra)

Started by 2o6, March 02, 2010, 06:04:47 AM

2o6

This will replace the Versa and slot alongside the more expensive Cube and Juke.

IIRC, this will be just as cheap.

I don't like it. The old model was kinda girly, but it was very chic and more expressive in style. This one is kinda boring and generic.

http://autoten.com/2010/03/02/nissan-launched-much-await-nissan-marchmicra/

cawimmer430

From an exterior point of view it looks much better than the current Micra, which is just awfully ugly.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

I like the current Micra, it still looks fresh despite being seven years old.

Jon?

Looks cool.  It's not a car I'd be interested in, but if I wanted a small car I'd cross-shop it.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

omicron

I'm with 2o6. The current model is better; this has the awful overinflated, puffy look of many new cars these days.

omicron

And, for the love of God! That stupid red circle in the middle of the HVAC controls looks like a gaping rosebud, and for the benefit of our pure, unspoiled members, I'm not talking about a quaint little clasped collection of rose petals.

ifcar

This looks like the 1st-gen Echo hatchback, except this one is a new design more than 10 years later.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on March 02, 2010, 07:06:20 AM
This looks like the 1st-gen Echo hatchback, except this one is a new design more than 10 years later.

Ha! It does! I was wondering why it looked so familiar.

The current model Micra/March is better looking.

Raza

Very cutesy, with a cheap, albeit funky looking interior.  It'll sell. 

Not to me though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Why would Nissan replace the Versa, a compact car, with the Micra, a sub-compact car? The Versa's main selling point is size/dollar.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on March 02, 2010, 11:31:56 AM
Why would Nissan replace the Versa, a compact car, with the Micra, a sub-compact car? The Versa's main selling point is size/dollar.

I don't think Nissan is making too much money on the Versa.

Those are rumors, only time will tell.

93JC

:huh:

Versa is the best-selling Nissan in Canada, for what it's worth.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on March 02, 2010, 11:49:39 AM

Yeah, but selling a big car for dirt cheap can't be too good for the bottom line.

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 02, 2010, 11:49:39 AM

Ya ta!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Quote from: omicron on March 02, 2010, 06:58:56 AM
I'm with 2o6. The current model is better; this has the awful overinflated, puffy look of many new cars these days.

And the old one does not?

Makes the new one look almost square in comparison.

Galaxy

Quote from: ifcar on March 02, 2010, 07:06:20 AM

Yeah, my first reaction was also that this look dated. The second photo is better, the top one is simply horrible.

the Teuton

I think the Versa will be a bigger, better car. The Versa is almost as useful as the Altima.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

nickdrinkwater

It kinda pains me to say it but this thing is bloody awful.  It looks old already.  The styling is generic at best, only it looks like they borrow design cues of a Corsa A.  It's larger, yet doesn't look big inside.  The dash looks cheap as fuck and the controls look like a pain in the arse to use compared to the current car which is functional yet surprisingly classy.  This thing will be built in India, not like the current Micra which is built in a factory known for excellent quality.

You've gotta be kidding me.  Is this a joke?

2o6

It looks like a rework or low-cost model for India or China.

Colin

Are you sure this will replace the Versa?

The Versa is sold as the Tiida in other markets (except the UK which is spared it altogether), and that car was a replacement for the unlamented Almera, so a class above the Micra. Given the increase in size of teh Sentra, I'd have thought that this is a car to go below the (presumably next gen?) Versa?

Although I will not miss the fake bakelite white plastic switches of the current model, it drives well enough, and has been deseveredly popular. Not sure what the USP of this model will be?

Rumour has it that the Clio4, based on the same platform will be built in India alongside this car.. you can imagine how well received that news has been in France?   

2o6

Quote from: Colin on March 02, 2010, 01:14:48 PM
Are you sure this will replace the Versa?

The Versa is sold as the Tiida in other markets (except the UK which is spared it altogether), and that car was a replacement for the unlamented Almera, so a class above the Micra. Given the increase in size of teh Sentra, I'd have thought that this is a car to go below the (presumably next gen?) Versa?

Although I will not miss the fake bakelite white plastic switches of the current model, it drives well enough, and has been deseveredly popular. Not sure what the USP of this model will be?

Rumour has it that the Clio4, based on the same platform will be built in India alongside this car.. you can imagine how well received that news has been in France?   

Well, at least in the US, the Versa is their base level car that's straddling the subcompact and compact class. We have the Sentra to fill the compact/C-segment area.

I don't know what Europe would get for the replacement, or if that's even true. (The Micra replacing the Versa)

Catman

Why the hell is it so big?

Jon?

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

WookieOnRitalin

If this is replacing the Versa, it is a shame. It is actually one of the better Nissans and has been relatively popular.

You get great space and efficiency in the Versa for a decent price. Why do away with it? I guess I do not like Nissan's marketing strategy here.

So we're going to dump one, pretty good seller with three funky, weird, budget vehicles? Why not just evolve the Versa than kill it with other vehicles? If cost was a big deal, why not make the Versa more cost efficient?

I guess I do not get how replacing one car with two is cheaper than just keeping the old car. :huh: I guess that's just me.

IMHO, the Juke and the Micra look completely stupid in comparison to the simpler Versa. It is as if Nissan wants their own Scion competitors.

Maybe dumping the Versa is an attempt to boost Sentra sales? What about a Sentra hatch? Oh wait, that would be stupid because Nissan will over 3 other hatch style vehicles in the Cube, Juke, and Micra.

RIP Nissan Versa. You did not need to be replaced, but Nissan felt that Americans needed stupid, ugly Japanese Pieces of Crap instead of practical, fuel/space efficient vehicles that are comfortable to drive.

Here's to you. :cheers:
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

2o6

Saying the Juke is a replacement is like saying the CR-V is a replacement for the Civic.

So to tell the truth, you only have one replacement and the styling "option"; Cube and Micra.

A Sentra hatch wouldn't be redundant, since the Micra is so tiny (~150") and the Cube obviously isn't for everyone. The Juke serves a different purpose entirely.

2o6

Some later reports say that this will slot under the Versa.

This is a little confusing. We have:

Styling option B-car : Cube

Tiny CUV: Juke

"Regular" subcompact(Compact!): Versa

"Value" subcompact: Micra/March

So this thing needs to start under $10000 to find sales from the more usable Versa.

MrH

Every car in this segment is hideous.  I'll just get a pre-owned car of usable size.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Pommes-T

It doesn't just look incredibly ugly, but also incredibly cheap
'00 BMW 523i

WookieOnRitalin

Source: http://www.lincah.com/2010-nissan-juke

Juke Dimensions:

Length: 162.8"
Width: 69.5"
Height: 61.8"
Wheelbase: 99.6"

Versa Hatch (Source: Yahoo! Autos):

Length: 169.1"
Width: 66.7"
Height: 60.4"
Wheelbase: 102.4"

How is the Juke like the CR-V replacing the Civic? I guess you're right 2 of the 6 in that the vehicle itself may have AWD and a CUV look. When I found the dimensions of the Juke, I was somewhat surprised as that it is only slightly taller and two inches wider then the Versa Hatch.

I think they may want the Versa to go upmarket a bit. It was their 2nd best selling model last month. Hardly a reason to dump it. My guess is that Nissan wants to refine the vehicle further perhaps to replace the Sentra entirely?

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo