Do cars really need to be good to sell?

Started by 280Z Turbo, March 02, 2010, 11:52:40 PM

Jon?

Quote from: Onslaught on March 03, 2010, 10:29:55 AM
Well people get into arguments about what's really an import or domestic these days. Not that I want to bring that into this.

Very true.  When I cross-shopped a 300C vs the CTS, I discovered the 300 was built in Canda whereas the CTS was made in Michigan.  But it's getting harder and harder to make a distinction.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

FoMoJo

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 02, 2010, 11:52:40 PM
Sometimes I wonder...

Most people don't know much about cars, if they even like them. Do people even understand what makes a Mazda 3 better than a Dodge Caliber?

We all know that the current Ford Focus is just an Americanized version of the outdated 2000 model. People still buy them because they have no idea. Is it even worth it to bring over the new one? If they just kept facelifting the C170 chassis, would the average Joe notice?
The answer is no and no.  The only question is what is most?  I'd say about 98-99%.  Even if people like cars they don't know much about them.  Even if people sell cars for a living they don't know much about them.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

Male or female. Buyers these days know shit about cars and are practically proud of their ignorance. 

280Z Turbo

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 03, 2010, 10:46:24 AM
The answer is no and no.  The only question is what is most?  I'd say about 98-99%.  Even if people like cars they don't know much about them.  Even if people sell cars for a living they don't know much about them.

Ha! The saleswoman who sold me the Focus didn't know anything.

I didn't buy a car from her, she was just there when I bought a car.

Submariner

A few months back, my girlfriend asked me if she had to switch her 9-3 to FWD...

Why she was angry over my incessant laughter still boggles my mind. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on March 03, 2010, 09:58:55 AM
People buy 'domestic' because they're less expensive,

yikes, guilty a charged :mask:

but in my own defense, it just didn't make sense to me to pay the same price for an E46 325i, Mercedes C230, Lexus IS300, or FWD A4 2.0T and end up with a smaller, less powerful car. There is a certain point where feature content does win me over instead of subjective qualities.

The only irrational decision I admit to was not considering a G35 because I didn't want to have the same car as my brother for the second time in 2 years.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 03, 2010, 10:13:30 AM
There's still a lot of people in the U.S. who buy "domestic" because of patriotism.

I honestly didn't think there was until I started browsing the Cadillac forums. God, some of those people almost made me wish I had gone for the Benz instead :devil:

NomisR

Usually, when non-car people asks me for opinions of cars, they usually end up choosing something else other than what I suggested even though what I suggested was the better car and better fit for them than their choice.  It's really annoying especially when they start complaining about the car that they chose, I really want to say, I told you so. 

For my gf's cars, it was really just her narrowing them down to a few choices they want and I made the decision so it was a bit easier. 

Byteme

Quote from: 93JC on March 03, 2010, 10:23:35 AM
2010, brand spankin' new.

How do you like it so far?  Just curious since we own a 06 model.

NomisR

Quote from: EtypeJohn on March 03, 2010, 12:07:34 PM
How do you like it so far?  Just curious since we own a 06 model.

The car's really happy!

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on March 03, 2010, 11:51:18 AM
Usually, when non-car people asks me for opinions of cars, they usually end up choosing something else other than what I suggested even though what I suggested was the better car and better fit for them than their choice.  It's really annoying especially when they start complaining about the car that they chose, I really want to say, I told you so. 

For my gf's cars, it was really just her narrowing them down to a few choices they want and I made the decision so it was a bit easier. 
I try an stay out of it. People ask me all the time but if I tell them something and they turn out not liking it then I hear about it later.

SVT666

Non car people rarely listen to the answer when they ask a question.  The biggest problem is that they want the car that they think looks the best.  That's fine except that it's not always a good car.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on March 03, 2010, 03:02:19 PM
Non car people rarely listen to the answer when they ask a question.  The biggest problem is that they want the car that they think looks the best.  That's fine except that it's not always a good car.

People only ever ask for advice when they already know what the answer to the question is. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on March 03, 2010, 03:02:19 PM
Non car people rarely listen to the answer when they ask a question.  The biggest problem is that they want the car that they think looks the best.  That's fine except that it's not always a good car.

Then why do people buy Toyotas over Mazdas (pre smiley face)?  They look worse and are worse cars (from enthusiast point of view) yet sells a lot more. 

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on March 03, 2010, 03:41:01 PM
Then why do people buy Toyotas over Mazdas (pre smiley face)?  They look worse and are worse cars (from enthusiast point of view) yet sells a lot more. 
Well I love me some Mazda's but their customer service sucks ass and is normally at the bottom of the pack. Their dealers are a joke.

Northlands

Quote from: NomisR on March 03, 2010, 11:51:18 AM

Man, I have no idea why people ever really ask. They've usually made up their minds anyway. I'll do the same as you did. Ask them what they want the car to do for them in many aspects. Then they go and choose something based on " but this color red looks nicer than the red on the other car. "

Now my advice is: Whatever makes you happy. And I walk off.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21457.msg1282227#msg1282227 date=1267655057
People only ever ask for advice when they already know what the answer to the question is. 
:hesaid: x 500000

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Rupert

I always tell people that there is no such thing as a really bad car anymore, and anything they like is good for them, but they should drive a few before they decide. Then they ask about a bunch of boring cars I don't know anything about, and I repeat what I have already said. I leave the enthusiast stuff out of it.

If they have a bunch of requirements, I give them a list of cars to look at. It's all personal preference, really.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Rupert on March 03, 2010, 07:33:28 PM
I always tell people that there is no such thing as a really bad car anymore, and anything they like is good for them, but they should drive a few before they decide. Then they ask about a bunch of boring cars I don't know anything about, and I repeat what I have already said. I leave the enthusiast stuff out of it.

If they have a bunch of requirements, I give them a list of cars to look at. It's all personal preference, really.

I'd point them towards the most fuel efficient vehicle that meets their needs.

I don't want someone who is indifferent about cars to waste gas on a boring POS 15 mpg Dodge Nitro. Let me use it in my turbocharged Z! I'll actually enjoy it! :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: NomisR on March 03, 2010, 03:41:01 PM
Toyota is a different animal entirely.  Toyotas sell because they are Toyotas.

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on March 03, 2010, 09:58:55 AM
Most cars seem to be sold like that. I was tempted to join a Mazda 3 forum when I bought my car, but after perusing a half-dozen of them they all seem to be filled with a variety of idiots. Most of them are the boy-racer types who blabber endlessly about getting a body kit, replacing the exhaust, etc., and the rest seem to be the sensible Ma 'n' Pa fogey types who bought the 3 because it's practical and has "Japanese quality and reliability", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

The only reason anyone buys a Hyundai is the warranty and promise of decent fuel economy and reliability. Same with Toyota and Honda, minus the warranty. People buy 'domestic' because they're less expensive, people buy 'European' ('German') because they're in vogue, etc.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only rational, sane person left on the planet.

Told you to get the damn Mustang. Now you are doomed to be a part of the idiots you so vividly describe.  :rage:
Cuore Sportivo

93JC

Mustang owners aren't any better. They're either airhead women who bought one because they look interesting to them in some way, the same kind of boy-racer types who want to modify it, old farts who bought one as a toy, or hillbilly yokels who bought one because it "SUPPORTS AMERICA!"

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on March 03, 2010, 08:11:30 PM
Toyota is a different animal entirely.  Toyotas sell because they are Toyotas.

Exactly.  Most cars are sold based on perception as opposed to reality, which may be different. 

r0tor

Bland, cheap, cheap, and cheaper really sells for most of the general population.

I overheard my coworker buying tires for his Mazda 3 yesterday.  He bought some shitty off name brand for it because they were cheap and had a "100,000 mile wear rating".  I sat there thinking to myself I wouldn't buy a pair of tires if they has something over a "30,000" mile wear rating.... different strokes for different folks
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on March 04, 2010, 07:41:55 AM
Bland, cheap, cheap, and cheaper really sells for most of the general population.

I overheard my coworker buying tires for his Mazda 3 yesterday.  He bought some shitty off name brand for it because they were cheap and had a "100,000 mile wear rating".  I sat there thinking to myself I wouldn't buy a pair of tires if they has something over a "30,000" mile wear rating.... different strokes for different folks
Yep, I know people who do the same. Girlfriend did that one time and the car rode like shit with horrible road noise. I told her why it did that and if she just spent a little more then she'd be better off. Next time she took my advise.

SVT666

Cheaping out on tires is the one thing I have never understood.  They are the only thing keeping you on the road.  People underestimate the importance of tires.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on March 04, 2010, 06:12:02 AM
Mustang owners aren't any better. They're either airhead women who bought one because they look interesting to them in some way, the same kind of boy-racer types who want to modify it, old farts who bought one as a toy, and hillbilly yokels who bought one because it "SUPPORTS AMERICA!"
Just because you want to modify your car doesn't make you boy-racer.  If all you're doing is throwing a park bench on the trunk and a fart can on the end of your exhaust, then I can agree with you, but there are so many people (especially in the Mustang world) who modify the engines, suspension, chassis, etc.  That goes on in the sport compact market too, but not to the degree of the Mustang and Camaro world.

Byteme

Quote from: SVT666 on March 04, 2010, 09:44:29 AM
Cheaping out on tires is the one thing I have never understood.  They are the only thing keeping you on the road.  People underestimate the importance of tires.

True, but at the same time a set of super gummy, low profile, $1000 a set tires are pretty much wasted on the average Corolla  

SVT666

Quote from: EtypeJohn on March 04, 2010, 09:48:01 AM
True, but at the same time a set of super gummy, low profile, $1000 a set tires are pretty much wasted on the average Corolla  
No, a but a good set of touring tires would be perfectly suited for it.  Why would you buy a set of tires for $200 from Wal-Mart when they will be shit in all conditions?

NomisR

Quote from: SVT666 on March 04, 2010, 09:56:35 AM
No, a but a good set of touring tires would be perfectly suited for it.  Why would you buy a set of tires for $200 from Wal-Mart when they will be shit in all conditions?

Or those that are advertised at 4 for $100.  And then you have those people that spend additional money on the same tires as OEM which a lot of times, are a waste of money and no better than other options available out there.  This is true of the 4 of 5 cars I've owned so far.  The OEM tires are more expensive and crap compared to what I've replaced them with.