Ownership report: 2005 Honda Accord.

Started by GoCougs, March 07, 2010, 10:43:02 PM

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 27, 2010, 07:21:11 AM
Most would.

Therein lies the problem. 

I wouldn't.  I like the Buick badge.  I have good memories tied to Buick.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Buick isn't a brand most younger people ever even consider. As much as they don't want to admit, one of the facets of car-buying is "what will my friends say/think?"
-They assume the friend will say, "Why did you get a Buick, grandpa????"
Will

GoCougs

Perhaps old news - but I'm SAVED!

Acura has Announced the Euro Accord Wagon will come to the US as the 2011 TSX Sport Wagon.

Have seen these a lot in Japan and just couldn't contemplate how the horrific-looking Crosstour made the cut for the USDM and not this. Probably won't be AWD and the V6 probably not available with M/T, but this looks to be it boys.

A bit of snooping is showing that only the 4 cyl /AT will be available. If so that's probably a deal breaker - it'll have to be either 4 cyl/6sp MT or V6/AT.

2o6

I'm not wowed. I think the new Accord/TSX is too fussy.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on April 04, 2010, 09:35:57 PM
Perhaps old news - but I'm SAVED!

Acura has Announced the Euro Accord Wagon will come to the US as the 2011 TSX Sport Wagon.

Have seen these a lot in Japan and just couldn't contemplate how the horrific-looking Crosstour made the cut for the USDM and not this. Probably won't be AWD and the V6 probably not available with M/T, but this looks to be it boys.

You know, I really like the car itself. Thing is, I really wish it had the RDX's motor and a stick.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 04, 2010, 09:42:01 PM
You know, I really like the car itself. Thing is, I really wish it had the RDX's motor and a stick.

Have you considered applying for the CEO spot at American Honda?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:46:16 PM
Have you considered applying for the CEO spot at American Honda?

And about three people would buy this car.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2010, 09:46:56 PM

Turbo. 6-speed. Perhaps SH-AWD.

There's so much potential win there.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 09:49:14 PM
Turbo. 6-speed. Perhaps SH-AWD.

There's so much potential win there.

Once again: Three people.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2010, 09:51:13 PM

Dunno about that - the previous generation Subaru turbo Outback XT/Legacy GT wagon w/5sp M/T wasn't uncommon...

Xer0

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2010, 09:51:13 PM

A theoretical TSX type S with a turbo and AWD would probably find a lot of happy customers, assuming they aren't stupid with the pricing like they are for the V6.  

3.0L V6

*sigh* Why'd they have to ugly it up with an Acura front visage? Why?

It looked so pretty as just a Euro/JDM Honda.

Minpin

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2010, 09:37:51 PM
I'm not wowed. I think the new Accord/TSX is too fussy.

tHE FUCK DO YOU MEAN FUSSY? HAVE YOU DRIUVEN ONE?
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on April 04, 2010, 09:58:26 PM
Dunno about that - the previous generation Subaru turbo Outback XT/Legacy GT wagon w/5sp M/T wasn't uncommon...

What he said.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on April 04, 2010, 09:46:56 PM

Which makes it too expensive for me to buy later used....
Will

SVT666

Subaru and Honda/Acura attract different buyers.  I can't believe I agree with 2o6, but I do.

GoCougs

If it was a Honda (it actually is, at least in Europe and Japan), IMO there would by a fair number of buyers of the turbo 4/6sp M/T/awd option if it existed. But I agree that Acura doesn't cater to the M/T crowd all that much. It's still a fantastic looking wagon - by far the best on the market IMO.

GoCougs

As to my current car, my only complaint is that gas mileage has dropped off precipitously. The first couple of years of ownership I averaged 27mpg, and would get 31-33 mpg on the freeway. My average has now dropped down to 24 and after a freeway trip yesterday managed only 25 mpg. Albeit the OEM Michelin tires were hard as rocks, but tires don't make that big of a difference...

I've always suspected the local gas station has been using overly ethanol-rich gas (I think the owner is a snake in the grass). No way to prove it of course other than to use other gas stations for a time to see if my theory works out.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 11, 2010, 11:01:41 AM
As to my current car, my only complaint is that gas mileage has dropped off precipitously. The first couple of years of ownership I averaged 27mpg, and would get 31-33 mpg on the freeway. My average has now dropped down to 24 and after a freeway trip yesterday managed only 25 mpg. Albeit the OEM Michelin tires were hard as rocks, but tires don't make that big of a difference...
Yes they do.  Bump the PSI up just 2 PSI and your fuel mileage will increase quite noticeably, just as dropping your tire pressure by 2 PSI will definitely make it worse.  Harder or softer tires will make a difference too.  As will tire width.

QuoteI've always suspected the local gas station has been using overly ethanol-rich gas (I think the owner is a snake in the grass). No way to prove it of course other than to use other gas stations for a time to see if my theory works out.
It could definitely be a combination of both.  Softer tires and ethanol rich fuel.  There's a chain up here that advertise their gasoline has 10% ethanol and people use it because of that.  Every time I have someone tell me that I should go to Mohawk because they have 10% ethanol in their gas I have to explain to them what it does to their mileage and why.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 11, 2010, 10:57:46 AM
If it was a Honda (it actually is, at least in Europe and Japan), IMO there would by a fair number of buyers of the turbo 4/6sp M/T/awd option if it existed. But I agree that Acura doesn't cater to the M/T crowd all that much. It's still a fantastic looking wagon - by far the best on the market IMO.
Acura's front end styling immediately eliminates it from that title for me, no matter how good the rest of the car looks.  The BMW wagons are the best looking in my opinion.

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on April 11, 2010, 11:24:25 AM
Acura's front end styling immediately eliminates it from that title for me, no matter how good the rest of the car looks.  The BMW wagons are the best looking in my opinion.

Yeah, for me it's a tie between Audi and BMW.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 04, 2010, 09:35:57 PM

A bit of snooping is showing that only the 4 cyl /AT will be available. If so that's probably a deal breaker - it'll have to be either 4 cyl/6sp MT or V6/AT.

In the euro market Honda does offer a 201hp (DIN) accord wagon with a 6 speed manual. Probably not worth it to certify it in the states though.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on April 11, 2010, 11:22:49 AM
There's a chain up here that advertise their gasoline has 10% ethanol and people use it because of that.  Every time I have someone tell me that I should go to Mohawk because they have 10% ethanol in their gas I have to explain to them what it does to their mileage and why.

I wish E10 was limited to a certain chain.  That's all you can anywhere in this area.  Between that and the ethanol-rich winter blend that places have been running, my mileage took a huge nosedive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

I'm sure that overwhelming popularity is why they stopped selling that combination...  MT Legacies/Outbacks are a very rare find around here.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Well, just filled up and the numbers are in from my trip from ~250 mile freeway trip from yesterday - 22.5 mpg. 8-10 mpg ain't tires and since I've never had a check engine light  that would foretell of some overly rich A/F mixture problem, I have no choice but to blame overly ethanol-rich fuel.

GoCougs

Again, anything German would be an extremely hard pill to swallow - from the depreciation, to maintenance, to iDrive/COMAND, to mediocre AWD systems (BMW) to general reliability issues to getting to 100k, to general price premium, it's just not likely to happen.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: GoCougs on April 11, 2010, 02:33:44 PM
Again, anything German would be an extremely hard pill to swallow - from the depreciation, to maintenance, to iDrive/COMAND, to mediocre AWD systems (BMW) to general reliability issues to getting to 100k, to general price premium, it's just not likely to happen.

Except for the price premium, you could buy an Audi and avoid those pitfalls.

giant_mtb

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on April 11, 2010, 02:37:02 PM
Except for the price premium, you could buy an Audi and avoid those pitfalls.

+1