Next Generation Police Interceptor

Started by Catman, March 11, 2010, 05:12:45 AM

rohan

Quote from: Catman on March 13, 2010, 01:47:43 PM
If I had to guess I think the standard FWD with the 3.5 will be priced at or below the current CVPI.  The AWD drive option might be $1500-2000 more and the Ecoboost another $1500-2000 over that.  That's just a guess though.  One thing to consider is that some of that can be offset by fuel savings but intitial costs will be more due to the need to purchase new cages and other stuff.  I also wonder if there is a financial benefit to Ford dropping the inefficient CVPI due to poor fuel efficiency.
Charger has had their AWD police option for a couple years in both engines (I think).  AWD version has MUCH heavier steering and doesn't have the same steering response- it's also slower around the MSP track by a little.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Catman

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 09:57:53 AM
Interesting.  we just cancelled an order for 6 more Imps for 8 new chargers.  Imps we have are not holding together and have about 32% down/repair time (including gen. maint.) while both the CVPI's and Chargers are about 8% down/repair time.  Imps just aren't holding up and doing the math we discovered we could buy 2 extra cars for a 2 year period on the repair bills alone- so- we did.  we aren't even going to consider the new GM cars until MSP has a go at them in Lansing.

(I have my theories about the down times on the Imps tho based on how ppl here feel about them)

The biggest gripe we have with the Charger is no one can see out of it.  No one wants to drive it.

Catman

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 10:00:57 AM
Charger has had their AWD police option for a couple years in both engines (I think).  AWD version has MUCH heavier steering and doesn't have the same steering response- it's also slower around the MSP track by a little.

I believe that was a Magnum option?  There's nothing about AWD on the Dodge police site.  There shouldn't be heavier steering.  Anyway, a RWD is going to be faster around a track, but if you throw in acceleration and road holding in less than desirable conditions the AWD is going to bite better and be a lot more forgiving.

the Teuton

As with the SHO, the EcoBoost engine will only come with AWD.

Also, instead of just bull bars, there's a police department that puts full cages on the front of all of its cars. Why?

It's the same township that a lot of the Steelers live in so they have money there, but what's the point? The picture was taken during the cop shooting funeral services from last year, so those cop cars behind it are from all over the nation.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: Catman on March 14, 2010, 11:01:06 AM
The biggest gripe we have with the Charger is no one can see out of it.  No one wants to drive it.

I'll drive it.  Where do I sign up for my gun?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

rohan

What do yous have a bunch of midgets working for you?  I'm 5'10 and I've got zero problems seeing out of it.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 14, 2010, 11:09:08 AM
Also, instead of just bull bars, there's a police department that puts full cages on the front of all of its cars. Why?

Because of crap like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V28iPsFgmUA

and this
the state car in this video has a Go-Rhino full push bar on the front- which made it almost indestructable to ramming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzP2dyVwOwI

~Chief Seattle

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

~Chief Seattle

the Teuton

rohan

they're called push bars- and this is what we're using here-

http://www.swps.com/go-rhino-5038w.html

It's up to the individual administatrator what's on the cars.  Some think the pushbars look too aggressive and others like that look.  I like them becaue they take a tremendous amount of abuse with almost no damage to the patrol cars.  We put those and Go-Rhino skid plates on all our patrol vehicles and we rarely take front end damage.  My guess about those white ones is they're special made maybe.  I've never seen them before.  And they honestly don't look as substantial as the Go-Rhino we use or Setina you posted.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

by the way- the one to the left of that white one is what 99% of our state police cars have and what we had in Detroit- they're cheap and flimsy and don't protect  the car at all they just look cool.  Also made by Setina they're like $99 and you have to drill some holes into the bumpers while ours are all mounted inside the bumpers.

~Chief Seattle

the Teuton

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 12:34:25 PM

http://www.swps.com/go-rhino-5038w.html

It's up to the individual administatrator what's on the cars.  Some think the pushbars look too aggressive and others like that look.  I like them becaue they take a tremendous amount of abuse with almost no damage to the patrol cars.  We put those and Go-Rhino skid plates on all our patrol vehicles and we rarely take front end damage.  My guess about those white ones is they're special made maybe.  I've never seen them before.  And they honestly don't look as substantial as the Go-Rhino we use or Setina you posted.

Like I said, McCandless has a lot of money to play with.

Catman

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 12:07:35 PM
What do yous have a bunch of midgets working for you?  I'm 5'10 and I've got zero problems seeing out of it.

I am the same height as you and I don't like it either.  Yeah, you get used to it but the high sills and trunk do not lend themselves to good visibility.  I think if I had the choice between the Charger and CVPI I would probably take the Charger though.  It's more modern car and drives pretty well.

the Teuton

I've driven a Charger SXT and a Mercury Grand Marquis for reference, but I don't think I could spend several hours in the Dodge. Those front seats are hard and unsupportive, if ever there were any.

rohan

Have you seen the Taurus in person?  It's got at least as high sills on it and the trunk has the elevated thing going on that all the newer cars have - I don't know if it'll be any better to be honest.  We're very interested in the Caprice but it'll have to measure up to the charger before we'll even look at them.  And we've stopped buying current fords completely now.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 14, 2010, 12:52:25 PM
I've driven a Charger SXT and a Mercury Grand Marquis for reference, but I don't think I could spend several hours in the Dodge. Those front seats are hard and unsupportive, if ever there were any.
The seats in the Fords are too soft last about a year and then break down so much they're very uncomfortable and hurt the guy's backs.  The dodge seats are stiff but really aren't that bad and they're actually pretty comfy to sit in a long time and they don't seem to break down.  the chevy seats are somewhere in between.  But that's my opinion.  And it's not like you sit in that seat for hours at a time- at least youre not supposed to anyway.  You're in and out of the car for most of your shift.

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Catman on March 14, 2010, 11:07:12 AM
I believe that was a Magnum option?  There's nothing about AWD on the Dodge police site.  There shouldn't be heavier steering.  Anyway, a RWD is going to be faster around a track, but if you throw in acceleration and road holding in less than desirable conditions the AWD is going to bite better and be a lot more forgiving.
Could be on the option.  I just remember driving a mule we had here and the steering was very very heavy in comparison- wasn't the only one either.  But the other stuff you wrote is certainly true I suppose.

~Chief Seattle

Catman

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 12:53:53 PM
Have you seen the Taurus in person?  It's got at least as high sills on it and the trunk has the elevated thing going on that all the newer cars have - I don't know if it'll be any better to be honest.  We're very interested in the Caprice but it'll have to measure up to the charger before we'll even look at them.  And we've stopped buying current fords completely now.

I suspect it will be a little better than the Charger but not that much better.  I just saw one yesterday though and it is a big car!

Catman

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 12:55:55 PM
The seats in the Fords are too soft last about a year and then break down so much they're very uncomfortable and hurt the guy's backs.  The dodge seats are stiff but really aren't that bad and they're actually pretty comfy to sit in a long time and they don't seem to break down.  the chevy seats are somewhere in between.  But that's my opinion.  And it's not like you sit in that seat for hours at a time- at least youre not supposed to anyway.  You're in and out of the car for most of your shift.

I prefer the firmer seats in the Dodge as will.  The Fords are too soft and break down quickly.  The Caprice looks awesome we will have to see.

Catman

It looks like the Chevrolet is going to be a very nice choice.  I'd be curious as to how it will hold up.  Looking at the windows it looks like visibility may be better than the Ford or the Dodge.

the Teuton

I can't say anything for certain because I don't know for certain, but the Chevy was designed to cope with rough Aussie roads and drop bears. It ought to be nice.

Go to your Pontiac/GMC/Hummer dealer and test drive a used G8. That's basically what you'll be getting.

2o6

I don't understand. I think a facelift for the car to fit more in line with GM's current models would make the PI variant more viable. A LWB Stateseman/Caprice/Lumina IMO makes more sense than the SWB midsize-ish G8.

the Teuton

I still think they should sell it here as the Buick Park Avenue or Senator, but then again, it would be pretty redundant and possibly cannibalize both the Cadillac CTS and XTS.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 14, 2010, 05:50:22 PM
I still think they should sell it here as the Buick Park Avenue or Senator, but then again, it would be pretty redundant and possibly cannibalize both the Cadillac CTS and XTS.

It's too drab to be either a Buick or Cadillac.

As a Chevy Impala, it'd be great.

Catman

Quote from: 2o6 on March 14, 2010, 05:48:08 PM
I don't understand. I think a facelift for the car to fit more in line with GM's current models would make the PI variant more viable. A LWB Stateseman/Caprice/Lumina IMO makes more sense than the SWB midsize-ish G8.

The Capric PPV is the long wheelbase.

Submariner

Well, the Taurus isn't going to be warmly received.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Catman

The only issue I see with the Caprice is they are not moving the shifter the column. 

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on March 14, 2010, 12:34:25 PM
Outside of the police world they're called bull bars. Just my 2 cents. :ohyeah:

93JC

As far as Mr. Cron is concerned they're roo bars.