Small premium cars?

Started by sportyaccordy, March 15, 2010, 06:00:17 AM

sportyaccordy

I edited that. It was an empty threat. Still though, I'm tired of Coug's baseless opinions. "German cars suck. An Accord is the only car anyone will ever need. The govt should mandate that. The govt needs to stay out of people's business." It's gotta be for the lols. Nobody can simultaneously be so coherent and so obtuse.

GoCougs

Do you guys really not understand the straw man concept???

Where's Tave? He's usually the one to straighten you guys out. I'm just old old and have done it far too many times.

Jon?

Quote from: GoCougs on March 17, 2010, 08:38:35 PM
Do you guys really not understand the straw man concept???

Where's Tave? He's usually the one to straighten you guys out. I'm just old old and have done it far too many times.

Go back to being DLP.  You were more entertaining.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

GoCougs

Quote from: Jon? on March 17, 2010, 08:52:12 PM
Go back to being DLP.  You were more entertaining.

Are you angry your fancy car would also get walked by a 7th gen Accord V6?

Anywho, 'DLP' was too easy.

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on March 17, 2010, 09:59:51 PM

I'm pretty sure it's at least as fast...http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0308_2004_cadillac_cts/index.html

6.4 to 60
1/4 mile in 14.9

Jon?

Naw.  I sold an Accord to buy the fancy car.  It's plenty fast for me and infinitely more comfortable. 

I like Hondas.  I've owned five of them (not at the same time). 

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

CJ

I wouldn't be.  There are many things that are faster than my Volvo (Well, pretty much everything...except a 240), a 7th generation Accord being one of them.  Our V6 Accord is rape-sauce compared to my 940.  It's faster, but that's really about it.  Looks are subjective.  My 940 now handles better than the Accord and rides better too.  The Accord is a little quieter, but I mainly have engine noise.  That'll change once my friend does a +T on it.  +T means turbo.  All I need to get is the IC and piping.  My friend's got everything else.  My car is VASTLY more comfortable.  It has heated mirrors and seats, as well as a sunroof.  The Accord has none of that.  The Accord has more interior room, but my car has a much bigger (AND USABLE!) trunk. 

sportyaccordy

You're crippled by your pragmatism. You hate German car drivers because they have the guts to make non practical factors a priority.

I'm pretty sure a base Boxster would get walked by your car on a drag strip. It also doesn't have the same passenger or cargo capacity. Would you call it a worse car than a 'i hate driving a little less than a Camry' Accord V6.

Morris Minor

I think it's really difficult, on many levels, to create a small luxury car.

Luxury dictates that you have very low levels of NVH, ample space, ample power, and high levels of automation & amenities. These are difficult to achieve PROFITABLY in small cars. Tarting up a volume-produced small car ain't going to do it - you are into silk purse / sow's ear territory, & (Cadillac Cimmarron) you run the risk of cheapening the whole brand. So this means you'd have to engineer it from the ground up, & the margins you'd make would be negligible.

The six cylinder BMW 1 series is the closest I can think of to a small premium car (my mother-in-law has one), but I think most people in the showrooms give them no more than a passing glance on the way to the 3 series; they don't like the compromises that small cars entail.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Ahem what about the luxury "roadsters"?
Will