UPDATED. Mom needs a new car/crossover/SUV.

Started by BimmerM3, March 15, 2010, 03:01:31 PM

WookieOnRitalin

Here is a quick list of Zero to 60 times/1/4 Mile:

Mazda CX-7: 7.7 seconds/15.8 sec (2008 Turbo AWD)
Toyota RAV4: 8.6 seconds/16.7 sec (4 Cyl 4x4) 6.2 sec/14.7 sec (V6)
Honda CR-V: 9.0 sec/16.9 sec (4 Cyl AWD)
Ford Escape: 8.9 secs/16.7 sec (4 Cyl AWD)
Ford Edge: 7.5 sec/15.8 sec (V6 AWD)
Hyundai Sante Fe: 8.3 sec/16.3 sec (2008 AWD V6)
Subaru Outback: 9.4 sec (2010 AWD)
Subaru Forester: 8.8 secs (2.5I AWD)
Kia Sorento: 7.4 sec/15.4 sec (V6 FWD) 9.6 secs (I4 FWD)
VW Tiguan: 8.4 sec (Turbo AWD)

It looks like, no matter what you get, it will not be as fast.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

BimmerM3

Talked to my mom a few days ago. She was more open minded than I thought she would be. My step-dad wants her to get something smaller and sportier. At the very least, The problem is that there aren't many smaller, sportier cars in her price range (~$26,000 with some flexibility) that still have four seats.

I mentioned the Mustang to her, and she seemed reluctant to get a car as opposed to an SUV just because she's basically been driving either a minivan or an SUV for the past 20 years and doesn't really feel comfortable being so low, but I managed to convince her to go to a dealership and ride along while I test-drove a Mustang (she's still a bit nervous about driving after the accident). Basically, she found it to be too cramped and the back seat was too small.

Since we were already out and a bunch of dealerships are in the same area, we drove by Honda, Hyundai, and Kia dealerships. At the Honda dealership, we sat in a Crosstour, Civic sedan, CR-V and Accord sedan. Even in the Civic, she was much more comfortable in the Hondas than she was in the Mustang, but she really liked the CR-V. I'm not sure about the exact dimensions, but it seemed pretty similarly sized to the Jeep with a bit more rear leg room and a bit less cargo room (which is fine). The cargo floor for the CR-V was also lower than the Jeeps, which is probably a good thing for her.

Hyundai and Kia were right next to each other. We just briefly looked at a Santa Fe, which wasn't bad, and then took a pretty good look at the Sorento. It seemed to me like there wasn't really any reason to get a Santa Fe over a Sorento, although the Santa Fe does seem to be a bit cheaper (although with the packages to get a sunroof, and current Kia incentives, I think that almost evens out).

The big advantage that the Santa Fe and Sorento have over the Honda is the optional V6. We didn't actually drive any of the SUVs so we didn't get a gauge for whether or not the I4s would be powerful enough for my mom. I think her and my step-dad are going to go together this weekend to look at cars and probably make a decision.

I do want to make her a lists of cars to look at in each of the possible categories that she's willing to look at, and then she can go from there.

Requirements for any car
~$26,000 with a bit of wiggle room (not exactly sure how much, but my step-dad is a decent haggler)
Sunroof
Four-seats
Leather (preferred but not required)
Heated seats (preferred but not required)

SUVs/Crossovers
Honda CR-V
Kia Sorento
Mazda CX-7
Subaru Forrester
Hyundai Santa Fe
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Highlander

Sporty
Mustang
Camaro
Certified Pre-Owned BMW 328i sedan

Small sedan
Honda Civic
Mazda3
VW Jetta (sedan or wagon. Note that the wagon has an upgraded interior)

Mid-sized sedan
Honda Accord
Mazda6
Ford Fusion
Nissan Altima
Subaru Legacy (sedan) / Subaru Outback (wagon, but it's higher up than the Legacy is)

This just a quick list that I've typed up between classes. Let me know what you guys think and what I'm missing.

AutobahnSHO

mid sized sedan= SUBIE Legacy
SUV= SUBIE Forester
Will

ifcar

How many of these cars does she actually plan to drive?

Note with the Jetta that the wagon has the Golf's updated and much-improved interior.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 18, 2010, 02:17:47 PM
SUV= SUBIE Forester

How about combining the two and an Outback 2.5i Limited?

Also, why not at the Kizashi to the list? Iffy just reviewed it and gave it a thumbs up. It's a blend between compact and midsize, four doors, sporty, high quality interior, huge standard feature list, optional AWD AND a great warranty.

Here would be my short list based on what you're saying.

SUV/Crossover:
Outback
CR-V
Sorento
CX-7

Sedan:
Accord
Kizashi
Mazda3
Jetta

Four in each category. All of the crossovers have a four cylinder and optional V6 or Turbo save the CR-V. The Accord is the only Sedan that has a V6 option, but the Jetta has a turbo option and the four cylinders in the Kizashi and 3 are peppy as is.

It would seem to me does she need the utility or not? If she does not, go with a Sedan. Better mileage. Better handling. Better driveability.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 18, 2010, 02:17:47 PM
SUV= SUBIE Forester

For some reason, she doesn't like Subarus, but I'll add them to the list.

Quote from: ifcar on March 18, 2010, 02:21:32 PM
How many of these cars does she actually plan to drive?

Note with the Jetta that the wagon has the Golf's updated and much-improved interior.

I'm not sure how many she's planning on driving. I'm not even really sure if she's seriously considering non-SUV/Crossovers, but it can't hurt to give her a list.

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 18, 2010, 02:29:42 PM
For some reason, she doesn't like Subarus, but I'll add them to the list.

I'm not sure how many she's planning on driving. I'm not even really sure if she's seriously considering non-SUV/Crossovers, but it can't hurt to give her a list.

It may be best to give a short list -- "these are the top five cars you should really look at" -- especially after you see what she likes and dislikes about the first thing she drives.

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on March 18, 2010, 02:31:33 PM
It may be best to give a short list -- "these are the top five cars you should really look at" -- especially after you see what she likes and dislikes about the first thing she drives.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town when they go shopping this weekend. When I was out with her the other day, I was trying to get her to narrow it down to a particular segment of vehicles, but she wouldn't really. I think she really wants an SUV, but my step-dad feels otherwise.

I think right now, the best I can do is to give them an idea of what to look at, let them loose, and hope for the best.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on March 18, 2010, 02:31:33 PM

Ya. I agree on the short list. See my previous post, I gave a pretty good short list there I think.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 18, 2010, 02:35:57 PM
Yeah. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town when they go shopping this weekend. When I was out with her the other day, I was trying to get her to narrow it down to a particular segment of vehicles, but she wouldn't really. I think she really wants an SUV, but my step-dad feels otherwise.

I think right now, the best I can do is to give them an idea of what to look at, let them loose, and hope for the best.

I'd mention some things they'll want to look at in their research that they might overlook; if you know anything she especially likes about her Grand Cherokee that she might not think to check out in another car -- like, for example, some storage compartments, or how the seats fold, etc. -- you'd be in the best position to mention those to her.

Also recommend that she read some reviews of the cars she drives before she goes out there to see some potential pros and cons to be on the lookout for.

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 18, 2010, 02:24:54 PM
How about combining the two and an Outback 2.5i Limited?

Also, why not at the Kizashi to the list? Iffy just reviewed it and gave it a thumbs up. It's a blend between compact and midsize, four doors, sporty, high quality interior, huge standard feature list, optional AWD AND a great warranty.

Does she want sporty? I never really got that impression.

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: ifcar on March 18, 2010, 02:41:03 PM
Does she want sporty? I never really got that impression.

No, but the step dad does. Who is putting up the money for it? He is I imagine. I also imagine he has a lot of input.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

I'm not loving the looks of the new Jetta wagon, actually.  I'd get a TDI sedan, personally, with a manual.

What about a Clubman?  Too small?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21548.msg1290813#msg1290813 date=1268946309
I'm not loving the looks of the new Jetta wagon, actually.  I'd get a TDI sedan, personally, with a manual.

What about a Clubman?  Too small?

Probably too small and my step-dad doesn't like them.

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 18, 2010, 02:45:22 PM
No, but the step dad does. Who is putting up the money for it? He is I imagine. I also imagine he has a lot of input.

They share finances and they make about the same amount (my mom probably makes a bit more, actually). My mom would be the primary driver of this car, but my step-dad will drive it too when they go somewhere together.

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 18, 2010, 02:24:54 PM
It would seem to me does she need the utility or not? If she does not, go with a Sedan. Better mileage. Better handling. Better driveability.

Yes and no. As I mentioned before, they use the Jeep for tailgating during football season and it gets pretty full with the TV, grill, chairs, coolers, table and we just bought a tailgate tent too. That said, we could probably use my step-dad's truck (Ram 1500, but he's looking to downsize to a Dakota) for tailgating, though we'd have to get a locking bed cover for the truck. It's also nice to have all that room for the occasional road-trip they take too.

I think that she mostly wants a SUV because she likes being up high. She's been driving an SUV or minivan for the past 20 years, so it's just what she's used to. I'll be sure to mention the advantages of a car though.

I liked your lists, though I might put five on each (specifically because she actually sat in a Civic and wasn't offended by its size, so I wouldn't want to knock it off).

Ignore the stuff in parentheses that you guys already know. I'm writing this list so that I can just copy/paste it to an e-mail for her. I mentioned the optional third row because they have four grandchildren that they might occasionally use. Does the CX-7 have an optional third row? I'm pretty sure the Subarus don't.

SUV/Crossover:
Honda CR-V
Kia Sorento (Optional third row of seats)
Mazda CX-7
Subaru Outback (a tall, car-based wagon. You would sit higher than you would in a car, but lower than in an SUV)
Subaru Forrester

Car:
Honda Accord
Suzuki Kizashi (A new, somewhat sporty compact sedan that has gotten very good reviews)
Mazda3 (sedan or hatchback)
VW Jetta (sedan or wagon - the wagon has an updated interior that I'm told is a lot better)
Honda Civic

ifcar

The CX-7 doesn't have a third row, and the Kizashi is compact, not midsize.

Any reason the RAV4 isn't on your list, by the way? I much prefer it to the CR-V myself.

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on March 15, 2010, 09:16:36 PM
Is she going to let you have any input, or is this just some masturbatory exercise?

Yeah, is your mom really going to buy what you suggest?

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT_Power

We're in the market for a new car as well. The Taurus is in the lead right now I think.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

BimmerM3

Quote from: ifcar on March 18, 2010, 04:17:43 PM
Any reason the RAV4 isn't on your list, by the way? I much prefer it to the CR-V myself.

I'm not really that familiar with them, so I don't know. :huh: I will say that it seems like my mom is at least a little anti-Toyota biased right now because of the accelerator issues.

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2010, 04:50:18 PM
Yeah, is your mom really going to buy what you suggest?

I mean, if I was just like "ZOMG Mom you should buy a used 911!!!!111!1!1" she would totally ignore me, but she values my opinion on things car-related. As mentioned before, she asked me to research possible replacements, and the other day on the way to the Ford dealership, she said that she values my opinion on whether or not a car drives well more than her own.

Besides, I'm not trying to tell her which car to buy, just to give her an idea of what some good cars are in the class she's looking at so that she can make a decision on her own.

Quote from: the Teuton on March 18, 2010, 05:00:19 PM
What about the wonderful Crosstour?

More expensive than other options and not any better.

SVT_Power

So much easier to suggest cars to my parents when they won't touch anything Japanese   :lol:

Kind of want them to get a Forester XT so I can take it over to my buddy's and get him to make the car more fun, but that won't happen unfortunately.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Atomic

Quote from: 565 on March 15, 2010, 09:32:22 PM
Crosstour?

Venza?

Murano?

they are all good, but one could get a loaded honda cr-v and get excellent gas mileage on top of a decent, safe and roomy vehicle.

ifcar

Quote from: Atomic on March 26, 2010, 05:34:47 PM
they are all good, but one could get a loaded honda cr-v and get excellent gas mileage on top of a decent, safe and roomy vehicle.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/roof/detailsbyclass.aspx?58

CJ

Too bad the CR-V isn't all that nice.  It doesn't look that good, and the interior isn't very nice.  I'd have a Tuscon over the CR-V. 

BimmerM3

Yeah, my step-dad really didn't like the CR-V he drove. He said it drove really rough.

For those that didn't see my post in The Chat Thread, my parents ended up with a 2010 Mazda Tribute S Grand Touring.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2010, 12:40:04 PM
They still make the Tribute?

For those who don't want to pay extra for a CX-7.

Raza

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on March 16, 2010, 09:55:59 AM
Here is a quick list of Zero to 60 times/1/4 Mile:

Mazda CX-7: 7.7 seconds/15.8 sec (2008 Turbo AWD)
Toyota RAV4: 8.6 seconds/16.7 sec (4 Cyl 4x4) 6.2 sec/14.7 sec (V6)
Honda CR-V: 9.0 sec/16.9 sec (4 Cyl AWD)
Ford Escape: 8.9 secs/16.7 sec (4 Cyl AWD)
Ford Edge: 7.5 sec/15.8 sec (V6 AWD)
Hyundai Sante Fe: 8.3 sec/16.3 sec (2008 AWD V6)
Subaru Outback: 9.4 sec (2010 AWD)
Subaru Forester: 8.8 secs (2.5I AWD)
Kia Sorento: 7.4 sec/15.4 sec (V6 FWD) 9.6 secs (I4 FWD)
VW Tiguan: 8.4 sec (Turbo AWD)

It looks like, no matter what you get, it will not be as fast.

Wow...to think that not that long ago, performance cars struggled to be that fast. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on March 27, 2010, 12:40:40 PM
For those who don't want to pay extra for a CX-7.

I haven't seen a Tribute in at least 6 years, if not 8.  It's based on the Escape, right?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2010, 12:41:56 PM
I haven't seen a Tribute in at least 6 years, if not 8.  It's based on the Escape, right?

You've probably seen them and not noticed them. It's still an Escape clone.