Jurisdiction...

Started by 850CSi, August 27, 2005, 09:42:17 AM

850CSi

I have a simple question:

Can a LEO from one city pull over and cite someone in a neighboring city?

Always wondered.

dazzleman

My understanding is that they can pursue you into another city or town for a violation committed in the town where they work.  I don't think they have jurisdiction to tag you for a violation committed in a city or town other than where they work.

The laws may differ by state.  I'm sure Catman can talk about the Massachusetts law.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

850CSi

A coincidence... I actually asked a cop today about it. He said it really depends on intent, but that a cop from one city can't just sit around in a neighboring area and try to get people for speeding. However, if he happens to be there and finds someone doing something, he has full Jurisdiction to pull them over and cite them.

Or at least that's how it is for Illinois.

Catman

This is a question that doesn't have any one answer.  As a routine matter in MA an officer and one town cannot stop a motorist in another town for a misdemeanor of civil violation.  However, if the offense is a felony you can as well as a fresh and continued pursuit.  You may also effect a stop with the permission of the OIC of the neighboring police department (Chief's designee).  Also, if the officer in question has been sworn in by the neighboring town he's all set.

Whistler

I saw something really weird relating to this the other day... a Surete du Quebec car driving down the highway in Ontario... I'm trying to figure out what he was doing here. Those are provincial police, so it would be like seeing a NY State Police car on the interstate in New Jersey or something I guess.

City Pig

They may have been going to pick up a person that someone arrested in Ontario on one of their warrants. Happens quite often that we drive to another area to pick someone up. Heck, a couple of years ago they flew in from Halifax to pick up one of their wanted people.

In Ontario you are sworn in for the province. If I happen to be driving in another jurisdiction and see something I don't like I can stop them and issue a ticket. In reality I might stop them and give them a talkin' to because if they fight the ticket I'd have to come to that area to go to court...And that's not worth the effort in my opinion.  

Catman

I drive up to Nashua, NH all the time to get computer stuff. ;)  

FlatBlackCaddy

Looks like your trigger finger is getting cold catman. Now they got you pushing papers and fixing printers. :D

Anyway(i'm not a cop) police can(and should be able to) enforce law in any area that isn't their normal jurisdiction. As stated it normally isn't for minor driving or civil infractions.

A funny bit of info, where i live there is actually a pretty big problem with a certain town speedtrapping the freeway that runs next to it. They have been doing it for years and the only reason they sit on the freeway is to write speeding tickets, and they write a ton of them. I think something like 90% of all traffic tickets written by the city were from motorists on the freeway. It really ticks off the local Highway patrolmen who are supposed to be patroling the area.

850CSi

QuoteLooks like your trigger finger is getting cold catman. Now they got you pushing papers and fixing printers. :D

Anyway(i'm not a cop) police can(and should be able to) enforce law in any area that isn't their normal jurisdiction. As stated it normally isn't for minor driving or civil infractions.

A funny bit of info, where i live there is actually a pretty big problem with a certain town speedtrapping the freeway that runs next to it. They have been doing it for years and the only reason they sit on the freeway is to write speeding tickets, and they write a ton of them. I think something like 90% of all traffic tickets written by the city were from motorists on the freeway. It really ticks off the local Highway patrolmen who are supposed to be patroling the area.
When I asked the officer about it, he said pretty much what has been said here, and he added that it really depends on intent, and he gave a specific example:
"If I jump on I-55 to go to County Line Rd. from here and someone zooms by me going 100+, there's no doubt I'll stop him. But I can't be sitting out of I-55 with my radar giving out tickets."

Champ

QuoteA funny bit of info, where i live there is actually a pretty big problem with a certain town speedtrapping the freeway that runs next to it. They have been doing it for years and the only reason they sit on the freeway is to write speeding tickets, and they write a ton of them. I think something like 90% of all traffic tickets written by the city were from motorists on the freeway. It really ticks off the local Highway patrolmen who are supposed to be patroling the area.
Do you live in MN?
If yes where is it you're talking about?
If no then I guess dis-regard this question :P

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteA funny bit of info, where i live there is actually a pretty big problem with a certain town speedtrapping the freeway that runs next to it. They have been doing it for years and the only reason they sit on the freeway is to write speeding tickets, and they write a ton of them. I think something like 90% of all traffic tickets written by the city were from motorists on the freeway. It really ticks off the local Highway patrolmen who are supposed to be patroling the area.
Do you live in MN?
If yes where is it you're talking about?
If no then I guess dis-regard this question :P
Yes i live in minnesota. and the area i'm talking about is on 35W(about 12 miles north of roseville/minneapolis). Its at the Lino Lakes exit(city of lino lakes). Anyway the city cops sit and speed trap the freeway all the time(just by their exit/under the bridge). They do it all the time, even though they are continually told by the STATE police that they can't sit there and speedtrap.

They simply do it for money.

Champ

hmm, been lucky there I guess, I never got a ticket on I-35 or I-35W in my 4 years of speeding to school.  Must have just gone by at the right times all the time.

FlatBlackCaddy

Lino cops in general are supposed to be the worst in the area, i've only been stopped by one(i was speeding and i had a out headlight) and all i got was a friendly warning.

They don't sit on the freeway much anymore(not like they used to), i think complaints from motorists and pressure from the state is finally sending the message home.

Still its not uncommon to find a couple(2-3) lino cars speed trapping under the bridge from time to time.