Let's say a guy's the first one at a light...

Started by 850CSi, August 27, 2005, 09:50:44 AM

850CSi

All  the way up to the speed limit. I've heard that cops will pull you over for that (especially if you have a really fast car) on the basis of reckless driving. Is that true?

Becuase that's the way I usually do it: If I'm the first one at a light, I'm going to floor it all the way up to the limit and then cruise at 5 over. My car isn't particularly fast, though...

giant_mtb

I don't see why they'd pull you over...I mean maybe if you have some crazily loud exhaust system or something, but otherwise that's weird.  I've always wondered if they would pull you over for accelerating "too fast", though...  :blink:  

TurboDan

Yeah, I think it's called "excessive display of speed" or something like that.  I usually take off from lights the same way you do, but I've never actually been pulled over for it.  

If another car is in the next lane and also takes off to beat you, they could probably get you for racing.

Catman

In MA there's really no specific statute for what you describe.  It would have to fall under reckless operation or driving to endanger.

Raza

Probably not.  My brother did this not too long ago, and classic him, he didn't realize that the car behind him was a 5-0 (it was at night, I'll give him that).  He blasted from 0-40 in a 35 and let off.  Cop didn't give a shit.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteYeah, I think it's called "excessive display of speed" or something like that.  I usually take off from lights the same way you do, but I've never actually been pulled over for it.  

If another car is in the next lane and also takes off to beat you, they could probably get you for racing.
I imagine you'd get something like that for peeling out if you leave smoke and tracks and what not.  I was racing a Vette in my E320 (or rather, he was toying with me--the car had been modified and could have blown me away at any time, worse than a normal Vette) and when he got rambunctious, he started laying down tracks around corners.  That might get you in trouble.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

QuoteYeah, I think it's called "excessive display of speed" or something like that.  I usually take off from lights the same way you do, but I've never actually been pulled over for it. 

I imagine you'd get something like that for peeling out if you leave smoke and tracks and what not.  I was racing a Vette in my E320 (or rather, he was toying with me--the car had been modified and could have blown me away at any time, worse than a normal Vette) and when he got rambunctious, he started laying down tracks around corners.  That might get you in trouble.
Peeling out is a different story.  Here it's usually an excessive noise issue or if outrageous, reckless operation.

Tom

I used to do that, but it when my engine revs up to the redline and then shifts at a high rpm it sounds like I'm doing the engine harm.  Now I wait atleast 15 minutes for the engine to warm up and the oil to circulate before doing any of that, and even after waiting I do 0-X runs much less often in order to save gas, engine and tranny wear, and tickets.  Plus, it kind of makes you look like an ass.

dazzleman

It could be an issue, I think, if you burn rubber.  That could lead to a reckless driving charge on the basis that a too-quick acceleration means you don't have control of your car, and the burning rubber proves that.

This is something that would really be a judgment call.  Let's just say, if a cop wanted to pull you over for some unrelated reason, this would probably give him a handy excuse to do so.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!