Overpowered FWD Cars

Started by TurboDan, March 23, 2010, 11:12:33 PM

TurboDan

My girlfriend's Dad just picked up a mint '93 Caddy Allante (was owned by the Pres. of an Allante club, so it was extremely well taken care of). But boy is that thing a BEAST with its FWD and the 4.6L Northstar.

What are some of the strangest FWD cars of all time? The Allante has to be one - or at least why it was completely owned by the SL, it's main competitor. In all honesty, my old Saab probably should have been RWD, as torque steer was an absolute bit and a half in that thing, especially coming down from highway speed into a toll plaza or traffic jam quickly. But that would go against Saab tradition, of course.

the Teuton

I drove one of the original semi-tuner MINI Cooper S JWCs...that was my first real encounter with torque steer, but dear lord was that car fun!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

I really couldn't say, as I've only ever owned one FWD car. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

The late 70's and early 80's saw FWD as "the way of the future", and thus it was put on nearly every application without rhyme or reason. A lot of it worked out. A lot didn't.

Colin

I believe the SAAB 9.3 Viggen was pure torque-steer personified! Early 9.5 Aeros were known for being a bit wayward, too. Opinions varied on the first gen Focus RS, but some say that it was also a bit of handful for the un-stig drivers out there. I could even provoke it (to a very limited extent!) on a wet day with a heavy right foot in my Alfa 164 2.0

Modern traction control systems and other electronic trickery have largely eradicated the challenge.... we now seem to be on to different challenges, as the recent Pious incidents seem to indicate, where it may well be the case that the car's brain far exceed those of some the drivers!

ifcar

Quote from: Rupert on March 24, 2010, 01:10:13 AM
I really couldn't say, as I've only ever owned one FWD car. :lol:

It was definitely overpowered though. Damn near triple-digit hp!

Onslaught

My brothers 1991 MX-6 GT would just about jerk the wheel out of your hand when the turbo kicked in. And compared to todays FWD cars it's got no power at all. Shows how far they've come.

But I still don't like them and won't get another unless I've got no choice.

ChrisV

1970 Eldorado. FWD. 500 cid engine (8.2 liters) 400 rated horsepower and had 550 lb-ft of torque.

It also had optional ABS available.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

Quote from: ChrisV on March 24, 2010, 09:07:04 AM

1970 Eldorado. FWD. 500 cid engine (8.2 liters) 400 rated horsepower and had 550 lb-ft of torque.

If it was still based on the same chassis as the Toronado, torque steer shouldn't have been an issue, either. Apparently, GM did a really nice job with those things.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

Quote from: ChrisV on March 24, 2010, 09:07:04 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but is that 400 actual horsepower, or 400 1960's horsepower?  :ohyeah:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

AutobahnSHO

Pedal on the floor, 1st gear= massive shimmying in the 1990 Taurus SHO.
(Most powerful FWD car in the world at the time.)
Will

J86

My buddy's turbocharged and modified (beyond the regular JCW package) JCW Cooper S.  Thing is a freakin' beast!  No idea what it is putting down.

the Teuton

Quote from: J86 on March 24, 2010, 09:26:03 AM
My buddy's turbocharged and modified (beyond the regular JCW package) JCW Cooper S.  Thing is a freakin' beast!  No idea what it is putting down.

I drove an incredibly modified Mini Cooper S back in the day...almost every panel that could have been replaced with carbon fiber had been. It had semi-slick tires and a full coilover suspension. It was faster (and louder) than hell.

Those cars can be great fun.

SVT666

MazdaSpeed 3 torque steers like a sonofabitch.  Compare that to something like the Cobalt SS Turbo which makes similar power and has far far less torque steer.  The Focus RS in Europe with 300 hp going to the front wheels has virtually no torque steer at all.

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 09:13:45 AM
If it was still based on the same chassis as the Toronado, torque steer shouldn't have been an issue, either. Apparently, GM did a really nice job with those things.

That was the last of that chassis, too. In '71, it all went downhill, in both ability and quality. the '70s were supposedly quite agile for their size, and yeah, no torque steer even with 550 lb ft of torque.

Quote from: Submariner on March 24, 2010, 09:18:51 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but is that 400 actual horsepower, or 400 1960's horsepower?  :ohyeah:

'60s SAE Gross. SAE net would have been about 350 hp and 450 lb ft. Still plenty to keep up with the musclecars of the day. But I've seen the 500s hitting 700 lb ft of torque in street trim on chassis dynos these days with minimal work. Monsterous.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

the Teuton

Quote from: ChrisV on March 24, 2010, 09:38:37 AM

That was the last of that chassis, too. In '71, it all went downhill, in both ability and quality. the '70s were supposedly quite agile for their size, and yeah, no torque steer even with 550 lb ft of torque.

'60s SAE Gross. SAE net would have been about 350 hp and 450 lb ft. Still plenty to keep up with the musclecars of the day. But I've seen the 500s hitting 700 lb ft of torque in street trim on chassis dynos these days with minimal work. Monsterous.

Yeah, with that transaxle, GM actually used a chain and turned one of their RWD transmissions sideways to make it all work, as per some research I had to do a few years back when I wrote display cards for that concours d'elegance. Truly fascinating how innovative GM used to be.

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on March 24, 2010, 09:34:37 AM
MazdaSpeed 3 torque steers like a sonofabitch.  Compare that to something like the Cobalt SS Turbo which makes similar power and has far far less torque steer.  The Focus RS in Europe with 300 hp going to the front wheels has virtually no torque steer at all.
I've seen reviews that says it's there. Perhaps not as bad as you'd think with that kind of power. But still there.

Tave

I thought Speed3 cut power in 1st and 2nd to minimize torque steer. Does that system not work very well?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Onslaught

Quote from: Tave on March 24, 2010, 09:49:47 AM
I thought Speed3 cut power in 1st and 2nd to minimize torque steer. Does that system not work very well?
I'm sure it helps a good bit. But it's still there. I've never been in ANY FWD car that didn't have some.

93JC

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 09:41:03 AM
Yeah, with that transaxle, GM actually used a chain and turned one of their RWD transmissions sideways to make it all work, as per some research I had to do a few years back when I wrote display cards for that concours d'elegance. Truly fascinating how innovative GM used to be.

They used a chain so they didn't have to turn it sideways. The THM 425 is a THM 400 with everything (the internal components) turning the other way, big chains to transfer power to the side and a differential grafted on.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on March 24, 2010, 09:46:32 AM
I've seen reviews that says it's there. Perhaps not as bad as you'd think with that kind of power. But still there.
Watch the Fifth Gear and Top Gear videos.  I can't remember which one it is, but they let go of the steering wheel and stomped on the loud pedal and the steering wheel moved, but not much.

Raza

Quote from: Colin on March 24, 2010, 06:11:54 AM
I believe the SAAB 9.3 Viggen was pure torque-steer personified!

The Viggen may have been a handful, but my god, it was magical to drive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 09:41:03 AM

A bit ironic since GM later made this car.

Top gear had it at full throttle and full lock and it went in a straight line.

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on March 24, 2010, 09:34:37 AM
MazdaSpeed 3 torque steers like a sonofabitch.  Compare that to something like the Cobalt SS Turbo which makes similar power and has far far less torque steer.  The Focus RS in Europe with 300 hp going to the front wheels has virtually no torque steer at all.

I was actually surprised that the torque steer wasn't worse on the Speed3.  In a straight line, at least, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.  I was waiting for it to try to rip the wheel out of my hands every time I floored it, which it really didn't do.  Romping on it in a turn (like accelerating on an on-ramp) did send some strange sensations up the steering column, almost like it was fighting your inputs, which I didn't care for.  Granted, that was a 2010 model.  I don't know if the previous generation was worse.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

3.0L V6

The 1980s Shelby GLH and GLHS were known for their quickness and torque steer galore.

GoCougs

The '70 Eldorado (and its kissing cousin the neater IMO FWD Olds Toronado) had so much g-d weight over the front axle that torque steer was an impossibility.

Yes, it had 400 hp but then again it weighed ~4,700 lbs so no, it wasn't running with muscle cars of the day. 

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on March 24, 2010, 03:08:22 PM
The 1908s Shelby GLH and GLHS were known for their quickness and torque steer galore.

I had an '84 Shelby GLH, and it was a blast to drive before it assploded spectacularly.

I remember how the Grand Prix GXP actually had wider tires in the front than the back.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/05q4/pontiac_grand_prix_gxp-road_test

"Bridgestone Potenza RE050As, 255/45-18 front, 225/50-18 rear."

Are there other cars that do this?  Wider front tires than rear ones?