Surprisingly good cars

Started by the Teuton, March 24, 2010, 06:18:41 PM

the Teuton

What's a car that you've tried to hate with all of your will in being, yet you can't? No matter how much you look at it or drive it, you find it a remarkably better car than you thought it would be.

For me:

With the exception of some cheap plastic here and there, it's a surprisingly capable, user-friendly package -- and I'd probably recommend one, as long as someone would be willing to take the depreciation hit and reliability pans out all right. The Journey is a pretty nice vehicle.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Jon?

I rented a Grand Caravan while vacationing in the Carolinas and I was surprised how much I like it.  Roomy (obviously) but rode well and comfortable.  Enjoyed all the power doo-dads too - who'd have thought closing a sidedoor with a button would be so much fun?

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

3.0L V6

'09 Hyundai Sonata. Compared to previous Sonatas I've been in, it's light-years ahead of them. No enthusiast pretensions whatsoever, but painless to operate and well built.

Rupert

Ranger and Explorer. I was not a Ford person before I bought my old Ranger.

[/troll] :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Vinsanity

I found the last-gen Taurus to be a nearly perfect vehicle for most people who shop midsize sedans: very spacious, smooth ride, predictable handling, and very good power from the 3.5L engine.

Onslaught

Nothing. If I want to hate something I've got no problem doing so.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2010, 10:33:45 PM
I found the last-gen Taurus to be a nearly perfect vehicle for most people who shop midsize sedans: very spacious, smooth ride, predictable handling, and very good power from the 3.5L engine.

I never realized they had 3.5L. WHere can I get one?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 24, 2010, 10:39:15 PM
I never realized they had 3.5L. WHere can I get one?

All of them had 3.5 liter V6s.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 10:41:36 PM

Oh, that last gen. I don't even count that as a gen. That's like half a gen. Ok, ya got me there.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 06:18:41 PM
What's a car that you've tried to hate with all of your will in being, yet you can't? No matter how much you look at it or drive it, you find it a remarkably better car than you thought it would be.

For me:

With the exception of some cheap plastic here and there, it's a surprisingly capable, user-friendly package -- and I'd probably recommend one, as long as someone would be willing to take the depreciation hit and reliability pans out all right. The Journey is a pretty nice vehicle.

Midsize on the outside, smaller-than-compact on the inside.

ChrisV

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 06:18:41 PM
What's a car that you've tried to hate with all of your will in being, yet you can't?

Trying to hate? I seriously can't understand the mentality behind that. Why would you WANT to hate something?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Jon?

Quote from: ChrisV on March 25, 2010, 05:35:28 AM
Trying to hate? I seriously can't understand the mentality behind that. Why would you WANT to hate something?

I heard it makes you stronger.

Tave

I was never a big fan of the Grand Prix until I spent a lot of time around my friend's GTP. Now I have a real soft-spot for that car.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 25, 2010, 07:15:23 AM
I was never a big fan of the Grand Prix until I spent a lot of time around my friend's GTP. Now I have a real soft-spot for that car.

I'm the same way with the last generation Impala.  My friend's dad had one, and I quite liked it.  Now he has a 3.6 Passat, which he likes much better. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Tave on March 25, 2010, 07:15:23 AM

Those S/C 3.8's will getcha. :mask:

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on March 25, 2010, 04:19:41 AM
Midsize on the outside, smaller-than-compact on the inside.

It can seat 7 people, and it's not any smaller for the first two rows of accommodations than an Edge really.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on March 25, 2010, 09:09:12 AM
It can seat 7 people, and it's not any smaller for the first two rows of accommodations than an Edge really.

It has seven seatbelts, but it can't seat seven people. Definitely tighter than the Edge in the back seat (middle row) and for cargo -- and I'm no fan of the Edge either.

SVT666

I have two.

The Camaro isn't really a very good car, but damn did I enjoy driving it...and I want to again.

68_427

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 24, 2010, 10:33:45 PM

I love those cars.  Almost luxo-barge backseat space and quite possibly the biggest trunk of any mass produce sedan.  You left out the standard 6spd too.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Morris Minor

A 4.0 Chrysler Pacifica I rented in Baltimore: quiet, lots of space (loads of rear seat legroom), lots of power, & enough cargo capacity for all our stuff. Even the valet parking guys at the hotel commented that they liked it.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CJ

The 4.0 Pacifica IS a surprisingly good car.  Sure, there are some cheaper materials, but it's a solid vehicle.  Drives very solidly, too.

Colin

Quote from: the Teuton on March 24, 2010, 10:41:36 PM

I've just been driving a brown one (OK, Cinnamon Metallic in Ford speak),a nd agree that it was a car far better than its sales volumes would suggest. Not exciting, but perfectly pleasant........ full test report to come presently.

I would add the 2.7 V6 Kia Rondo to the list....... I even prefer the looks to the Mazda 5, and the V6 engine makes all the difference.

Raza

First generation Buick Lacrosse.  It was actually pretty fun to drive. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Jon?

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2010, 07:14:00 PM

Good call.

CALL_911

Quote from: Onslaught on March 24, 2010, 10:38:40 PM
Nothing. If I want to hate something I've got no problem doing so.

Likewise.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

BimmerM3

Quote from: CJ on March 26, 2010, 12:04:57 PM
The 4.0 Pacifica IS a surprisingly good car.  Sure, there are some cheaper materials, but it's a solid vehicle.  Drives very solidly, too.

Gawd, I couldn't stand the Pacifica I drove.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Jon™ on March 24, 2010, 06:46:32 PM
I rented a Grand Caravan while vacationing in the Carolinas and I was surprised how much I like it.  Roomy (obviously) but rode well and comfortable.  Enjoyed all the power doo-dads too - who'd have thought closing a sidedoor with a button would be so much fun?
I drive one everyday. And as much as I hate minivans I have to admit that it's pretty good. And those power doors do come in handy.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2010, 07:14:00 PM

wut

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on March 28, 2010, 05:16:54 PM
wut

I drove one in 2004.  A CXS, I think.  I liked it, but not as much as my Passat.

The review should still be up on The Bear.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on March 28, 2010, 05:46:51 PM
I drove one in 2004.  A CXS, I think.  I liked it, but not as much as my Passat.

The review should still be up on The Bear.

I drove one, every day for the last 3.5 years.  Not a good car.