Will we get the BlueSport in the U.S.?

Started by TurboDan, March 27, 2010, 03:55:01 PM

Jon?

Quote from: 2o6 on March 29, 2010, 11:19:31 AM

I think he means in the US, where VW's presence us quite limited.

Actually, I think all those cars listed are available in the US.  Perhaps they need a wider dealer presence?

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

2o6

Quote from: Jon? on March 29, 2010, 11:20:55 AM
Actually, I think all those cars listed are available in the US.  Perhaps they need a wider dealer presence?

Or, just cut the price.

Xer0

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 29, 2010, 10:33:39 AM
MORE cars?

Besides the VW range (Golf, Jetta, Passat, Passat CC, Tiguan, Touraeg, that minivan thing), there's the ever expanding Audi (A3, A4, A5, A6, A8, TT, R8, Q5, Q7).  In the rest of the world, there's SEAT and Skoda.  Not forgetting Bentley, Lamborghini and Bugatti.  VW now has a stake in Suzuki too - what's the betting they'll take it over in full at some point?

I think that's not far off the Toyota/Lexus range in the US in terms of choice, and they do pretty well in sales.  GM proved that more is not necessarily more, and as a fierce GM critic I'm sure you'd agree...

Don't forget Porsche

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: 2o6 on March 29, 2010, 11:19:31 AM

I think he means in the US, where VW's presence us quite limited.

...which my post specifically addressed.

Jon?

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 29, 2010, 12:26:24 PM

I count 13 models at the US VW website, if you don't break out diesel models.  Toyota's US site lists 16.

TurboDan

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on March 29, 2010, 12:26:24 PM

But how are they limited here? We don't get the Fox, Scirocco or Touran, but we get everything else. At least in this area, there are plenty of dealerships, and until one burnt down a couple years back, there were 3 VW dealers within 20 minutes of my house.

On that note, I'll just say for the record that I wish they did sell the Scirocco here.

omicron

I certainly don't want such a lovely convertible with a diesel engine, and I doubt many Americans would, either.

AltinD

Quote from: Jon™ on March 29, 2010, 12:45:36 PM
I count 13 models at the US VW website, if you don't break out diesel models.  Toyota's US site lists 16.

New Beattle, Golf, GTI, Jetta, EOS, Passat, CC, Tiguan, Routan, Touareg ... what are the others?  (don't count wagons as separate models, even splitting the GTI isn't neccessary.)

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

Quote from: TurboDan on March 29, 2010, 05:21:00 PM
But how are they limited here? We don't get the Fox, Scirocco or Touran, but we get everything else.

You also don't get the Phaeton or the Caddy, Sharan, Transporter, Multivan etc.

Jon?

Quote from: AltinD on March 30, 2010, 06:27:28 AM
New Beattle, Golf, GTI, Jetta, EOS, Passat, CC, Tiguan, Routan, Touareg ... what are the others?  (don't count wagons as separate models, even splitting the GTI isn't neccessary.)

They have the wagons separate on their site.  They also break out the Beetle Convertible.  I think that accounts for 13.

AltinD

Thank god they don't differentiate by engine trim also. Sometimes, 5 years ago, they were offering (in Europe) more then 10 engine trims on the Passat alone :lol:

Petrol: 1.6, 1.8T, 2.0 8v, 2.0 20v, 2.5 V5, 2.8 V6, 4.0 W8,
Diesel (TDi): 1.9 90HP, 1.9 110Hp, 1.9 130Hp, 2.5 V6 which I think reached 180HP at the end of the life-cycle

And then you had the option of MT or AT and AWD 4Motion on most of them.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: TurboDan on March 29, 2010, 05:21:00 PM
But how are they limited here? We don't get the Fox, Scirocco or Touran, but we get everything else. At least in this area, there are plenty of dealerships, and until one burnt down a couple years back, there were 3 VW dealers within 20 minutes of my house.

On that note, I'll just say for the record that I wish they did sell the Scirocco here.

I meant that post was with regard to the US market - I was demonstrating the VW do have a significant presence there and I only listed models available in America (as I recall anyway, I didn't check on the VW site).

Quote from: Xer0 on March 29, 2010, 11:40:09 AM
Don't forget Porsche

Of course!  I keep forgetting!

Quote from: Jon? on March 29, 2010, 12:45:36 PM

I think VW more than compensate with the amount of Audi models vs the amount of Lexus models.

TurboDan

Ha, I didn't even know they still made the Phaeton. They sold that here until a couple years ago. Hardly anybody bought them.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Jon? on March 30, 2010, 06:32:28 AM
They have the wagons separate on their site.  They also break out the Beetle Convertible.  I think that accounts for 13.

I don't care what they call models. The models that they sell are the New Beetle, Golf, Eos, Jetta, Passat, CC, Tiguan, Touareg and Routan. Any variation of these are trim levels/body styles. 

That said, it's still a pretty comprehensive lineup.

BimmerM3

Quote from: the Teuton on March 27, 2010, 04:25:13 PM
why sell a $30k VW sports car when the same people who'd buy it would be willing to buy a CPO Boxster or just get the $40k Porsche version instead?

Because they wouldn't be willing to buy a CPO Boxster and not everyone just has an extra 10 grand laying around?

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 30, 2010, 01:41:39 PM
Because they wouldn't be willing to buy a CPO Boxster and not everyone just has an extra 10 grand laying around?

If you're buying a sports car, you're most likely not buying it as your primary people mover.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 30, 2010, 01:58:35 PM
If you're buying a sports car, you're most likely not buying it as your primary people mover.

Dude, you lost. Just stop. The neighbors are staring.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Jon?

Quote from: BimmerM3 on March 30, 2010, 01:37:31 PM
I don't care what they call models. The models that they sell are the New Beetle, Golf, Eos, Jetta, Passat, CC, Tiguan, Touareg and Routan. Any variation of these are trim levels/body styles. 

That said, it's still a pretty comprehensive lineup.

Yeah, that was the point I was making.  Their lineup here is really only lacking a truck.

Galaxy

Quote from: Jon? on March 30, 2010, 02:16:44 PM
Yeah, that was the point I was making.  Their lineup here is really only lacking a truck.

Amarok

Not in the US yet, but probably soon.

TurboDan

Quote from: the Teuton on March 30, 2010, 01:58:35 PM

But what does that have to do with how much money you have? You can like sports cars but not be able to afford a $40K sports car.

TurboDan

Quote from: Galaxy on March 30, 2010, 02:20:51 PM

Amarok

Not in the US yet, but probably soon.

Wow, how can they not be selling that in the U.S.? Does it sell well anywhere else?

Looks kinda like a nicer Honda Ridgeline.

TurboDan

Hmm... After a little reading, it looks like the hurdle is the "chicken tax." Basically, there is a 25% import tax on German-built pickup trucks as a result of Germany imposing a 25% tax on imported chicken from the U.S. in the 1960s. Neither tax has ever been repealed, hence why VW make elect not to sell it here.

Galaxy

Quote from: TurboDan on March 30, 2010, 02:41:08 PM
Wow, how can they not be selling that in the U.S.? Does it sell well anywhere else?

Looks kinda like a nicer Honda Ridgeline.

Sales are just getting underway. The sales goal is 90,000 a year.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TurboDan on March 30, 2010, 02:44:21 PM
Hmm... After a little reading, it looks like the hurdle is the "chicken tax." Basically, there is a 25% import tax on German-built pickup trucks as a result of Germany imposing a 25% tax on imported chicken from the U.S. in the 1960s. Neither tax has ever been repealed, hence why VW make elect not to sell it here.

Chickens are stupid. They should "build" them in Mexico.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AltinD

The Amarok is build in South America not Germany

TurboDan

Quote from: AltinD on March 30, 2010, 04:01:02 PM
The Amarok is build in South America not Germany

Yeah. But it's a German company. So apparently that trade law is in effect anyway. Weird stuff, but such as the complexities of international trade. Our chickens versus Germany's pickup trucks... who knew.

MX793

Quote from: TurboDan on March 30, 2010, 05:00:53 PM
Yeah. But it's a German company. So apparently that trade law is in effect anyway. Weird stuff, but such as the complexities of international trade. Our chickens versus Germany's pickup trucks... who knew.

I don't believe that's the case.  Such import tariffs are why companies will set up shop and build a vehicle in the market in which it's sold, making it no longer an imported vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

Quote from: MX793 on March 30, 2010, 06:18:28 PM
I don't believe that's the case.  Such import tariffs are why companies will set up shop and build a vehicle in the market in which it's sold, making it no longer an imported vehicle.

Well, I'm going by what all of the auto sites are saying. It seems pretty universal that the chicken tax is the reasoning behind why VW isn't bringing it here.