After the fall of Civilization

Started by SVT32V, March 28, 2010, 12:37:12 PM

SVT32V

this might be the vehicle of choice. For over $100K and that much weight, it should come with a hemi or at least supercharge that minvan engine
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_hard_way_to_hemingway_we_drive_a_120_000_jeep_earthroamer_-feature

Not sure how useful a toilet will be at that point, but the shower might prove useful.

the Teuton

Update 12/09: Owner Bill Swails tells us that EarthRoamer went into Chapter 7 bankruptcy but has emerged as "Xpedition Vehicle Service, LLC," a company that services and manufacturers EarthRoamers, whose trademarked name they've somehow kept. Both the Jeep- and F-350-based EarthRoamers are still being serviced and assembled for sale.

The Jeep J8 would have been a better platform for a car like this -- and that's only $50k for what would probably cost more than that to replicate.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Galaxy

An Austrian company Action Mobile offers products for this niche.

Granted they could use a new interior designer but that is fixable.

Galaxy

Although quite frankly after the fall I would feel safer in something like this.

SVT32V

Quote from: Galaxy on March 28, 2010, 01:07:51 PM
Although quite frankly after the fall I would feel safer in something like this.
You might do better in this one.

S204STi

That with a CIWS mounted would be pretty great for post-apocalyptic living.  Just stock it ahead of time with imperishable supplies and then only make landfall on known safe coasts with your rifle to hunt for food, or mount a fishing rig to be completely independent.  

Oh, or this!

Xer0

Quote from: Galaxy on March 28, 2010, 01:02:35 PM
An Austrian company Action Mobile offers products for this niche.

Granted they could use a new interior designer but that is fixable.

Hmm, that looks like quite a good niche  :thumbsup:

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT32V on March 28, 2010, 01:19:21 PM
You might do better in this one.

Even if civilization has a whole has collapsed, that's no excuse to personally give up a civilized life style.  :praise:

Laconian

I would definitely go with the Peregrine Falcon. I don't want to have to fight the Smokers every time I need to get my fuel tank refilled.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on March 28, 2010, 01:48:52 PM
I would definitely go with the Peregrine Falcon. I don't want to have to fight the Smokers every time I need to get my fuel tank refilled.

Which is why I would choose a sail boat. Yes I know that the hydraulics on modern yachts are energy hogs,  but one can re-rig for manual deployment.

If the pesky energy problem would not be an an issue in a post apocalypse world then this would be worth a consideration.

Top speed is nearly 70mph, but the fuel consumption at that speed is almost 1000 gallons per hour.  :mask:

Laconian

I bet that thing could house its own nuclear reactor. Energy problems, solved!

I'm reading a book called Snow Crash, which features a villain that rides on a motorcycle with a warhead sidecar that is set to detonate should he die. I would have a similar system with my nuclear yacht. Nobody would mess with me in the places where my boat is moored.

Pommes-T

'00 BMW 523i

Rupert

In the post-apocalyptic world (assuming it's just a regular apocalypse and not a Cougspocalypse), you want an armored nuclear-powered ship big enough to hold a helicopter, a few useful people (mechanics, doctors, gunners, etc.), nuclear fuel processing, fishing rigs, guns, some land vehicles of a few sizes. As long as you're the biggest thing out there, and don't fuck with other people, your society should survive.

Or, just go with a small boat and an ATV, and carry a couple of people and some guns.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

What would a post-Cougspocalyptic world look like, and what kind of vehicle would you need to survive in it?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

Raza

Give me a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon hardtop. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on March 28, 2010, 03:42:10 PM
What would a post-Cougspocalyptic world look like, and what kind of vehicle would you need to survive in it?

V6 AT Accords.

the Teuton

BTW, our Enterprise had a Wrangler Unlimited with the freedom top the other day. I so wanted to drive that.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Vinsanity

as cool as living in a decked-out mega-yacht in a post-apocalyptic world seems, you would have to arm yourself to the teeth to protect yourself, being an inevitable target for pirates. you would most definitely need a crew to operate that kind of firepower, in which case there's always at least a slight risk of a mutiny.

surviving the fall of civilization as a renegade lone wolf type, I would opt for something like this:

with all the features of the Earthroamer Jeep. and the A-Team paint job :rockon:

Vinsanity

come to think of it, I think an Escalade with a plow attached to the front is more my flavor

r0tor

nuclear powered submarine please...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Submariner

Fuck all of that.

If it were me, I'd throw on a couple more CIWS - 20 or so.  Keep a small wing of aircraft, and have at least 30 tactical nukes...or what the hell, the absolute biggest nukes I can fit onto a missile an
F/A-18 can handle.

The Westinghouse nuclear reactor has 140,000 shaft horsepower, and doesn't need to be "refueled" for 15+ years.  And, to appease the few remaining hippies/greenies, I'll keep all aircraft below deck and turn all areas not dedicated to landing/launching aircraft into a wind/solar farm with organic vegetables growing in between.

Brilliant! 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

J86

J86

It's so crazy that Phocea was sailed single-handed.

Catman

Quote from: Pommes-T on March 28, 2010, 03:01:26 PM

I'd get one of these instead!  :lol:

You'll be out of fuel in a few hours.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Submariner on March 29, 2010, 10:31:40 AM
Fuck all of that.

If it were me, I'd throw on a couple more CIWS - 20 or so.  Keep a small wing of aircraft, and have at least 30 tactical nukes...or what the hell, the absolute biggest nukes I can fit onto a missile an
F/A-18 can handle.

The Westinghouse nuclear reactor has 140,000 shaft horsepower, and doesn't need to be "refueled" for 15+ years.  And, to appease the few remaining hippies/greenies, I'll keep all aircraft below deck and turn all areas not dedicated to landing/launching aircraft into a wind/solar farm with organic vegetables growing in between.

Brilliant! 

Can you pick me up after the Cougspocalypse? I want to stay on your boat.