After the fall of Civilization

Started by SVT32V, March 28, 2010, 12:37:12 PM

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2010, 10:41:51 PM
Pink and purple spaceships, it's gotta be Halo.

So says the image link. And to that, I say, LOLWUT.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Enough with your whale- and phallus-shaped ships. The Borg will assimilate all. Resistance...is futile.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

The joke is that the Galactica was the ship used to escape the apocalypse. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on March 29, 2010, 11:05:42 PM
The joke is that the Galactica was the ship used to escape the apocalypse. ;)

I feel like an idiot. :facepalm:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on March 29, 2010, 11:13:16 PM
I feel like an idiot. :facepalm:
Time to turn in your nerd badge!

Oh wait, you were never issued one.

Carry on, then.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2010, 11:22:52 PM
Time to turn in your nerd badge!

Oh wait, you were never issued one.

Carry on, then.

Yeah, BTW, I think it was probably your recommendation that got me finally watching (and finishing and thinking about re-watching) BSG. :ohyeah:

Minpin

Quote from: Submariner on March 29, 2010, 10:31:40 AM
Fuck all of that.

If it were me, I'd throw on a couple more CIWS - 20 or so.  Keep a small wing of aircraft, and have at least 30 tactical nukes...or what the hell, the absolute biggest nukes I can fit onto a missile an
F/A-18 can handle.

The Westinghouse nuclear reactor has 140,000 shaft horsepower, and doesn't need to be "refueled" for 15+ years.  And, to appease the few remaining hippies/greenies, I'll keep all aircraft below deck and turn all areas not dedicated to landing/launching aircraft into a wind/solar farm with organic vegetables growing in between.

Brilliant! 

YES! A floating city with a necessary 5000 man crew! Feeding for 5k in a post apoclyptic world would be cake! Not to mention having some way to establish your authority over everyone else. (And let's face it subie, your no james bond)

You truly do deserve a prize for this brilliant idea!

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Minpin

Anyways, everyone here is doing it wrong. I would live in a place that was I dunno maybe designed for a post apocalyptic world. You know, maybe like, Cheyenne Mountain??

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Rupert

Yes, because you'd be able to get in there, or anywhere else.

The thing about impenetrable fortresses is that they're good at outlasting a siege, but not so good at living in forever. You still have to go out to get supplies, and there is undoubtedly a horde of violent people in front.

Galaxy

Quote from: Rupert on March 29, 2010, 09:50:41 PM
Wins.

Except Galactica will actually survive until we find, uh, Earth II?

But we already are Earth 2. Perhaps Earth 1 has recovered by now.

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on March 29, 2010, 09:50:41 PM
Wins.

Except Galactica will actually survive until we find, uh, Earth II?

That's true, yet without a doubt the Pegasus was the superior ship.  If Lee "Dumbass" Adama hadn't gone and rammed it into shit I think it would have done a bit better long-term.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on March 29, 2010, 07:58:54 PM
To tell the truth, the apocalypse would leave the roads largely intact.

Likely, we'd be riding in/driving cars that were working.

Probably a clapped out Corolla or something.

They wouldn't be intact for long.  In the north, at least, they are in a perpetual state of upkeep and repair.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on March 30, 2010, 03:16:24 PM
They wouldn't be intact for long.  In the north, at least, they are in a perpetual state of upkeep and repair.

Fine. An older Explorer.

Submariner

Quote from: Minpin on March 30, 2010, 12:10:39 AM
YES! A floating city with a necessary 5000 man crew! Feeding for 5k in a post apoclyptic world would be cake! Not to mention having some way to establish your authority over everyone else. (And let's face it subie, your no james bond)

Who says it has to have 5000 men?  Certainly, it could be run with far less.

Oh, and it's you're, not your, chief.  ;)
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

S204STi

I think he was using the correct form of the word there...

Still, an aircraft carrier would need a crew in order to work properly.  It'd be all about finding the balance of people versus the ability of your agricultural deck and fishing combined to feed them all.

Submariner

Quote from: Rupert on March 30, 2010, 01:30:58 AM
Yes, because you'd be able to get in there, or anywhere else.

The thing about impenetrable fortresses is that they're good at outlasting a siege, but not so good at living in forever. You still have to go out to get supplies, and there is undoubtedly a horde of violent people in front.

A few nukes launched from the mountain to land a mew miles away would take care of that.

Of course, it might complicate the whole leaving issue...

S204STi

That's where Galactica wins.  Just keep jumping from point to point so they can never pin you down.

Submariner

Quote from: R-inge on March 30, 2010, 03:39:38 PM
I think he was using the correct form of the word there...

Still, an aircraft carrier would need a crew in order to work properly.  It'd be all about finding the balance of people versus the ability of your agricultural deck and fishing combined to feed them all.

Your is a form of ownership, whereas you're is an abbreviated you are.

Anyways, the USS Harry Truman has a ship crew (minus the air wing and all of it's staff) of 3200.  Of course, I'm sure that if the situation called for it, the staff could be drastically reduced.  

Then again, I don't know why Minnie's getting technical over the reality of methods of survival in a thread about a hypothetical apocalypse in which options mentioned include space ships from video games, TV shows, and movies.   ;)

S204STi

Oops, missed the last sentence of the first paragraph.

Laconian

Galactica will survive because the Apocalypse will come from computer networks, and Adama doesn't allow networking on his ship. He requires that all data must be transported between computers on punchcards with the corners clipped off.

Rupert

Quote from: Galaxy on March 30, 2010, 02:49:53 AM

But we already are Earth 2. Perhaps Earth 1 has recovered by now.

Maybe. Lemme just put on All Along the Watchtower and see where we end up. Or do I have to be a wreckless undead pilot for that?

Laconian

Quote from: Rupert on March 31, 2010, 12:22:13 AM
Maybe. Lemme just put on All Along the Watchtower and see where we end up. Or do I have to be a wreckless undead pilot for that?
You will also need boobs an a 'tude.

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2010, 12:22:57 AM
You will also need boobs an a 'tude.

I can pull a 'tude, and I think the original Starbuck from the '70s was a dude.

It's the undead part...

Tave

Quote from: Submariner on March 30, 2010, 03:51:29 PM
Your is a form of ownership, whereas you're is an abbreviated you are.

:facepalm:

"Establish your authority" is correct. It is "his" (your) authority.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Tave on March 31, 2010, 07:06:51 AM

Quote from: Minpin on March 30, 2010, 12:10:39 AM

I think maybe, just maybe, Submariner was referring to the "your no james bond" part.  Minpin could also use to capitalize the name.

The bigger  :facepalm: goes to Minpin's use of that picture.

Submariner

Quote from: Tave on March 31, 2010, 07:06:51 AM

I was referring to the "James Bond" quip.  I didn't even notice 'your' was used before that.  

Quote from: R-inge on March 30, 2010, 03:55:43 PM
Oops, missed the last sentence of the first paragraph.

;)

Rupert

BTW, since we were talking about BSG in this thread ( :lol: ), is anyone else watching Caprica?

Just when it started to get good, they stall the rest of the season.

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on April 01, 2010, 01:09:27 AM
BTW, since we were talking about BSG in this thread ( :lol: ), is anyone else watching Caprica?

Just when it started to get good, they stall the rest of the season.

Caprica is great.

However I keep getting a lesbian vibe from Sister Clarice and Lacy Rand.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 01, 2010, 11:57:36 AM

Caprica is great.

However I keep getting a lesbian vibe from Sister Clarice and Lacy Rand.

Them two, and Zoe; all lesbos part of a lesbo sisterhood cult.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)