Your favorite luxury sedan

Started by BENZ BOY15, March 28, 2010, 10:20:28 PM

Colin

If he wants lots and lots of space in the back seat, then he should look at the Skoda Superb!

I'm also a fan of the Citroen C6..... but despite the ambitious pricing of the top spec models, and what the French might like to think about their nation's flagship car, it does not really compete at these exalted levels.

I've seen the new A8 at the Geneva Show, and I have to say that I preferred the styling of the old model. Nothing wrong with the new one, but it looks like change for changes sake, and a bit like an enlarged B8 model A4........... the outgoing S8, though. Fantastico - that wonderful V10 engine under the bonnet, and such restrained styling. I did consider one briefly when I got the S6, as technically I could just about have afforded it on our Car Scheme, but even the S6 is too big for the confined car parks of Britain, so this really would be a challenge at times.

AltinD

Quote from: Colin on March 30, 2010, 08:24:35 AM
If he wants lots and lots of space in the back seat, then he should look at the Skoda Superb! 

Apart everything else: How can the Superb have more space at the back then the Bentley?

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

mojammer

I like a lot of the bigger sedans, but I'm not sure if I will like them when the newer versions come out.  The only exception so far is the E38 740i sport.  I have liked that car a lot since I first started paying attention to cars (about 2000).

Of the current crop though, the Audi S8 is my pick.

sportyaccordy

Weight + performance of a same year S4, double the room & luxury, a quarter of the stigma of say, a $10K S600

Of the current crop, it's gotta be the Jag XJ. All the rest have become oversized caricatures of their former selves. Luxury cyborgs.

pendyman

Quote from: Submariner on March 29, 2010, 10:35:18 AM
A toss up between the XJ and the S-class.

The new 7 is great too.

The Quatroporte just drips with sex.

The Panamera may be ugly, but the interior is fantastic, and who can say no to a sedan that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds?

The A8 looks...like an A4.

The LS will fly you into a barrier at 120MPH, so that's out.  

The DTS blows.

Am I missing any?

Well, there is this:

I?m looking forward to seeing one at the NY Auto Show next week, along with some others, like the CTS Coupe, XJ, and the R8 Spyder. Looks like it might be a pretty good year.

By the way, totally agree on the original A8.

the Teuton

That car starts at $202k including delivery. For that kind of money, I'd rather have a Panamera Turbo and a Corvette.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: Tave on March 29, 2010, 08:21:38 PM
XJ and Quattroporte. Then again I have good taste. :ohyeah:

Yes you do.

Raza

Quote from: AltinD on March 30, 2010, 06:34:47 AM
My boss who is driven on the back of a Bentley Flying Spur told me the other day that after two years is getting bored to it and want to change. He said he has taken a look at the RR Ghost but found the back seat smaller (I don't know if he sat in one or just saw specs).

Can that be right?

Oh, and that was while he was driving my Passat and totally complimenting it :lol:

:lol:

I got a lot of compliments on my Passat (and Jetta, to a lesser extent) from luxury car drivers. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

I used to get allot more for the previous one (B5.5), but that car look-wise was really special. The interiours were out of ordinary and the storm beige metalic paint was perfect for the local weather (sunny).

S204STi

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on March 28, 2010, 10:20:28 PM
Hello,

I was wondering what your favorite luxury sedan is. I'm talking about the big ones too...S, A8, 7...etc.

I love the S class. The outside is great, the inside is great....hell the whole car is amazing. The 7 is great too. However, I HATE, HATE, HATE...the fucking iDrive. I can't figure out how to use it....very confusing. My friend's sister had no clue how to use it.

Anyway, what sedan do you guys like?
:rastaman:

I'm partial to the full-size Audis myself.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on March 31, 2010, 09:41:14 AM
I'm partial to the full-size Audis myself.

And S8 would be nice, come to think of it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AltinD on March 31, 2010, 09:23:07 AM
I used to get allot more for the previous one (B5.5), but that car look-wise was really special. The interiours were out of ordinary and the storm beige metalic paint was perfect for the local weather (sunny).
Yea a friend of mine had one... def felt more special than a Camry. Maybe even more than a same year Maxima. It had a lot of nuisance issues though

Onslaught

AltinD

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 02, 2010, 12:08:25 PM
Yea a friend of mine had one... def felt more special than a Camry. Maybe even more than a same year Maxima.

If you are comparing it with those two then he must have had a slightly more then basic equipped model. I'm talking about receiving compliments from MB S-class, BMW 7 series, Audi A8 and Lexus owners. ;)

2002 model

SVT666

I saw a black Maserati Gran Turismo yesterday in Calgary.  Wow.  Too bad the Quattroporte doesn't look like that.

hotrodalex

Quattroporte

Second choice is either a 7er or S8.

saxonyron

The D3 A8/S8 get my vote.  I agree for the moment with just about everyone else that the new D4 A8 is a styling step backwards.  But I hope to change my mind in NYC this Friday when I see one in  person.  My 2nd place vote would be the 1st time I saw a Jag XJ on the road, it took my breath away.  Seriously.

But as Christian said, there's no bad ride in the bunch.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

The rear tires -- in real life -- are frickin' huge on the Maser. It's so :wub:

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 02, 2010, 12:08:25 PM
Yea a friend of mine had one... def felt more special than a Camry. Maybe even more than a same year Maxima. It had a lot of nuisance issues though

I can count the issues I had with it over four years on one hand (even if you use one finger for each ignition coil that failed), but I know that some people definitely had problems.  But 34K into a nearly a two year relationship with my Jetta, the only thing has gone wrong has been a superficial trunk strut problem, which I think is more of a design fault than a reliability issue.  Knock on...

It's funny that you mention the Maxima as you bar for being special.  I've never driven an older Maxima (but I have driven an I35 and a previous generation, pre-CVT Maxima) and I never found them to be all that special feeling; or any Nissan for that matter.  Perhaps more lively than their Toyota counterparts, but I think I'd have to give the nod to Honda for special feeling Japanese cars.  Mazda too, maybe, but I don't have as much experience with them.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AltinD

Even Honda isn't much different from a Toyota. Mazda yes, they do drive well.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on April 09, 2010, 08:09:40 AM
It's funny that you mention the Maxima as you bar for being special.  I've never driven an older Maxima (but I have driven an I35 and a previous generation, pre-CVT Maxima) and I never found them to be all that special feeling; or any Nissan for that matter.  Perhaps more lively than their Toyota counterparts, but I think I'd have to give the nod to Honda for special feeling Japanese cars.  Mazda too, maybe, but I don't have as much experience with them.

the early 90's Maximas drove very nicely for their time. Back in my college days, I test drove one after driving an E34 5-series, and it basically drove like a FWD version of the Bimmer.

Atomic

i have always loved the s-class. my relatives drive some nice ones - fl, nyc. i am very interested in seeing the new large jaguar in person, but get stoked just admiring them online and in magazines. the new (forthcoming) audi a8 is a looker, but it took me sometime to like it. the bentley continental gt looks far better in person and that interior if absolutely stunning! the rolls-royce ghost is far less ostentatious than the hulking phantom, but even the smaller rolls is in a league all of its own. the bimmer is pretty fine, but i liked the previous model better.

dazzleman

The BMW 7-series Alpina looked pretty sweet at the auto show.  I also like the Audi A6 and A8.  I'm much more a fan of some of the Mercedes convertibles than I am of their sedans, for some reason.  I also liked the look of the new BMW 5-series.  Another favorite of mine is the Infiniti G37, though it's smaller than the other cars mentioned.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on March 28, 2010, 10:20:28 PM
Hello,

I was wondering what your favorite luxury sedan is. I'm talking about the big ones too...S, A8, 7...etc.

I love the S class. The outside is great, the inside is great....hell the whole car is amazing. The 7 is great too. However, I HATE, HATE, HATE...the fucking iDrive. I can't figure out how to use it....very confusing. My friend's sister had no clue how to use it.

Anyway, what sedan do you guys like?
:rastaman:

You find the I-drive confusing?  I find it very easy, actually, and I'm not a computer geek type.  I think the earlier versions were more confusing, but the version in my car is pretty easy and I had no problem adjusting to it.  Your friend's sister must be a ditz.  Is this the same chick who got pulled over with you in the car?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on April 11, 2010, 08:54:10 AM
The BMW 7-series Alpina looked pretty sweet at the auto show.  I also like the Audi A6 and A8.  I'm much more a fan of some of the Mercedes convertibles than I am of their sedans, for some reason.  I also liked the look of the new BMW 5-series.  Another favorite of mine is the Infiniti G37, though it's smaller than the other cars mentioned.

love the shot of the gorgeous blue alpina! that is one hot sedan!

saxonyron

My Bro in Law just bought a 2010 MB E350.  It's real nice at first glance.  Not my favorite design, but it's MB's nicest looking sedan right now.  And I'm with Dave on the MB convertibles.   The E350 convertible at the NYIAS was stunning, especially with the saddle tan leather.  But I'll take mine in dark blue, not black.  I'll have to steal his car for a good shakedown cruise and I'll report back with a review. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SVT_Power

Quote from: saxonyron on April 11, 2010, 11:20:18 PM
My Bro in Law just bought a 2010 MB E350.  It's real nice at first glance.  Not my favorite design, but it's MB's nicest looking sedan right now.  And I'm with Dave on the MB convertibles.   The E350 convertible at the NYIAS was stunning, especially with the saddle tan leather.  But I'll take mine in dark blue, not black.  I'll have to steal his car for a good shakedown cruise and I'll report back with a review.  

Are you gonna be the guilty one in your "what happens if you lend someone your car" stories now?  :devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ChrisV

Of new ones? RR Ghost, Aston Rapide, Jag XJ.

Old ones? Well, you know my choice...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

AltinD

^^ When that car first came out, it was WOW ... WOW ... WOW!