A question about shifting gears...do you have to come to a complete stop?

Started by BENZ BOY15, March 29, 2010, 10:35:09 PM

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 30, 2010, 09:15:32 PM
Well if you manage to ever shift a car to R while driving forward down a steep hill, let me know.  Let me know if it slows you down, too. :ohyeah:
It'll slow the car down all right.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on March 30, 2010, 07:58:35 PM

But that'll tear up the transmission. (Automatic)

Won't the parking pawl eventually break off!? Won't the reverse gear eventually grind into nothingness? (especially since it's to designed to go backwards, not forwards)

Don't most later cars have some sort of failsafe to prevent this from happening? (or wearing the tranny)

It probably tears up the Torque converter first.

Like when your brother stands on the brakes of your mom's car while your other brother smashes the gas.....
Will

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Minpin

I do this benzie. Always have. My parents do it too, and they've never had a failed tranny. I think with today's engineering the damage it does is negligible. True, I am no enginerd, but I am not about to stop doing it.

Hell, with my car, I don't even have to have my foot on the brake to shift from R to D... :huh:
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?