Sweet baby Jesus Sonata!

Started by the Teuton, March 31, 2010, 12:10:27 AM

the Teuton

http://jalopnik.com/5505977/2011-hyundai-sonata-turbo-274-hp-34-mpg-no-manual

The Sonata Turbo will have 274 hp from a 2.0 turbo engine, and it will return 34 mpg.

For reference, the Camry I4 with 179 hp is rated at 22/32, and the V6 Camry with 268 hp is 19/28.

If the Sonata Turbo doesn't lag like a mofo, it should be the best engine in its class. The game has officially been changed.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

What's the city mileage? My experience with the Volvo tells me that stop and go with a turbo sucks (gas)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2010, 12:21:14 AM
What's the city mileage? My experience with the Volvo tells me that stop and go with a turbo sucks (gas)

Only if you need the boost in your stop-and-go -- and I bet the EPA test cycle doesn't demand that.

Raza

Too bad it's so ugly.  And no manual.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21661.msg1299044#msg1299044 date=1270030130
Too bad it's so ugly.  And no manual.

Isn't the manual on CD now, like Chrysler products are moving to?    :huh:    :devil:

the Teuton

Jalopnik took its link down! Ha, I saw something I wasn't supposed to see and they weren't supposed to have posted yet. I r0xx0r!
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Jon?

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

the Teuton

Let them!

Only 649 people in the world posted the link at the time.

2o6

Those are the same Posts from Jalopnik copied and cloned.

They weren't supposed to break information, so they took down the post.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on March 31, 2010, 07:09:34 AM
Those are the same Posts from Jalopnik copied and cloned.

They weren't supposed to break information, so they took down the post.

Keine Scheisse, Sherlock.

CJ

What is it?
2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo

What's special about it?
You know all that talk about a turbocharged inline-4 being able to combine four-cylinder efficiency and V6 power? Well, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo is set to deliver on that promise when it enters the midsize sedan segment starting this year.

At least that's what Hyundai claims. It says the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine in the Hyundai Sonata will deliver 274 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque while returning up to 34 mpg. Not only that, it will produce these numbers using regular fuel and give the Sonata Turbo a power-to-weight ratio of 12.2 pounds/hp, a number that Hyundai notes is better than even that of a Chevrolet Camaro V6.

What's the secret? Two things: direct injection and a twin-scroll turbocharger. Direct injection is already used in several Hyundai products, and its precise fuel metering increases fuel-efficiency even as the cooler intake charge also makes possible a taller compression ratio for more power. In this case, the Sonata's turbocharged engine has a compression ratio of 9.5:1.

Meanwhile the Sonata Turbo's twin-scroll turbocharger contributes to the equation by making possible a broader range of turbocharged boost. As a result, effective boost pressure begins at lower rpm, the air-fuel mixture can be leaner for better fuel-efficiency without compromising engine response, and maximum boost pressure can be higher (17.4 psi in this case). You might recall that BMW is currently in the process of switching its turbocharged six-cylinder engines to a twin-scroll design. Who would have expected that Hyundai would be so close behind?

Hyundai also says its system is unique because the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger are combined into a unique integrated design that reduces cost and improves durability. Hyundai also notes that the turbocharger's wastegate features a controller driven by an electric motor for more accurate control of the boost pressure.

The 2011 Hyundai Sonata will come in SE and Limited trim levels only. Limited models will get special upgrades that include shift paddles on the steering wheel for the automatic transmission, a panorama sunroof, dual exhaust outlets and 18-inch wheels.

Inside Line says: If there's a flaw in Hyundai's strategy, we're having a hard time finding it.

Raza

274bhp turbo 2 liter on regular gas?  Why don't I believe that?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on March 31, 2010, 01:30:38 PM
274bhp turbo 2 liter on regular gas?  Why don't I believe that?

I don't even have read anything and I can tell you that it's the magic of turbo direct-injection.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2010, 01:58:51 PM
I don't even have read anything and I can tell you that it's the magic of turbo direct-injection.

I have a direct injected turbo motor and I'm still required to run premium.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote from: Raza  on March 31, 2010, 02:01:49 PM

hyundai>>vw duh

They need to shove this in the genesis right away

Raza

Quote from: 565 on March 31, 2010, 03:31:30 PM
hyundai>>vw duh

They need to shove this in the genesis right away

I'll believe when:

1.  I see it officially.
2.  There are no issues a few years down the road.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

S204STi

They seem to have near-identical compression ratios (9.5:1 Hyundai, 9.6:1 VW) but maybe VW is just more conservative about their engines, or Hyundai is dumping way more fuel under boost than the VW can, in order to avoid detonation.  Could be a number of factors, but I'll believe it when I see it.  Actually I bet it works a lot like the Genesis Coupe, which only makes full power on 93, and makes progressively less with a lower octane fuel.

MX793

European cars all seemingly "require" premium.  I suspect it's because 87 Octane doesn't exist in Europe (granted, Europe doesn't rate octane the same way we do), so they probably just call for higher octane as a CYA tactic.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Well there are a few less than favorable reasons for that that come to mind...

I agree that the Genesis coupe needs this engine, as well as a decent interior.

the Teuton

A 1.6 liter Mini Cooper that makes 118 hp is required to take premium. Right there, it's a case of premium bequeaths premium. I bet it's the same with a lot of BMW's NA cars, or at least it was before they went all horsepower crazy.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on March 31, 2010, 11:13:28 PM
A 1.6 liter Mini Cooper that makes 118 hp is required to take premium. Right there, it's a case of premium bequeaths premium. I bet it's the same with a lot of BMW's NA cars, or at least it was before they went all horsepower crazy.

No, I think it has to do with the fact that European regular gas is close to our premium gas. The 1.6L Tritec is used in common cars in Europe (Citroens, Peugeots) and this engine isn't sold in a plebian car here.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on April 01, 2010, 06:16:32 AM
No, I think it has to do with the fact that European regular gas is close to our premium gas. The 1.6L Tritec is used in common cars in Europe (Citroens, Peugeots) and this engine isn't sold in a plebian car here.

Actually, it's not.  The way they rate Octane in Europe is different.  We average RON and MON, Europe only uses the RON value (IIRC), which is higher than the MON value by several points and thus higher than our average octane value.  In reality, Euro regular is like 89 octane in the US.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

I finally saw the new Sonata in the metal today.  I'm very underwhelmed.  It's definitely a standout in terms of styling, but that front end really is very garish.  

You see that piece that travels from the end of the headlight to the side view mirror?  That's actually chrome, and it travels all the way back to the back window.  Between that and the grillle, which is far more garish in the metal,  it's like looking at a train wreck.  You can't look away no matter how disturbed you are by it.  From the back all the way to the A-pillar is actually very attractive.  It's too bad, because I really wanted to like it.

hotrodalex

I actually like it better in real life. Still looks horrible, but less so.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on March 31, 2010, 05:58:23 PM
European cars all seemingly "require" premium.  I suspect it's because 87 Octane doesn't exist in Europe (granted, Europe doesn't rate octane the same way we do), so they probably just call for higher octane as a CYA tactic.

Personally, I've never seen a turbo engine take anything but premium.  Are there any out there?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21661.msg1302103#msg1302103 date=1270435409
Personally, I've never seen a turbo engine take anything but premium.  Are there any out there?

The Ecoboosts take regular, I think.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 08:50:18 PM
The Ecoboosts take regular, I think.

That's interesting.  I'm no engineer, but I always thought that the heat created by turbo engines necessitated higher octane gas.  Or something like that.  I could be making that up though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21661.msg1302110#msg1302110 date=1270435898
That's interesting.  I'm no engineer, but I always thought that the heat created by turbo engines necessitated higher octane gas.  Or something like that.  I could be making that up though.

That was true, until they combined it with direct injection.

the Teuton

And with direct injection, they've had to harden the blocks a bit, as per the article on the LaCrosse currently on Autoblog (even though that's not turbo). So the engine should be able to take higher stresses.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on April 04, 2010, 08:51:38 PM
I'm no engineer, but I always thought that the heat created by turbo engines necessitated higher octane gas.  Or something like that.  I could be making that up though.

The turbocharger compresses the intake air, and when you compress air you raise its temperature. The higher temperature air makes the engine more susceptible to detonation, a.k.a. 'pinging', a.k.a. "spark knock". That's when pockets of hot charge (air/fuel mixture) ignite in front of the (spark-plug-induced) combustion wave front and the two (or more) waves interfere with each other.

With technologies like intercooling, computer-controlled distributorless ignition and direct fuel injection it is possible to get a turbocharged engine to run well on 87 octane gasoline.