Another member of the Minor family gets a ticket

Started by Morris Minor, April 01, 2010, 09:02:15 AM

Morris Minor

My son, heh, heh, nailed for doing 40 in a 25 in Annapolis. Now he's researching how he can keep the two points off his license.

Both my daughter & I had tickets last year, this leaves just my wife with a flawless record.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 01, 2010, 09:02:15 AM
Now he's researching how he can keep the two points off his license.

Defensive driving course?  Deferred adjudication?  Flee to Canada?

Tave

How many lashes will he receive from his superiors for that faux pas? :heated: :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 01, 2010, 09:02:15 AM
My son, heh, heh, nailed for doing 40 in a 25 in Annapolis. Now he's researching how he can keep the two points off his license.

King George Street?

TurboDan

ifcar

Colonel Cadillac

By the way, got a warning yesterday. 86 in a 70 zone in Mississippi. Whew, thank god it was
just a warning. He asked me what I thought I was going, and I thought he very well could have been nailed at 100+. Let's put it this way, I got new tires and they are incredible and was flying.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 01, 2010, 03:29:33 PM
By the way, got a warning yesterday. 86 in a 70 zone in Mississippi. Whew, thank god it was
just a warning. He asked me what I thought I was going, and I thought he very well could have been nailed at 100+. Let's put it this way, I got new tires and they are incredible and was flying.

[teuton]

ZOMG YOU'RE RETARDED

[/teuton]

[me]

Well done!

[/me]
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

dazzleman

Andrew, that's a pretty minor ticket.  From what you've described, your son's a bit of a risk taker, so you're lucky it wasn't worse.  Will he get into trouble at the Naval Academy over this?

When it comes to the points, I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland didn't transfer points to Georgia.  Check it out.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Morris Minor

Quote from: dazzleman on April 01, 2010, 04:19:23 PM
Andrew, that's a pretty minor ticket.  From what you've described, your son's a bit of a risk taker, so you're lucky it wasn't worse.  Will he get into trouble at the Naval Academy over this?

When it comes to the points, I wouldn't be surprised if Maryland didn't transfer points to Georgia.  Check it out.

Yes, yes he is, always has been, always will be. My daughter's the same.

USNA don't like any kind of infractions, either civilian or military, but it's so minor I doubt much of anything would happen... should, ahem, the circle of those who need to know ever be widened.

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 01, 2010, 08:52:38 PM
Yes, yes he is, always has been, always will be. My daughter's the same.

USNA don't like any kind of infractions, either civilian or military, but it's so minor I doubt much of anything would happen... should, ahem, the circle of those who need to know ever be widened.

How would they find out?  Is there some type of notification system for USNA students?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

bing_oh

Quote from: TurboDan on April 01, 2010, 02:59:39 PMDoes VA and GA have reciprocity?

Highly unlikely. Georgia is not a member of the Interstate Compact.

Morris Minor

Would you mind explaining reciprocity? I'd been under the impression that an infraction could/would lead to points no matter which state issued the license.

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 03, 2010, 05:59:07 AM
Would you mind explaining reciprocity? I'd been under the impression that an infraction could/would lead to points no matter which state issued the license.

I'll take a stab at it, though the LEOs may know more.

There are two levels of reciprocity.  The first pertains to whether you answer the ticket, and the second pertains to how the home state handles the disposition of a traffic conviction in another state.

Most states belong to a compact where they agree to suspend the licenses of their own drivers who fail to answer tickets for violations in other states.  For example, if you have a New York license and get a speeding ticket in, say, Pennsylvania and just rip it up, Pennsylvania will notify New York and New York will suspend your license.

When it comes to convictions, different states do it differently. New York, for example, will only transfer points for convictions from a couple of Canadian provinces and maybe one state.  I'm not sure why this is so, but there seems to be a higher level of cooperation necessary to transfer points.  If you get a ticket in a state that doesn't transfer points with your own, then the other state will maintain a driver abstract for you, and if you get too many tickets in that state, they will suspend your driving privilege in that state, but it won't necessarily affect your license to drive in your home state or other states.

I hope that makes some sense.  You should check with Georgia DMV to see the states with which they transfer points, and see if Maryland is one of them.

bing_oh

Oops, seems I was wrong. Georgia is a member of the Nonresident Violator Compact, as is Virginia. They used to not be compact members. Looks like Michigan and Wisconsin are the only remaining non-members of either the NRVC or DLC (Drivers License Compact).

As for reciprocity, Dazz pretty much has it right. The points issue isn't really a cooperation thing as much as some states just decided that they don't recognize points from other states, either because doing so is too much of a hassle, they don't agree with the points systems in other states, etc.

BimmerM3

I did some research reciprocity between AL and GA when I got a ticket in Alabama a few years ago. I was having a lot of trouble interpreting what I found on the internet and what laws were current and blah blah blah. I eventually decided that if I had just paid the ticket in Alabama, I probably wouldn't get any points in Georgia, but I went to court and got the ticket dropped anyway.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 03, 2010, 11:50:03 AM
I did some research reciprocity between AL and GA when I got a ticket in Alabama a few years ago. I was having a lot of trouble interpreting what I found on the internet and what laws were current and blah blah blah. I eventually decided that if I had just paid the ticket in Alabama, I probably wouldn't get any points in Georgia, but I went to court and got the ticket dropped anyway.

It's funny how difficult it is to actually find out about this stuff.  The DMV websites contain a bunch of double-talk or nothing at all.  I once called the DMV about the consequences of a ticket I had gotten, and they gave me blatantly wrong information.  The bottom line is that I don't even know if my state transfers points from any other states, and if so, which ones.  It's not a burning issue right now because I don't have any out-of-state tickets at the moment, but if I get one, I'd like to know the effect on my license.  I guess I'll cross that bridge if I ever come to it.

TurboDan

New Jersey is interesting in that they just slap two points for any moving violation in another state regardless of how many points it carries there (with the exception of DUI).

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on April 03, 2010, 01:06:51 PM
New Jersey is interesting in that they just slap two points for any moving violation in another state regardless of how many points it carries there (with the exception of DUI).

Any other state, or only certain ones?

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2010, 03:31:56 PM
Any other state, or only certain ones?

Any state that reports back to NJ. I believe they're a member of both compacts. Now, how much of that info gets back to NJ in practice, I don't know. Some people get tickets in other states and it just never shows up, at least to their knowledge.

Morris Minor

Update:
More than two months have elapsed & he STILL has not received a court date. They definitely have the citation pending, but this is getting silly; he's soon going to be away on training cruises.

dazzleman

Sounds great.  He can play it out until the points will be expired anyway, even if he's convicted.  Some people try to delay their court dates repeatedly to achieve that effect, as a deliberate strategy.  The fact that he's going away on training cruises gives an excuse they can't deny for more delays.

Morris Minor

Quote from: dazzleman on June 05, 2010, 07:08:38 PM
Sounds great.  He can play it out until the points will be expired anyway, even if he's convicted.  Some people try to delay their court dates repeatedly to achieve that effect, as a deliberate strategy.  The fact that he's going away on training cruises gives an excuse they can't deny for more delays.

We'll see. He's not going to around much over the next few weeks, so maybe that's how it wil play out.

My daughter got stopped for speeding last night. She got off without a ticket.

I have obviously done a HORRIBLE job with my kids' drivers education.

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 09, 2010, 12:59:01 PM
We'll see. He's not going to around much over the next few weeks, so maybe that's how it wil play out.

My daughter got stopped for speeding last night. She got off without a ticket.

I have obviously done a HORRIBLE job with my kids' drivers education.

I don't know Andrew.  I think kids are going to do things, no matter how good a job you do with driver's education.  And knowing the right thing to do doesn't mean they'll choose to do it.  Education is one thing; attitude is another.  I wouldn't worry so much about the violations as I would about whether they're safe drivers.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 04, 2010, 08:23:02 AM
Update:
More than two months have elapsed & he STILL has not received a court date. They definitely have the citation pending, but this is getting silly; he's soon going to be away on training cruises.

Is there any kind of limitation on these things, i.e. if you have not heard from the court within X months the case is dropped? He does not want this hanging over his head & a bench warrant issued with no fault in his part.

bing_oh

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 29, 2010, 08:29:50 AMIs there any kind of limitation on these things, i.e. if you have not heard from the court within X months the case is dropped? He does not want this hanging over his head & a bench warrant issued with no fault in his part.

There's a statute of limitations on how long after the fact a charge can be filed (in most cases on non-felonies, it's 6 months). I suppose a lawyer can argue a right to a speedy trial, assuming that a citation isn't a civil action in your state, but that might be a stretch on a ticket.

dazzleman

I think it depends upon the state, and it's probably a period of years, not weeks or months.  I heard it's 3 years in Pennsylvania but I'm not really sure about any other place.  The only way to get the right answer is from a lawyer.

I wouldn't worry too much.  Time is your friend.  The longer they drag it out, the more likely it is to be dropped.  And if your son isn't available when they come back with a date, request a postponement.

J86

Quote from: dazzleman on June 29, 2010, 06:31:52 PM
  The only way to get the right answer is from a lawyer.

This may not be terribly helpful to my chosen profession (hopefully), but one could always read the statute for oneself.... :lol:

dazzleman

First, you'd have to find it.
Second, they're written in such a convoluted way that they're impossible to understand and very easy to misinterpret.

BENZ BOY15

This reminds me. I have to do my traffic school....:lol: