Summer or All season...

Started by cozmik, August 28, 2005, 11:43:46 AM

cozmik

So I am looking for new tires, because I HATE the Kumho Ecsta ASX which I currently have. For the price they aren't horrible, but they scream in the corners, and are scary in the wet. So I have decided to just get rid of them. Right now though, I can't decide between getting all season tires or summer tires. I have a set of winter tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI) that will get me through another season. I just am concerned about how the summers will perform in the fall. If I go all season, them I am pretty much set on the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. But in terms of summer, I can't decide. I have been told the Kumho Ecsta MX is a very good tire. Any suggestions? I am looking at ultra high and max performance tires. Tire size of 225/50 R16.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Run Away

Kumho Ecsta 711s are supposed to be a favourite among auto crossers for their grip and cheap price.

footoflead

QuoteKumho Ecsta 711s are supposed to be a favourite among auto crossers for their grip and cheap price.
Yes they are, I believe my brother has put a set on his MR2,  B) , Azines are cheap and grip ok, but they suck if the road gets wet
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

I've heard pretty good things about Continental ContiExtremeContact all seasons.  VR rated and $102 a piece from the tire rack for your size.  Those are likely what I'll get for my car when the Eagle RS-As that are on it wear out (not a particularly great tire, especially considering the $170 a piece price tag).  Although looking at the Pirellis, they're the same money and the reviews on them seem slightly more positive.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

footoflead

QuoteI've heard pretty good things about Continental ContiExtremeContact all seasons.  VR rated and $102 a piece from the tire rack for your size.  Those are likely what I'll get for my car when the Eagle RS-As that are on it wear out (not a particularly great tire, especially considering the $170 a piece price tag).
Let me guess, they're super high milage, hard as a rock compound, tire

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

MX793

QuoteI've heard pretty good things about Continental ContiExtremeContact all seasons.  VR rated and $102 a piece from the tire rack for your size.  Those are likely what I'll get for my car when the Eagle RS-As that are on it wear out (not a particularly great tire, especially considering the $170 a piece price tag).
Actually, no.  They're listed under the ultra high performance AS tires and reviews are all very positive on how they perform.  The tread wear rating is the same as the Pirelli (though consumer reviews put the Pirelli as having slightly better tread life with an 8.5/10 versus an 8.1/10).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

footoflead

QuoteI've heard pretty good things about Continental ContiExtremeContact all seasons.? VR rated and $102 a piece from the tire rack for your size.? Those are likely what I'll get for my car when the Eagle RS-As that are on it wear out (not a particularly great tire, especially considering the $170 a piece price tag).
Actually, no.  They're listed under the ultra high performance AS tires and reviews are all very positive on how they perform.  The tread wear rating is the same as the Pirelli (though consumer reviews put the Pirelli as having slightly better tread life with an 8.5/10 versus an 8.1/10).
Ok,  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

cozmik

QuoteI've heard pretty good things about Continental ContiExtremeContact all seasons.? VR rated and $102 a piece from the tire rack for your size.? Those are likely what I'll get for my car when the Eagle RS-As that are on it wear out (not a particularly great tire, especially considering the $170 a piece price tag).
I have had the ContiExtremes, they are very nice tires. They handle well, are fairly quiet, and it's near impossible to get them to hydroplane.  :)

Also, on another note, treadwear ratings can't be compared between different brands of tires. They are only good within the same brand.

For the summer "max" performance tires, I am looking at the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, the Kumho Ecsta MX, and the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. Does anyone have any experience? I am kind of leaning towards the Dunlops if I go the summer route.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

bobwill

If you have the money for a good set of summer tires get them.
You have snow tires, do you have a second set of wheels to use in the winter?
If you don't have a set of nice wheels, go ahead and get a good set, and put the winter tires on your current wheels, so that you aren't paying somebody $200 a year to change your tires around.
From what I've read, most summer tires are quite effective in the rain.

MX793

QuoteIf you have the money for a good set of summer tires get them.
If you don't have a set of nice wheels, go ahead and get a good set, and put the winter tires on your current wheels, so that you aren't paying somebody $200 a year to change your tires around.
Geeze, if I made $50 for every tire I swapped on a vehicle, I'd have been making upwards of $500 a day for maybe 5 hours worth of work.  Damn, I should have told my employer that I was off the clock when I was doing tire work and was charging them $50 a tire instead.
Needs more Jiggawatts

footoflead

Geeze, if I made $50 for every tire I swapped on a vehicle, I'd have been making upwards of $500 a day for maybe 5 hours worth of work.  Damn, I should have told my employer that I was off the clock when I was doing tire work and was charging them $50 a tire instead.
<_<    :D  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

bobwill

It's actually $25, considering that's per year.  You have to swap the tires around 2 times.
Atleast that's what you pay around here.
From tirerack's list of recommended installers.
Up to 15" $15.99 Ea, 16-18" $23.99 Ea, 19-22" $26.99 Ea
$33 Ea For MOST (PLEASE Call For Estimate)

MX793

It's actually $25, considering that's per year.  You have to swap the tires around 2 times.
Atleast that's what you pay around here.
From tirerack's list of recommended installers.
$33 Ea For MOST (PLEASE Call For Estimate)
I can't believe they vary the rate based on the rim size.  A 15" tire really isn't any harder to change than a 17".  They only get to be a pain when you get really small sidewalls.  And if the rate goes up with size, then I'd say the 285/75R24.5s that I normally work with are good for $35 a piece.  I can't even use a tire mounting machine, I do it by hand.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Raghavan

Get some really nice summer tires.

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

cozmik

Haven't ordered yet, but that's what I think I am going to get.

Thoughts?

MX793

The only experience I have with Dunlops is with motocross tires.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Champ

i like the pilot series, we have some on the '97 saab.  the viggen has dunlops on but they aren't the ones that you have pictured. let me see if I can find them.  They are ok, a little loud though.  only been using them for 3 days so I can't really make a judgement as of yet.

Champ

looks like i have the Dunlop SP sport 9000.

the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 looks like a very nice tire. just from browsing tirerack and looking at some reviews. plus it looks very sporty.

Minpin

i think i have the eagles..i cant really remember but theyve always been goood tires
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

cozmik

I have purchased the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

I will let everyone know how it turns out. They should hopefully be in tomorrow.  :)

(lord I spent too much money on tires  :ph34r:  )

Champ

Are these in / mounted yet?  Initial impressions?

cozmik

They are on!  :)

Initial impressions: WOW!

I am really pretty impressed by these tires. They have totally changed the character of the car. It is much sportier feeling now. It's just flows around corners, the different is substantial. They are very quiet at well. High speed stability is great. The response is great, they have great feel. They communicate the road surface without it being harsh. Everything is just much better. Corners are much more stable, and they tires just kind of beg you to push harder. I haven't got them to lose their grip yet, they are very predictable and hold on like there is no tomorrow. They don't make a peep in fast corners. It hasn't rained yet though, so I haven't been able to try them out in the wet.

B)  :rockon:  :)

Raza

QuoteI have purchased the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

I will let everyone know how it turns out. They should hopefully be in tomorrow.  :)

(lord I spent too much money on tires  :ph34r:  )
My last set was incredibly expensive, 225/50/16H Michelin Pilots for my E320.  They were worth every penny (though even more, since I got them half off).  My brother  replaced them with 215/55/16 Potenzas which he is very happy with.  Right now I just put a set of Bridgestone Potenzas (195/65/15) on my Passat's fronts, leaving my shitty Michelin MXV4s at the rear.  The car is much better now on the Potenzas.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteThey are on!  :)

I am really pretty impressed by these tires. They have totally changed the character of the car. It is much sportier feeling now. It's just flows around corners, the different is substantial. They are very quiet at well. High speed stability is great. The response is great, they have great feel. They communicate the road surface without it being harsh. Everything is just much better. Corners are much more stable, and they tires just kind of beg you to push harder. I haven't got them to lose their grip yet, they are very predictable and hold on like there is no tomorrow. They don't make a peep in fast corners. It hasn't rained yet though, so I haven't been able to try them out in the wet.

B)  :rockon:  :)
ARe they all seasons or summers?

cozmik

QuoteThey are on!  :)

B)  :rockon:  :)
ARe they all seasons or summers?
Summer.

http://www.dunloptire.com/catalog/sportMaxx.html

They even have a screen saver for the SP Sport Maxx.  :praise:

http://www.dunloptire.com/fun/downloads_sc.html

MSU2001LA

QuoteI have purchased the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

I will let everyone know how it turns out. They should hopefully be in tomorrow.  :)

(lord I spent too much money on tires  :ph34r:  )
My last set was incredibly expensive, 225/50/16H Michelin Pilots for my E320.  They were worth every penny (though even more, since I got them half off).  My brother  replaced them with 215/55/16 Potenzas which he is very happy with.  Right now I just put a set of Bridgestone Potenzas (195/65/15) on my Passat's fronts, leaving my shitty Michelin MXV4s at the rear.  The car is much better now on the Potenzas.
The thing about Potenza's is, some are great and some are crap.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE92 is standard on Subaru's, and everyone complains about them profusely.  I haven't noticed them to be particularly bad myself, but in comparison to the Firestones that were stock on the Civic, anything seems better.

Now, I just got some new Potenza G009's for the Civic, and those tires get pretty good reviews on tirerack's website... so hopefully they're part of the "good" Potenza bunch.

:)  
If you get confused, listen to the music play