Sonoma

Started by Eye of the Tiger, April 04, 2010, 11:54:19 AM

Eye of the Tiger

My new beater truck.

1996 GMC Sonoma Xtracab 2wd 2.2L OHV I-4 4L60E 4spd automagic 260k for $995.
It used to be a fleet vehicle, so you know it was maintained well enough for the first 200k miles or whatever.
Everything works, and it actually has a good state inspection sticker until next winter.
The PO had the head rebuilt last year and seems to have kept it well-maintained.
The manual says it can tow 2000lbs, versus 6000 for the 4.3L. Bullshit. I will tow at least 3000 with it. It has 4.10 gears in the rear end, so I'll just have to crawl up hills in first gear, no big deal. Oh, and it has alloys! Sweet. Beetah truck!

Don't ask, don't tell.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

so how many pages will this thread get to?

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

GoCougs

Will it burnout/power brake?

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

My only experiences with the Sonoma were colored by the fact that it was the truck you were stuck with if you came to work too late to grab dibs on the F-150s or F-350s.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on April 04, 2010, 12:42:16 PM
My only experiences with the Sonoma were colored by the fact that it was the truck you were stuck with if you came to work too late to grab dibs on the F-150s or F-350s.

But it rides so much nicer than those big honkin heavy duty trux. It's the Cadillac of small pickups.

3.0L V6

This will probably be a predictable response, but it needs a built Chevy 350 and a new rear end.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on April 04, 2010, 12:46:48 PM
This will probably be a predictable response, but it needs a built Chevy 350 and a new rear end.

But then it would be a racin truck and not a beater truck  :(

the Teuton

Needs moar powar.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 01:25:14 PM
Needs moar powar.

GTFO. It's faster than ur plastiquewagen.

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 01:29:00 PM
GTFO. It's faster than ur plastiquewagen.

We'll see next week, mofo.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on April 04, 2010, 01:34:41 PM
We'll see next week, mofo.

It's this week. Don't wuss out.

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 04, 2010, 01:43:04 PM
It's this week. Don't wuss out.

For NY strip steak, I'll be there. Bring a camera; mine sucks.

Submariner

Your truckz hawt.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

I'm really happy for me, and I'mma let me finish, but Swift is the one of the greatest trucks of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Catman

Eye of the Tiger

the Teuton

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

But the Rodeo?!!?!?!?!?

Ah, this is pretty sweet, too.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

If I did anything special to it, perhaps a locking rear diff. They go for about $400, and are easy to install. 2wd pickups suck for getting stuck, even with the smoothness of an automagic.

2o6

I've always admired these S-10/Sonomas.

SVT_Power

I rode in a 5 speed one last week. It was red just like yours too. Oh man that thing was slow. But it did have a shift light though  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 04, 2010, 06:55:40 PM
I rode in a 5 speed one last week. It was red just like yours too. Oh man that thing was slow. But it did have a shift light though  :lol:

Not slow. Trucky.

the Teuton