Parents want a new car!

Started by SVT_Power, April 20, 2010, 07:53:33 PM

SVT_Power

We've been tinkering with this idea for the last couple of weeks and my dad's coming later this week and he might pull the trigger while he's here for a week and a half.

Requirements:

- $35k US cap (30k is probably the goal though)
- Not Japanese
- 4 door

The leader as of yesterday (before we found out we basically can't import it into Canada) was the Genesis. So you get the basic idea of what we're looking for. A comfy sedan, luxo would be nice.

We've been thinking about anything from a Sonata to a Taurus to the Genesis. So we're kind of open to any kind of suggestions.

Let's hear your suggestions.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

I know I posted this in the mainstreamers section, but my parents are also considering crossovers but nothing big I think. My mom actually really likes the GLK.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

CALL_911

If it's used, I'll put my vote in for a CPO 528i. Don't let that 230 hp figure fool you, they're plenty quick and fun to drive as well.

Or maybe a CPO A6/new A4?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

They won't buy a Japanese car but they'll buy a Korean car?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: MX793 on April 20, 2010, 07:56:44 PM
They won't buy a Japanese car but they'll buy a Korean car?

Psst. I'm Korean.

giant_mtb

SVT_Power

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 20, 2010, 07:56:28 PM
If it's used, I'll put my vote in for a CPO 528i. Don't let that 230 hp figure fool you, they're plenty quick and fun to drive as well.

Or maybe a CPO A6/new A4?

See the thing is, my mom has this irrational dislike for used cars (even slightly). But if we can put her in a CPO 5er/A6, I'm sure she'll change her tune...  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

SVT_Power

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 20, 2010, 07:59:32 PM
Whatevers. Gensssisssiisisisiiss V8. The end.

That Genesis V8 is expensive mang.

ifcar

Drive the Azera when you drive the Genesis. I don't know Canadian prices, but with discounts they're very strong bargains here -- particularly with a 2011 facelift due fairly soon.

The Genesis is better, sure, but the Azera falls easily into your price range and it's much roomier and more luxurious than the Sonata.

SVT_Power

Quote from: ifcar on April 20, 2010, 08:02:27 PM
Drive the Azera when you drive the Genesis. I don't know Canadian prices, but with discounts they're very strong bargains here -- particularly with a 2011 facelift due fairly soon.

The Genesis is better, sure, but the Azera falls easily into your price range and it's much roomier and more luxurious than the Sonata.

Odd thing, they've dropped the Azera for the Canadian market.

ifcar

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 08:03:44 PM
Odd thing, they've dropped the Azera for the Canadian market.

Not that odd, I guess -- it barely sells here. Too bad though.

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

BimmerM3

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 20, 2010, 07:55:15 PM
I know I posted this in the mainstreamers section, but my parents are also considering crossovers but nothing big I think. My mom actually really likes the GLK.

Sorento? Tiguan?

MX793

Buick Lacrosse (or whatever they call it in Canadia)?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on April 20, 2010, 08:20:30 PM

Lacrosse. The Allure name was dropped.

SVT_Power

I was just talking to my mom about the whole CPO deal, and when I told her the warranties get extended to 160k kms she seemed interested in going that route as well now.

I found a '07 CPO 525i with 17k miles for $38k CDN. I'm sure I could get her to at least try this one.

Now car shopping's getting more fun   :devil:

SVT_Power

Quote from: MX793 on April 20, 2010, 08:20:30 PM

I sat in one of these and I was rather impressed by the interior. That'll remain in the running. I can't stand the Malibu's interior though. It looks good in pictures but it's not that great in person IMO.

68_427

Was the G8 sold up there?

Or Passat CC
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on April 20, 2010, 08:35:51 PM
Was the G8 sold up there?

Or Passat CC

Yep the G8 was.

The Passat CC was the leader before the Genesis actually.

68_427

I like the Passat better.  But I haven't driven either and I'm not your parents.. The interior of the Genesis feels and looks nice but the leather smells recycled... unlike the VW.

(Does VW put some sort of scent in their cars because because I know people with MK IV jettas and they smell great to this day?)
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

You ever sit in the CC? I adjusted the seat to where I felt comfortable, and when I tried to get out I banged my head on the roof

SVT666

68_427

Yeah I have.. I bang my head getting out of way too many cars.  I think it's just because I don't pay attention.  I understand if your parents find that a problem though.  It's pretty low to the ground too.

How long will your parents keep the car?  If they plan on keeping it for a long time they might want to look at higher riding cars like the Taurus/MKS etc.

They might be able to get into a Taurus Limited AWD for $35K.
'racecar is die'
no

SVT_Power

Quote from: 68_427 on April 20, 2010, 08:52:47 PM
Yeah I have.. I bang my head getting out of way too many cars.  I think it's just because I don't pay attention.  I understand if your parents find that a problem though.  It's pretty low to the ground too.

How long will your parents keep the car?  If they plan on keeping it for a long time they might want to look at higher riding cars like the Taurus/MKS etc.

The future of our next car is really up in the air.

My mom is considering going back into Korea after my brother finishes HS and goes off to college (2 years from now). Or she may stay. But if she does go, that car is gonna be passed to either my brother or I, sold, or taken into Korea (but I doubt she'll go through that trouble). But considering my brother is just gonna be 18 by then, there's no way I'm gonna let him play the "ooh look at me I have a fancy car from my parents and I'm a douchebag!" card. So I think ultimately it's just gonna become if I want to keep it, then I can or we'll sell it.

PS. I didn't say that to offend any of our resident rich kids (or kids with rich parents), but that's just how I see it.

68_427

So you want something cool and fast?  :D

Fusion Sport AWD
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Wait, comfy+luxo?

C-Class anyone?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi