Will you ever buy a Toyota?

Started by BENZ BOY15, April 26, 2010, 07:29:33 PM

BENZ BOY15

The whole Toyota fiasco really shot Toyota's image in my opinion. I love some of their older cars and trucks....like the 4Runner, the older GS430s...and I love this:

or this:

Their quality has gone downhill. You can feel it in their new cars....the interior quality just doesn't match Honda...or even Chevy or Ford, two brands that have gotten a lot better in recent years.

I don't think I would buy a new Toyota or Lexus. If I have a ton of money one day, I want a twin-turbo Supra with the open top.

What are your thoughts on Toyota?

giant_mtb

Don't think I would've ever bought one anyway  And I certainly won't ever be buying a GM, either.

CALL_911

I probably wouldn't have bought one anyway, with the exceptions of the MR2, Supra, Celica (at least the GT-S), Tacoma, 4Runner, LC and FJ Cruiser.

That said, I'd totally buy a 4Runner Trail, FJ Cruiser or a Tacoma.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

This thread is ignorant.
A poor attempt by the troll to actually discuss the topic of the forum.
Bullshit; I'm calling it.
IBTL.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BENZ BOY15

Oh fuck you. It's a legitimate thread and if you don't like it, then go create your own 'real' topic. I know you hate me and I really don't know what is bothering you in your life, but you're the biggest whiny, negative, depressed bitch on Carspin.

So you can fuck off and create a cool thread on your own.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 26, 2010, 07:36:37 PM
Oh fuck you. It's a legitimate thread and if you don't like it, then go create your own 'real' topic. I know you hate me and I really don't know what is bothering you in your life, but you're the biggest whiny, negative, depressed bitch on Carspin.

Thanks.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 26, 2010, 07:36:37 PM

Dude, Nick is like the most sarcastic, laid back, funny bitch on Carspin.  Where've you been? :lol:

dazzleman

I wouldn't not buy a Toyota because of the recent publicity.  I know how these things sometimes are manufactured and then snowball out of control.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 26, 2010, 07:39:44 PM
Dude, Nick is like the most sarcastic, laid back, funny bitch on Carspin.  Where've you been? :lol:

I'm not so sure about that.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 26, 2010, 07:39:44 PM

Are you kidding? That's a good one.

ifcar

Considering that in five years nearly every Toyota will have been redesigned into a form that we can't yet speculate on, it would be ridiculous to say "never."

BimmerM3

I don't think I'd buy any of the current models, but that has nothing to do with the accelerator issues.

dazzleman

Quote from: BimmerM3 on April 26, 2010, 08:00:26 PM
I don't think I'd buy any of the current models, but that has nothing to do with the accelerator issues.
:hesaid:

I remember the whole Audi acceleration drama.  I don't think it was ever true.  This may not be either.  I'm extremely skeptical of media hype.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

3.0L V6

No model of Toyota really grabs my attention anymore - they do nothing better, nor look better or offer any more value than many other models from competing manufacturers. Their best models are their trucks, and I don't have any interest in purchasing a truck.

I'd consider a Lexus (maybe an IS or a GS), but even that's unlikely to be a real purchase 'cause I'm not in a financial situation to be buying a luxury car right now.

Edit: I won't say I'd never buy a Toyota - but am just commenting upon their current lineup.

GoCougs

I don't agree with statement regarding lesser quality and the like, especially WRT the domestics.

To me Toyota seems to have gotten a bit decadent with there designs; bigger, bloated, and a bit too, I dunno, "Detroitish" if you will. To a lesser extent this IMO has happened to Honda, exceedingly illustrated by the over-wrought attempt at butching up the second-gen Pilot.

About the only models I'd buy now are the Tacoma and maybe the 4Runner. I'd contemplate the Venza if it was available with V6 + M/T.

MaxPower

I'd buy a Tacoma or 4Runner tomorrow. The cars didnt interest me but the future FT 86 looks neat.

CALL_911

Quote from: MaxPower on April 26, 2010, 08:16:23 PM
I'd buy a Tacoma or 4Runner tomorrow. The cars didnt interest me but the future FT 86 looks neat.

Thing is, Toyota pretty much admitted that it will be more expensive and appeal to a different market (or so I read on Jalopnik). Basically, it looks like a Solara with RWD.

I hate the Solara, but am I the only one who likes that name?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

You know, I think I'd buy a Camry identical to ours, except with ABS and 10 years newer.

Cookie Monster

I would still get an FJ Cruiser or Tacoma and the upcoming FT86 looks awesome, so yes, I'd buy a Toyota.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Modern Toyotas are painfully boring, and without the reliability offer absolutely nothing over their competition. There was a time when Toyotas were, along with reliable, incredibly over-engineered and down right cool in some cases. I still have fond memories of my dad's Camry All-Trac, with the low-diff button on the center console. And now they are still selling Corollas with a 4 speed automatic transmission. I think even Hyundai has moved to a CVT or 5AT or w/e.

dazzleman

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2010, 08:27:13 PM
Modern Toyotas are painfully boring, and without the reliability offer absolutely nothing over their competition. There was a time when Toyotas were, along with reliable, incredibly over-engineered and down right cool in some cases. I still have fond memories of my dad's Camry All-Trac, with the low-diff button on the center console. And now they are still selling Corollas with a 4 speed automatic transmission. I think even Hyundai has moved to a CVT or 5AT or w/e.

What you're saying about Toyota could probably be said about Honda too as well as most Nissans.  The Japanese auto manufacturers have really allowed their demographics to age.  They seem to be going down the same path Detroit did.

BENZ BOY15

I like the way Hondas drive better. Toyotas just seem to float along, Hondas are more fun to drive. I love my 2007 Accord SE, it's been flawless and it saved me from serious injury and I am forever thankful for all the safety crap they have in it. I also really like the new Accord.

dazzleman

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on April 26, 2010, 08:29:56 PM
I like the way Hondas drive better. Toyotas just seem to float along, Hondas are more fun to drive. I love my 2007 Accord SE, it's been flawless and it saved me from serious injury and I am forever thankful for all the safety crap they have in it. I also really like the new Accord.

Maybe, but the Accord is getting the old, staid boring reputation almost to the same extent as the Camry.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on April 26, 2010, 08:30:56 PM
Maybe, but the Accord is getting the old, staid boring reputation almost to the same extent as the Camry.

Hell, I think the Camry looks a lot better than the Accord.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

J86

If I was to buy a new car right now it'd be a Tacoma, hands down.

BimmerM3

I actually rather like the styling of the new Accord, particularly in black.

S204STi

I would buy a current Tacoma or 4Runner, but that's not just because those two models aren't impacted by the accelerator recall; I just find the rest of their lineup undesirable for one reason or another.

The Pirate

Yeah, put me in with the Tacoma and 4Runner camp. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Onslaught

My brother has an original Tundra and it's been flawless. Not one part needed other than the normal stuff like filters and stuff.
My aunt has a 4Runner that's been just as good and my Grandmothers Camry has been trouble free. So would I tell people to buy
one? Yes
Would I buy one? Only thing they make I'd want is the Tacoma. And If I was to buy a truck then it would be a Toyota.

2o6

It's not because of the recall I wouldn't buy one. It's because the cars are impressively bland and boring.