Canadian Police Pull Over Entire MINI Convoy

Started by Rich, April 29, 2010, 11:26:36 AM

Rich

QuoteIt?s a complex story but the long and short of it is that the local Ontario MINI Club has a spring a fall charity rally around a road called the ?Rattler?. Apparently as is customary in the area, the club let the police know that there would be a large group of MINI?s driving the road as part of a charity event. Apparently the police (known locally as the OPP) took it upon themselves to not only use the opportunity as a speed trap but they also notified the local television channel to make sure it was fully covered in the media.

So with the MINI club having notified the OPP of the charity event cruise, the route, the timings and the number involved, the police were ready with all the information they needed to execute one of the most unnecessary stings we?ve ever heard of.

Here?s an except from thegarageblog about what transpired:

When the convoy approached the Memorial Avenue junction with Highway 11 the convoy noticed flashing blue and red lights approaching from the right and naturally assumed that it was emergency vehicles responding to an accident. They were totally surprised to realise that they were the focus of the OPP?s attention. Some pulled to the left to allow the emergency vehicles to merge onto the highway; some had to brake hard to avoid hitting the car in front and those in the front, aware of the reality pulled over immediately closely followed by OPP cruisers.

But perhaps worse was the story that the media then ran with. The video indicated that multiple cars were impounded and those who had children with them had Children?s Aid (the Canadian Child after Dept) notified.

You can read more over at thegarageblog in part 1 and part 2 of their coverage.

You can also see the local TV coverage here (click on the monday the 26th? on the side and its the first news story).
http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/04/29/canadian-police-pull-over-entire-mini-convoy/#more-11735

Thoughts?

From one of the drivers:
QuoteXiek Apr 29th, 2010 Link
We were driving over the posted limit which is 90 km, my speedo never went above 120, they gave 3 of us in that group a ticket for 123, and 1 lone mini 15 earlier 124. We were getting passed by a number of cars, none of which were pulled over when we arrived at the pull over point.

I believe that the local news has since removed that news story from their website.

We were not travelling at 50km over the posted limit, which, for those of you not familiar with Ontario Traffic Law. Is an immediate roadside seizure of the vehicle for 7 days, no matter who owns it, and up to $10,000 in fines. It is considered street racing. I am given the situation, that since there were 14 of us, that they did not try and slap a street racing ticket on us. Probably because they knew that that would not stick and we would for sure fight that one.

I am fighting it myself. As again, I do not believe that I was travelling 123 on that section, I live near there, and know that it is a speed trap, it?s down the street from the HeadQuarters of the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police).

They were out to get us, as we encountered several other OPP on the rest of our cruise. They were strategically placed on our route. I guess you could argue that those are their normal radar spots, but all of them, on our route, during those times. I did not see one single on my way home.

They even three times drove through the parking lot where we stopped for lunch. I can argue that that is not their normal U-Turn location to turn around in.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

I would say something, but I'd probably get banned. FUCKthe Mini terrorists. I feel safe now, thanks to thePOLICE
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Lame.  They try to be courteous and make sure they know what's going on and the jerks just turn around and nail 'em? 

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

I think it would have been fair if there had been previous run ins between this MINI club and the PD...

But, if that isn't the case, then the PD should have given the MINI club a heads up about the operation, just as the MINI club gave the PD a heads up about their trip

VTEC_Inside

I can't say I'm really surprised.

They've setup shop quite regularly on the road leading to the "local" racetrack. If its an import weekend event you can almost guarantee they will be there.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

SVT_Power

interesting. I didn't know clubs let anybody know in advance that they'd be driving through somewhere.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

Seen plenty of enthusiast convoys and you'll not convince me for a second that a least of few were screwing around with excessive speed and the like.

Also not sure why such convoy should be given a pass even if they notified local LE in advance. They should be subject to traffic enforcement same as the rest of us.

It is a bit unfortunate to see LE resources used to such a degree for such a purpose but I have no sympathy for someone getting popped doing 123 in a 90.

Minpin

They were going 20 over, what do you expect? Home boy is talking about fighting his ticket? Based on what grounds? Pay the thing and move on.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on April 29, 2010, 02:22:36 PM
Seen plenty of enthusiast convoys and you'll not convince me for a second that a least of few were screwing around with excessive speed and the like.

Also not sure why such convoy should be given a pass even if they notified local LE in advance. They should be subject to traffic enforcement same as the rest of us.

It is a bit unfortunate to see LE resources used to such a degree for such a purpose but I have no sympathy for someone getting popped doing 123 in a 90.

They weren't subject to the same enforcement; per his response, they were targeted while others were let go.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

I have to agree with cougs and enthusiast convoys always flirting with speeding.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT666

If the OPP Police Chief had his way they would nail you for doing 0.1 km/h over the limit.  He's notorious for begging the Ontario Government to pass stricter and stricter legislation.  One of the more infamous ones is being able to charge a driver for dangerous driving if they hit black ice and slide off the road.

SVT_Power

Pancor

You know what, I was working that day, driving a rig south from Bracebridge to Barrie.  I passed that very spot, (before or after the minis, I'm not sure) and the cops were pulling over all sorts of cars, not just minis.   Orillia (where this incident occurred)  is the site of OPP head office, and Highway 11 with its 90 km/h limit from Barrie to Orillia is a hot spot for speed radar.   I find it hard to believe that the police would send this many cars and men out because they knew a frigging convoy of minis was heading through town...., but oh well!

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on April 29, 2010, 03:03:51 PM
They weren't subject to the same enforcement; per his response, they were targeted while others were let go.

He also said he wasn't doing 123, the speed at which he was nailed...

The Pirate

Ninety km/h is 56 mph and 120 km/h is 75 mph.  Driver admitted that he did go 120 km/h in his post, and that's a speeding ticket that will stand anywhere.

Per our posters who are familiar with the area, that road is a known speed enforcement area.  Tough break, but nothing seems illegal there.  Were the police actively looking for the Mini convoy?  Perhaps.  Were the Mini drivers speeding of their own choice?  Yes.

I'm no supporter of speed enforcement for revenue generation or artificially low limits (may or may not be the case here), but we all know the terms of the game when we get our driver license.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

dazzleman

Quote from: The Pirate on April 29, 2010, 07:47:40 PM
Ninety km/h is 56 mph and 120 km/h is 75 mph.  Driver admitted that he did go 120 km/h in his post, and that's a speeding ticket that will stand anywhere.

Per our posters who are familiar with the area, that road is a known speed enforcement area.  Tough break, but nothing seems amiss there.  Were the police actively looking for the Mini convoy?  Perhaps.  Were the Mini drivers speeding of their own choice?  Yes.

I'm no supporter of speed enforcement for revenue generation or artificially low limits (may or may not be the case here), but we all know the terms of the game when we get our driver license.

I agree.  You play, you pay.  Sooner or later.  From a pure enjoyment perspective, speeding is a great bargain.  No sense getting your panties all in a bunch that one time you have to pay, when you think about the 999 other times you didn't.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

rohan

Quote from: Raza  on April 29, 2010, 03:03:51 PM

Because ppl who get tickets and post about it on the internet are usually being 100% truthful and accurate.  I see your point.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: SVT666 on April 29, 2010, 04:18:09 PM
If the OPP Police Chief had his way they would nail you for doing 0.1 km/h over the limit.  He's notorious for begging the Ontario Government to pass stricter and stricter legislation.  One of the more infamous ones is being able to charge a driver for dangerous driving if they hit black ice and slide off the road.
Fail to Maintain Control Over a Motor Vehicle.   We have that slide off law here.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

bing_oh

Quote from: rohan on April 29, 2010, 08:04:48 PMBecause ppl who get tickets and post about it on the internet are usually being 100% truthful and accurate.  I see your point.

And, of course, those same people are always aware of exactly what other motorists around them are doing when they get clocked and what the officer has observed. Naturally!

Quote from: rohan on April 29, 2010, 08:05:46 PMFail to Maintain Control Over a Motor Vehicle.   We have that slide off law here.

Same here. Pretty common law, actually. Either that or speed in excess for road conditions.

Rich

wat

I can't even walk on black ice, how do you expect us to keep control on that which is sometimes something you can't even see :lol:

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on April 29, 2010, 06:39:53 PM

But he did say he was doing 120- I sure hope he brings that to the magistrate's attention.

~Chief Seattle

SVT_Power

I haven't really heard of this law that says "well even if you screw up on something that you can't know you're on until it's too damn late, fuck you", but it seems like something officers really shouldn't give out. And if they do, courts shouldn't try to get you on it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: rohan on April 29, 2010, 08:39:31 PM
But he did say he was doing 120- I sure hope he brings that to the magistrate's attention.

The speed of the ticket cannot be changed in court here. It's either they book you for the ticket, or you get off.

GoCougs

Yeah, crashing because of black ice does warrant a ticket; punishing for a crash makes a heckuva lot more sense than punishing for what some may think leads to a crash.

rohan

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 29, 2010, 08:36:48 PM
wat

I can't even walk on black ice, how do you expect us to keep control on that which is sometimes something you can't even see :lol:
We also have speed to fast for conditions but the black ice thing is because the leaving the traveled portion of the highway (all roads here are called highway in the MVC) which is by definition a crash (except with intent to leave the road for drives and fields ect.) and is prima facia evidence of FMCOV.  Not saying it gets written alot and it probably doesnt but we have it here.

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on April 29, 2010, 06:39:53 PM

I almost believe him, because I got "nailed" at 85 for my last ticket, and I know I wasn't going that fast. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

rohan

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 29, 2010, 08:40:34 PM
The speed of the ticket cannot be changed in court here. It's either they book you for the ticket, or you get off.
I have a hard time believing that ( not saying it's not true) but I'ld bet a nickle the magistrate can change the ticket if he wants.  My point was tho that if he admits to 120 then the 123 ticket is extremely reasonable and will likely be upheld.

~Chief Seattle

Raza

Quote from: rohan on April 29, 2010, 08:04:48 PM
Because ppl who get tickets and post about it on the internet are usually being 100% truthful and accurate.  I see your point.

I said per his response...jeez, get your tongue out of every cop's asshole for a minute.  Besides, it's Canadian swine, you don't have to defend them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

rohan

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 29, 2010, 08:39:53 PM
I haven't really heard of this law that says "well even if you screw up on something that you can't know you're on until it's too damn late, fuck you", but it seems like something officers really shouldn't give out. And if they do, courts shouldn't try to get you on it.
The point of the law is to keep drivers responsible for their vehicle at all times.  You crash there's about 100% chance there's a reason for it- either someone did somthing stupid and ran into you- you did something stupid and bent your whip- act of god.  slide offs are almost always the drivers fault.  Any of these can happen almost instantly without much warning- white outs- fog outs-  downpours- damaging hail.  Slide off because of these and you'll likely not get a biscuit.

~Chief Seattle