2007 Mazda CX-7 Nears Production

Started by BMWDave, August 30, 2005, 06:11:59 AM

BMWDave

2007 Mazda CX-7 Nears Production
By: Phil Lienert

Date Posted 08-29-2005

These are the latest pictures of the 2007 Mazda CX-7 crossover vehicle, caught out in the open while testing in Death Valley, California. The CX-7 will be joining Mazda's lineup toward the end of 2006 as the company's first true crossover vehicle, slotting just above the Mazda Tribute. The CX-7 is the production version of the Mazda MX-Crossport concept which debuted at the 2005 Detroit Auto Show.

In terms of size, the 2007 CX-7 will be considerably larger than the Mazda Tribute and more luxurious to boot. It will be built on the Mazda 6 platform, which it will share with other such crossovers as the Lincoln Aviator and the upcoming Ford Edge. The Mazda 6 platform will allow the CX-7 to have the capability of both front- and all-wheel drive.

Some rumors have suggested that the CX-7 will be powered by a 2.3-liter turbo engine, but the dual exhaust pipes on the prototype would seem to indicate at least a V6 under the hood. We suspect that it will use the same 3.0-liter engine used in the Mazda 6 sedan, although more power might be needed to move a vehicle of this size.

It's likely that at least this first generation of the CX-7 will be built in Japan in quantities of about 30,000-40,000 a year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

Why dual exhaust "indicates V6" I'm not quite sure, but this looks like it will be a great car (I hope). Nissan should be worried.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

It looks very similar to the concept, and overall, I like the styling a lot.

2007 Honda S2000

bobwill

QuoteWhy dual exhaust "indicates V6" I'm not quite sure, but this looks like it will be a great car (I hope). Nissan should be worried.
Well, if you have an inline engine, what's the point of having two exhaust pipes.  You would start with one pipe naturally, and then split it off into two.  Which is at best pointless, and it would probably introduce more backpressure.
A V engine, as it has two banks of cylinders would naturally start with two sets of exhaust pipes.  If the vehicle only has a single exhaust pipe in the back that just means that the two pipes were merged into one, and routed through a single muffler.

BMWDave

QuoteWhy dual exhaust "indicates V6" I'm not quite sure, but this looks like it will be a great car (I hope). Nissan should be worried.
Well, if you have an inline engine, what's the point of having two exhaust pipes.  You would start with one pipe naturally, and then split it off into two.  Which is at best pointless, and it would probably introduce more backpressure.
A V engine, as it has two banks of cylinders would naturally start with two sets of exhaust pipes.  If the vehicle only has a single exhaust pipe in the back that just means that the two pipes were merged into one, and routed through a single muffler.
I think the new Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder has dual pipes, though I am not 100% sure.  I know the V6 has dual pipes though.

2007 Honda S2000

bobwill

I think the new Hyundai Sonata 4 cylinder has dual pipes, though I am not 100% sure.  I know the V6 has dual pipes though.
It's one of those things where just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. :) ;)

BMWDave

It's one of those things where just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. :) ;)
Yup, I completely agree with you.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

I'm not sure, but i don't think our accord has a true dual exhaust setup. i'd havte to look...

ifcar

If the 4-cylinder Sonata has dual exhaust, it's probably just because they didn't want to build different bumpers.  

MX793

Even many (I'd wager most) V engines with two exhaust outlets don't truly have dual exhausts.  The 350Z, F-bodies, Accord V6, and Mazda6 V6 all have faux dual exhausts where they combine the exhaust gasses from the two banks of the engine to a single pipe and then split it again before the outlets.  However, the GTO (even the 5.7L version) does have true dual exhausts, despite the fact that both pipe outlets are on the same side of the car on the older 5.7L models.  As I understand it, though, X and H pipes actually benefit you more performance wise than having a seperate exhaust for each cylinder bank.

Furthermore, there are plenty of 4 cylinder or inline engined cars with dual exhaust outlets.  Dodge Neon SRT4 and R/T, BMW M3 (this one might have been actually a true dual setup), Hyundai Tiburon, Mazda6i, Audi A4 1.8T, Honda S2000, etc....
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

bobwill

QuoteIf the 4-cylinder Sonata has dual exhaust, it's probably just because they didn't want to build different bumpers.
Or Hyundai wants you to think that the guy next to you at the stoplight might have a V6, as you smoke him off the line.

280Z Turbo

The S2000 has dual exhaust tips. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

There should be one exhaust pipe for each bank of cylinders. Period.

Secret Chimp

Why is this camouflaged? Don't we already know what it looks like?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

BMWDave

QuoteThey showed a concept.
This looks to be extremely similar to the concept in appearance.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

We don't know for sure. Because...they disguised it. ;)

CaseyNPham

I don't care about the tail pipes but I'm loving the grille ^_^
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little