An old but interesting article on "history and heritage" and why it works in EU

Started by cawimmer430, May 06, 2010, 03:03:32 PM

AltinD

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on June 15, 2010, 09:53:11 AM
Personally I think it's a bit rude to refer to cars that don't target the enthusiast crowd as appliances. An appliance is a household device that sits there and does one task. Just because a typical Camry owner doesn't thrash their car at every stoplight doesn't mean their car is an appliance.

It's not about the way the car is driven, but about requirements in a car.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 14, 2010, 09:15:08 PM
If these cars were truly bought by enthusiasts, the bulk of 3 series' sold would be sports packaged stickshift cars- but a quick Autotrader search shows autos outsell stickshifts by 8 to 1.............

LOL, it's always worth a good laugh when people claim that only the stick shift is what makes a car fun to drive. Car's dynamics have not much to do with shifting gears yourself, but rather chassis, suspensions, steering tuning and engine response. I've driven a 70 HP VW Polo (a boring car) that was more fun and involving to drive then a V6 Toyota.

BTW, the only stick car I've driven was a Toyota (Corolla), one of the most boring cars ever.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Onslaught

Quote from: AltinD on June 15, 2010, 02:57:25 PM

BTW, the only stick car I've driven was a Toyota (Corolla), one of the most boring cars ever.
You need to go drive more cars and come back later.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 15, 2010, 06:15:43 AM
Not all enthusiasts want a manual transmission.

Wimmer, in all seriousness, what percent of 3 series owners would choose an automatic? This isn't like a Benz or something... it's a car meant to be driven

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 15, 2010, 05:22:06 PM
Wimmer, in all seriousness, what percent of 3 series owners would choose an automatic? This isn't like a Benz or something... it's a car meant to be driven

According to the most recent statistics, less than 10% of new Lambos are stick. Make of that what you will.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on June 15, 2010, 10:03:50 PM
According to the most recent statistics, less than 10% of new Lambos are stick. Make of that what you will.

Not having to deal with a super heavy clutch probably makes it a breeze in the city.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 15, 2010, 05:22:06 PM

In all seriousness, how many people who buy a 3-Series are "enthusiasts"?

Even here in Europe, it's not uncommon anymore to see plenty of automatic 3-Series parked around the city. In fact, most higher-end BMW 3-Series' here that I personally see on the road are automatic. That includes 335i, 335d, 330i and 330d.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2010, 04:23:11 AM
In all seriousness, how many people who buy a 3-Series are "enthusiasts"?

Even here in Europe, it's not uncommon anymore to see plenty of automatic 3-Series parked around the city. In fact, most higher-end BMW 3-Series' here that I personally see on the road are automatic. That includes 335i, 335d, 330i and 330d.
You've proven my point- most new BMW owners are more badge snobs than driving or H&H (TM) enthusiasts

They just want to be seen + associated with the badge... which is well within their right... but just kind of silly to me, esp considering how the Europeans rape their customers option-wise

For Sally DoesntHaveAClue, a freshman in a very prestigious college w/enabling parents, what's the difference between a 328i and a TSX? Most people don't have a clue, and it seems silly to give people so much credit. Call it for what it is- brand whoring, materialism, etc... these people have no clue about the history or heritage of these cars beyond the fact that the brands say "I am rich".

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 16, 2010, 06:16:37 AM
You've proven my point- most new BMW owners are more badge snobs than driving or H&H (TM) enthusiasts

Eh, what does specifying an automatic transmission in a 3-Series have to do with badge snobbery?  :huh:

Again, not every driving enthusiast wants a manual.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 16, 2010, 06:16:37 AMThey just want to be seen + associated with the badge... which is well within their right... but just kind of silly to me, esp considering how the Europeans rape their customers option-wise

The European brands allows customers to personalize and individualize their cars by allowing them to select what features etc. they want. This is something Lexus can't do with their fully-loaded cars meaning that you can change the color and rims but other than that all Lexus out there are of the same specs: how utterly boring from an already lame boring brand.

Sure, the options in European cars cost money, but people are willing to pay for this because of their personal emotional needs and because these brands stand for something. Offering well-equipped cars has always been the Japanese way of doing business and in the case of their luxury brands it's a competitive selling point because none of them has any kind of history or heritage like the European luxury brands.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on June 15, 2010, 10:03:50 PM

Yeah, old rich poseurs have been buying Ferraris and Lamborghinis for ages; now they just have the option of making it easy on themselves. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 16, 2010, 06:16:37 AM

They just want to be seen + associated with the badge... which is well within their right... but just kind of silly to me, esp considering how the Europeans rape their customers option-wise

For Sally DoesntHaveAClue, a freshman in a very prestigious college w/enabling parents, what's the difference between a 328i and a TSX? Most people don't have a clue, and it seems silly to give people so much credit. Call it for what it is- brand whoring, materialism, etc... these people have no clue about the history or heritage of these cars beyond the fact that the brands say "I am rich".

I have an automatic BMW. That makes me a badge snob?

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2010, 07:21:54 AM

Sure, the options in European cars cost money, but people are willing to pay for this because of their personal emotional needs and because these brands stand for something. Offering well-equipped cars has always been the Japanese way of doing business and in the case of their luxury brands it's a competitive selling point because none of them has any kind of history or heritage like the European luxury brands.
What does BMW or Mercedes stand for?

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 16, 2010, 03:32:34 PM
I have an automatic BMW. That makes me a badge snob?
I said "most". For something like a 5 or 7 series, to a degree I can understand going automatic, but in my opinion an automatic 3 isn't worth it....

Onslaught

Quote from: cawimmer430 on June 16, 2010, 07:21:54 AM

Sure, the options in European cars cost money, but people are willing to pay for this because of their personal emotional needs and because these brands stand for something.
What?

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

hotrodalex

An automatic 3er is still one of the best performing cars you can get for the money. I'd rather have an auto 3 series than a manual Accord.

Tave

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 17, 2010, 11:50:32 AM
An automatic 3er is still one of the best performing cars you can get for the money. I'd rather have an auto 3 series than a manual Accord.

I hear you. While I prefer manuals on a lot of cars, if it came time to make my purchase and I could find a better deal on an auto, the auto was in better condition than any of the manuals I could find, or it was available with a lot of important options I couldn't otherwise get, that would certainly be a big factor in my decision.

Also, the type of car I was purchasing and whether I already had a manual in my garage would influence me.

I actually find it refreshing to drive an auto every once in awhile. Let's not forget, it is (or was originally) a luxury, and like all luxuries is meant to be enjoyed.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 17, 2010, 11:50:32 AM
If I were to get an auto BMW I'd get a 7 series.

And depending on the Accord I'd rather have that over the 3 series.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Drive my 328i and a manual Accord down some of the backroads around here and tell me which is more fun. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't compare.

I got an auto because I was searching for a 3 series for months and finally found an absolutely perfect example. It was an automatic. So either I get a perfect car or hold off to get a worse car just because it has a clutch. Sorry, I'll take the perfect one.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 17, 2010, 12:59:10 PM
Drive my 328i and a manual Accord down some of the backroads around here and tell me which is more fun. I'm sorry, but it just doesn't compare.

I got an auto because I was searching for a 3 series for months and finally found an absolutely perfect example. It was an automatic. So either I get a perfect car or hold off to get a worse car just because it has a clutch. Sorry, I'll take the perfect one.
Well, I loved the 6th generation one (same as my parents' car but with a manual and a 4 cylinder). :huh:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

The Pirate

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 17, 2010, 12:59:10 PM

Yeah, I have to agree here.  My friend had an E36 325i automatic around the same time that my dad had an '97 Accord EX 5-speed.  Took my road test on that Accord, and as much fun as it was (and Hondas of that era were quite nimble and fun for what they were), the BMW was a more enjoyable car to drive.

And I understand the used car game well, you're always going to have to make a concession. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

nickdrinkwater

Spare me the fucking HYPERBOLE and CAPITALIZED WORDS... post like a RATIONAL ADULT and not BILL FRIST.

:lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 16, 2010, 04:47:10 PM
What does BMW or Mercedes stand for?

BMW = premium sport sedans

Mercedes = premium luxury sedans

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 16, 2010, 04:47:10 PMI said "most". For something like a 5 or 7 series, to a degree I can understand going automatic, but in my opinion an automatic 3 isn't worth it....

An automatic transmission provides consumers with a choice. If someone wants a 3-Series with an automatic, let them. It's their way of enjoying the car and the car can still be enjoyed and driven in a fun way even with an automatic transmission. Again, not every car enthusiast wants a manual.

Are you going to call the folks who buy SMG BMW M3s and M5s "poseurs"? Because some of those guys are diehard racing enthusiast who purposefully specified this transmission because it would give them advantages in competitive racing on a track etc.

Hell, I am currently driving an automatic BMW 1-Series. I personally would have preferred the manual in this little car, but at the end of the day I have no major issues with the automatic transmission here. It shifts nicely and I can also select the gears I want with the manumatic function (and the response is quick and sporty). I find the 118i Automatic to be a fun little car. And I have testdriven the 118i with the manual - and it's no more fun than the automatic version in my opinion. The majority of driving fun in the 1-Series comes from the way it handles and takes corners if you ask me.

The Lexus IS220d was criticized in Europe for the lack of an automatic transmission option (whereas the IS250 is only available with the automatic here).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ChrisV

Spare me the fucking HYPERBOLE and CAPITALIZED WORDS... post like a RATIONAL ADULT and not BILL FRIST.

Until I'm responding to a rational adult, those will do just fine.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...