The Mazda6 thread

Started by ifcar, May 07, 2010, 08:01:24 AM

r0tor

first calibrate yourself by driving the previous gen...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2010, 11:14:29 AM
first calibrate yourself by driving the previous gen...

A used car just doesn't have the same feel as a new car. I've tried that in a couple of cases. But Mazda does still offer the 3 for the driving enthusiast, and they went from offering two sizes of compact car to a compact and a roomy midsize that's more fun than most others that are similarly practical.

r0tor

I'm 6' 3" and fit fine in the back of my parents first gen 6... it was never "compact" but is now "bloated" and not even close to "sporty" anymore
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2010, 01:30:04 PM
I'm 6' 3" and fit fine in the back of my parents first gen 6... it was never "compact" but is now "bloated" and not even close to "sporty" anymore

Well, then you wouldn't consider any midsize sedan even close to sporty...so my statement stands.

There was definitely a sweet spot between where it was and where it is now, but it was too close to the 3 before.

MX793

The 1st gen 6 was definitely not a compact.  It was smaller than most of its direct competitors (many of which are/were pushing "full size" status), but that doesn't mean it's a compact.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on May 07, 2010, 01:35:41 PM
The 1st gen 6 was definitely not a compact.  It was smaller than most of its direct competitors (many of which are/were pushing "full size" status), but that doesn't mean it's a compact.

It was one of a crowd of class-straddlers, and every one of them moved up into decidedly midsize. (It kept on going, too.)

r0tor

...only in the north american market anyway...

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2010, 01:44:58 PM
...only in the north american market anyway...

Yes, the other one is a few inches shorter. I'm sure those inches make a huge difference.

r0tor

Compared to the fix gen, the world 2nd gen had more interior space in the same sized package as the first gen and weighed less.  Because of the constant reviewers saying "its not big enough" the US market gets a car thats bigger, fatter, looks comparatively awkward trying to fit the same headlights on an upscaled body, has less configuration choices (no hatch or wagon), and tuned softer.  If you want to say the US car is sporty, then so is a Camry.

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on May 07, 2010, 01:51:40 PM
Compared to the fix gen, the world 2nd gen had more interior space in the same sized package as the first gen and weighed less.  Because of the constant reviewers saying "its not big enough" the US market gets a car thats bigger, fatter, looks comparatively awkward trying to fit the same headlights on an upscaled body, has less configuration choices (no hatch or wagon), and tuned softer.  If you want to say the US car is sporty, then so is a Camry.

I think it's attractive as is. And if they had in fact made the new world version roomy, then that would have solved complaints. Perhaps they overcorrected, but when you suggest there isn't a difference between how the current 6 drives versus other family sedans, you're greatly exaggerating.

Submariner

You know what I was thinking the other day...

How awesome an MS6 5-door would be.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

sportyaccordy

New 6 is ugly and fat. But our PC society says its 'unique and full figured' :facepalm:

the Teuton

Seriously, I've driven both generations of this car. The new one is junk. Find an oldie for comparison's sake. You'll thank me for it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 07, 2010, 05:21:26 PM
New 6 is ugly and fat. But our PC society says its 'unique and full figured' :facepalm:

:winkguy:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

Quote from: the Teuton on May 07, 2010, 05:26:49 PM
Seriously, I've driven both generations of this car. The new one is junk. Find an oldie for comparison's sake. You'll thank me for it.

Plus the previous gen came in the totally-sweet MS6 guise.

the Teuton

Quote from: R-inge on May 07, 2010, 06:01:02 PM
Plus the previous gen came in the totally-sweet MS6 guise.

I've only gotten to drive the 4 cylinder 4A and ride in a V6 5-speed. Absolutely awesome cars. I can only imagine the MS6 is that much better, even though I do love me a Leggie SpecB more.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 07, 2010, 05:21:26 PM

"Voluptuous" is another commonly misused term ("voluminous" would be more accurate).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

I've driven both gens now and the first gen made me giggle like a school girl.  The new gen is still sportier then most sedans, but it's more mainstream now.  It's far from junk though Teuton.  It's one of my favourite mid sizers, though as an enthusiast I did prefer the old gen for driving dynamics.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2010, 07:11:43 PM
I've driven both gens now and the first gen made me giggle like a school girl.  The new gen is still sportier then most sedans, but it's more mainstream now.  It's far from junk though Teuton.  It's one of my favourite mid sizers, though as an enthusiast I did prefer the old gen for driving dynamics.

For my purposes, as a 22something who likes fun, practical cars -- the new 6 just bores me. At least with a Sonata I know I'm supposed to get a boring car. The 6 is just disappointing. Sure, maybe compared to a Camry, it's sporty. But even back-to-back with the Fusion, the 6 just isn't that much fun to flog.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on May 07, 2010, 07:14:22 PM
For my purposes, as a 22something who likes fun, practical cars -- the new 6 just bores me. At least with a Sonata I know I'm supposed to get a boring car. The 6 is just disappointing. Sure, maybe compared to a Camry, it's sporty. But even back-to-back with the Fusion, the 6 just isn't that much fun to flog.
The Fusion is surprisingly fun to drive.  Even magazine editors say that they're surprised at how much fun it is.  The 4 pot with the 6 speed manual is actually quite a bit of fun to hit corners in.  The V6 is quicker, but the 4 banger corners better and feels better balanced.

No, you're 22 and single.  You're not supposed to want 4 door mid size sedans.

the Teuton

But I :wub: the old 6...which is more of a compact by today's standards. But who's counting?

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on May 07, 2010, 07:33:26 PM
But I :wub: the old 6...which is more of a compact by today's standards. But who's counting?

Then it fails at it's intended purpose.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on May 07, 2010, 07:34:49 PM

Then it fails at it's intended purpose.

It's still roughly the same size as a circa 2002 Accord. I dunno, a family of five could fit in one, albeit not too comfortably.

Catman

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FlatBlackCaddy

You're brady holt?

maybe we went over this before.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 07, 2010, 05:31:39 PM

:winkguy:

That reminds me of my last couple ex girlfriends.

God i miss,

shashandra

tanarananisha

and of course

laninewaweenatakandra-shan

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2010, 07:11:43 PM

This is the explanation that I've gone with based on my experience in the new 6 and reviews of the old. I may hunt for a used one, but they're in such inconsistent condition that it's hard to draw conclusions from. I drove an 08 Maxima the other day that was fine cosmetically but that had very stiff steering -- Nissan salespeople I spoke to said that's just not what the car was like.

CJ

I like the new 6.  It's soft, but it's got a nice interior and the visibility is pretty good.  Better than our Accord, that's for sure.  The 4-cylinder doesn't have enough power, even for me.  It's adequate around town, but don't do any major passes.  I'm sure it can be made to get more than 30 MPG on the highway.