~2008 Mid-size Trucks. Frontier or Tacoma?

Started by Pancor, May 09, 2010, 08:57:00 AM

Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma?

Nissan Frontier
9 (56.3%)
Toyota Tacoma
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pancor

I'm losing my passion for my little Ford Ranger and am about to buy a new-to-me truck.    I'm after a 4-door, manual trans 4wd, and basically have it narrowed down to these two models.   Which one would Carspin choose?

Tave

I'm not a huge fan of the Taco's reskin, and I've always liked the looks of the Frontier.

Although I have a lot of experience with Toyota's midsize truck line, and I like them immensely, I have hardly any experience with Nissan's offerings, and I can't offer you a qualified opinion on their utility.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

ifcar

The Tacoma has insanely high resale value. You can probably get a better deal on the Nissan.

GoCougs

Have you driven the Tacoma with the 2.7L? I had the (much smaller) first gen with the 2.7L I4 in regular cab and 4WD. It was an insanely slow vehicle. I can't imagine that engine, with only an additional 9 hp, lugging around the far bigger truck that is the crew cab second gen Tacoma.

Pancor

Quote from: GoCougs on May 09, 2010, 09:37:41 AM
Have you driven the Tacoma with the 2.7L? I had the (much smaller) first gen with the 2.7L I4 in regular cab and 4WD. It was an insanely slow vehicle. I can't imagine that engine, with only an additional 9 hp, lugging around the far bigger truck that is the crew cab second gen Tacoma.

Yeah, they're not really "compact" trucks, especially when coming from a Ranger.   I'll definitely be getting the respective  V6's.

Pancor

Quote from: ifcar on May 09, 2010, 09:11:44 AM
The Tacoma has insanely high resale value. You can probably get a better deal on the Nissan.

This is something I'm noticing!

Tave

Quote from: Pancor on May 09, 2010, 09:42:10 AM

Yeah, they're not really "compact" trucks, especially when coming from a Ranger.   I'll definitely be getting the respective  V6's.

Even the older, smaller models were painfully slow w/ the I4s. The 22R-E in my 4runner was a great engine in a lot of respects--bulletproof, economical, and it really shined off-pavement in the mountain--but my God was it ever an absolute slug on the highway, and downright scary in certain situations on busy freeways.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

I like the Frontier. For the money, it's probably a better truck (not a huge fan of the interior, to be honest). But if you had a budget to be able to fit in a Taco, it'd be worth a strong look.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

I really like the Looks of the Frontier and recently took a road trip in the back seat of the four door model.  I've never been in a Tocoma so I can't really compare quality but from my experience the Frontier is a good little truck. The only thing the owner doesn't like is the mileage and passing power while towing his 18ft boat.  I can really only recommend trying to get a test drive in both.

EDIT:  What about the Suzuki Equator?  IIRC it's just a re-skinned Frontier and may be cheaper still than the Frontier.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: 68_427 on May 09, 2010, 10:52:13 AM

EDIT:  What about the Suzuki Equator?  IIRC it's just a re-skinned Frontier and may be cheaper still than the Frontier.

Great suggestion, especially if Suzuki has the 7 year /100k mile fully-transferable warranty in Canada.

93JC

They don't, and the likelihood of even seeing a Suzuki Equator is on par with Stephen Hawking taking a stroll.

Rupert

Quote from: Pancor on May 09, 2010, 09:42:10 AM

The 4 cylinder 5 speed Taco of that generation that I've driven had plenty of power. :huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Man, this is a tough choice for me.  I have a ton of respect for the 05+ Frontier (the previous gen did nothing for me), and the engine is clearly superior in terms of overall power.  Overall I'd still give the nod to Toyota though for having a proven track record with this truck going back a couple of decades.

MaxPower

If this was a comparison of extended cabs and not 4 doors then I'd probably vote Taco.  But something about the 4 doors on the Taco just doesn't work.  The long proportions become awkward.  The Nissan, on the other hand, pulls it off well.  I'd take a Nismo.

MX793

Do they salt the roads in winter where you live?  Given the Tacoma's history of rust issues, I'd be hesitant to get one if I drove on salty roads in the winter.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

BimmerM3

I'd probably just go for whichever one I could get a better deal one, which would probably be the Frontier.

SVT32V

Did you consider one of these?

With the V8 it would be nice, resale is probably makes them affordable.

With the Taco you have to deal with the frame rust issue. Of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Nissan.

Minpin

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 10, 2010, 01:53:46 AM
I'd probably just go for whichever one I could get a better deal one, which would probably be the Frontier.

:hesaid:

They look pretty identical, to me.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

GoCougs

Tacoma by a landslide for pretty much all reasons - performance, reliability, durability, resale, etc. The only downside being that it'll likely cost quite a bit more on the used market.

I agree with MaxPower that the crew cab does look ungainly and the Frontier not quite so much. ('d personally go extended cab.)

Minpin

Interesting. I think the crew cab Tacoma looks the best, with the others looking misshaped.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

CALL_911

The VQ is awesome, but I think I'd go Taco.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Interestingly enough, in pretty much all comparison tests the Tacoma has better acceleration and towing despite being down on power. It's the age-old problem of the VQ not living up to its peak HP number.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 10, 2010, 09:05:00 AM
Interestingly enough, in pretty much all comparison tests the Tacoma has better acceleration and towing despite being down on power. It's the age-old problem of the VQ not living up to its peak HP number.
Or it could be gearing.

CJ

I would really buy the Taco.  I like tacos and the Tacoma's nick name is Taco, so Tacoma.

Pancor

Thanks, Clay!... :rolleyes: :lol:

I should have mentioned I have driven both of these, quite a bit.  My old man has an '07 Frontier and I was to buy my buddy's '06 Tacoma, but he backed out, starting this whole mess.   The Equators look nice, but are really rare up here, and the Sport-Trac just doesn't do it for me.   The Toyotas are easy to find with a 6 speed, probably more capable off-road and look better with a mild lift, but have a strange seating position that I just can't get too used to.  The Nissan has gobs more power, a better overall look, and are car-comfortable, but fuck me, its impossible to find one used with a manual transmission!   With all this being said, I've been a Nissan guy since age 16 and I'm going to get a Frontier, as soon as I find one. 

Thanks guys!

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on May 10, 2010, 09:05:00 AM

Tow rating doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with horsepower.  It comes down to the transmission (cooling capacity), differential (again, cooling), brakes, and how much weight the tow hitch can safely support (a function of spring rates and if it has any anti-sway features, not to mention just the strength of the structure).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on May 10, 2010, 04:34:21 PM
Tow rating doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with horsepower.  It comes down to the transmission (cooling capacity), differential (again, cooling), brakes, and how much weight the tow hitch can safely support (a function of spring rates and if it has any anti-sway features, not to mention just the strength of the structure).

Acceleration while towing, not tow rating, was my meaning.

MaxPower

Is frame rust a problem on the 05+ tacos, or just the up to -04s?

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed