Volkswagen to Debut New Convertible

Started by BMWDave, August 30, 2005, 06:14:38 AM

BMWDave

Volkswagen to Debut New Convertible, "Twincharger" Powertrain
Date Posted 08-29-2005

WOLFSBURG, Germany ? Volkswagen will use the Frankfurt Motor Show to unveil its new Passat-based hardtop convertible and the Golf GT "Twincharger," with a revolutionary new engine.

Volkswagen introduced its Concept C hardtop convertible show car at the 2004 Geneva Motor Show. Its final version will be called Eos, referring to the Greek goddess of dawn, the German carmaker announced. Eos will be based mechanically on the new Passat.

For technology buffs, there will be an interesting Golf powered by a "Twincharger" engine, which combines an exhaust turbocharger with a compressor in a direct-injection fuel engine. According to the company's official blurb: "The combination of exhaust turbocharging with an automatically switched, high-speed mechanical compressor develops the same torque as a high-volume naturally aspirated engine at the same time as achieving lower consumption values."

The first application of this new powertrain is the Golf GT, a stopgap model between the Golf Sportline and Golf GTi. The 1.4-liter FSi unit is capable of 167 horsepower and 177 lb-ft, propelling the sporty hatch to a 136-mile-per-hour top speed.

What this means to you? Volkswagen is borrowing a page from sister division Audi on the importance of technical innovations.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

I don't know much about a car mechanics, but won't that compressor receive a lot of wear and tear? I imagine it would cause problems for people, especially considering VW's reliability history.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

bobwill

So, it's a gas engine with direct fuel injection and has a turbo charger.  That doesn't seem too extraordinary, VW has being using direct injection and turbos on their diesels for years, and those are reliable.