1994 850 Turbo

Started by CJ, May 10, 2010, 06:50:50 PM

CJ

Why not?  I like driving them, they're practical, cheap to insure, fairly safe, roomy, the turbo ones scoot pretty well, and I know how to work on them. 

I just like them.  :huh:

omicron

I must have missed the part when you said you wanted a P1800, which is the obvious answer to the Which RWD Volvo shall I buy?' question.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

I love my Neon, but you don't see me lusting after Calibers......

CJ

Nobody wants a Caliber. People buy them because they didn't look for anything else.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on November 25, 2010, 01:25:56 PM
Nobody wants a Caliber. People buy them because they didn't look for anything else.

A girl in one of my classes (who owns a Caliber) thought It was a bad idea for looking at that Mazda 2.

CJ

Okay? People don't like Calibers.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on November 25, 2010, 01:33:25 PM
Okay? People don't like Calibers.

I just realized how horribly worded that statement was.

She told ME that It was bad of me to look at Mazda 2's, and that I should get a Caliber like her.

93JC

Of course. Calibers are bigger: you'd die in a crash in a 2.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on November 25, 2010, 04:14:01 PM
Of course. Calibers are bigger: you'd die in a crash in a 2.

Actually, her reasoning was that the Caliber is better made.

Laconian

Quote from: 2o6 on November 25, 2010, 07:49:53 PM
Color me surprised that a person that cares one iota about cars actually bought a Caliber, misguided or not.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on November 25, 2010, 07:49:53 PM

how could anyone have gotten the idea that a Caliber is better made than, well, anything, and seriously believe it?

Submariner

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 26, 2010, 01:06:32 AM
how could anyone have gotten the idea that a Caliber is better made than, well, anything, and seriously believe it?

Drugs?  Mental retardation?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Vinsanity

Quote from: Submariner on November 26, 2010, 10:55:11 AM
Drugs?  Mental retardation?

in either case, 2o6 should ask to be transferred into a different class.

Laconian

Maybe her family is loyal to Chrysler. Fanboyism (fangirlism?) bypasses the parts of the brain responsible for rational thought.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on November 26, 2010, 11:40:42 AM
Maybe her family is loyal to Chrysler. Fanboyism (fangirlism?) bypasses the parts of the brain responsible for rational thought.

Her mom had a Mazda (I think a Tribute) and she doesn't like her mom's car.

Tave

Chrysler upgraded the Caliber's interior to "doesn't fall apart in your hands," so I can see how she might be confused.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

the Teuton

ZOMG! Fanboyism!

I want another Subaru.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: Tave on November 27, 2010, 06:56:03 AM
Chrysler upgraded the Caliber's interior to "doesn't fall apart in your hands," so I can see how she might be confused.

Hers is pre-facelift.

cawimmer430

I still to this day don't get what is up with all the Dodge Caliber hate.  :huh:

Cheap interior? Yeah. But it's reasonably comfortable and spacious. I had the opportunity to drive one when I had a summer job at the local MB dealership. It had a Volkwagen TDI engine under the hood and was pretty spirited. The manual transmission also wasn't bad (smoother than any MB manual found in the R171 SLK or W203 C-Classes). Plus, its good value over here.

I think someone who needs a car to get them from A to B will find the Caliber an "interesting" choice in many regards. I actually see quite a few of them here in Munich.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 28, 2010, 10:58:46 AM
I still to this day don't get what is up with all the Dodge Caliber hate.  :huh:

Cheap interior? Yeah. But it's reasonably comfortable and spacious. I had the opportunity to drive one when I had a summer job at the local MB dealership. It had a Volkwagen TDI engine under the hood and was pretty spirited. The manual transmission also wasn't bad (smoother than any MB manual found in the R171 SLK or W203 C-Classes). Plus, its good value over here.

I think someone who needs a car to get them from A to B will find the Caliber an "interesting" choice in many regards. I actually see quite a few of them here in Munich.

But for the same money, you can get cars with nicer interiors that drive better and have as much room or more. And that have better safety scores, and better mileage, and better visibility...

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 28, 2010, 10:58:46 AM
I still to this day don't get what is up with all the Dodge Caliber hate.  :huh:

The 1.8L is nasty, the shifter action sucks, the CVT automatic is unresponsive, bits are falling off and panel gaps are horrible, it's slow, it doesn't corner well at all, and because of how it's priced, you pay too much for what you're getting. Literally, EVERYTHING in the class is better for the same (or cheaper) price.

In several respects, I thought it was a step backward from my Neon.

the Teuton

I thought all of them I drove had a 2.4 liter I4.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on November 28, 2010, 01:16:37 PM
I thought all of them I drove had a 2.4 liter I4.

SE, SXT 5MT = 1.8L (Per wikipedia, I thought lower trimmed models got the 1.8L regardless of transmission)

SE, SXT Auto = 2.0L

R/T = 2.4L

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on November 28, 2010, 01:26:13 PM
SE, SXT 5MT = 1.8L (Per wikipedia, I thought lower trimmed models got the 1.8L regardless of transmission)

SE, SXT Auto = 2.0L

R/T = 2.4L

Then I've never driven a 1.8 -- only 2.0 and 2.4 models.

MX793

I think they recently dropped the 1.8.  According to Edmunds, you can only get the 2.0 or 2.4.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CJ

850's borked right now.   :(  Cam position sensor connector melted on the EGR tube yesterday causing a no start.  The computer has to get a signal from the cam and crank sensors before it'll fire.  Right now, it won't let the car 'give' spark.  It all sucks to hell.

68_427

So Clay when you think you are ready to be cool...

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CJ

I don't want a 240.  At all.

Colonel Cadillac