Volkswagen's autonomous "Junior" reverse power-slides into parking spot

Started by SVT_Power, May 12, 2010, 07:09:37 AM

SVT_Power

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/11/volkswagen-and-stanfords-junior-autonomously-power-slides-int/

Automotive technology is rapidly advancing to the point where we eventually won't need to actually drive a car ourselves in most real world scenarios. At the forefront of this development work is Volkswagen and its new electronics lab in Palo Alto, California that's operated in conjunction with Stanford University. VW and Stanford have a long relationship in autonomous vehicle development and are continuing to develop "Junior," an autonomous Passat wagon that was built for the last DARPA Urban Challenge a couple of years ago. We recently got to play passenger in the backseat of Junior for a demonstration and were quite impressed with its parking prowess.

The basic hardware technology that makes Junior work is fairly straightforward: a mix of GPS, radar, laser, optical and inertial sensors. The hard part is creating the software algorithms that allow the system to detect and work through the more esoteric scenarios that arise in the real world.

The videos after the jump show just far those algorithms have come: Junior can now reverse power-sliding into a parallel parking spot. While this particular scenario is probably not something you want your autonomous car to do without your permission, learning how to do it is important. In the real world there are many variables that cannot be programmed into the controls. The Stanford engineers are developing methods to allow the system to blend instructions for basic scenarios with learned responses from situations like this. Check out the videos after the jump. A tip of the hat to James!
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

if you paint it white, it would remind me of the ghost busters wagon....
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

The idea of all cars becoming appliances that drive themselves literally hurts me.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Submariner

ChrisV

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 12, 2010, 02:23:49 PM
The idea of all cars becoming appliances that drive themselves literally hurts me.

Let the non-drivers that already buy appliance cars and drive them poorly have stuff like this. We'll keep our non-autonomous cars and be all teh safer for it, as we won't have to worry about them doing their makeup, reading the newspaper, and texting. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Submariner

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT_Power

Quote from: Submariner on May 13, 2010, 08:13:55 AM
Hmmm?

You simply said it's stupid. Chris said he doesn't like the recent trend of automation of cars - nowhere did he say the technology is stupid.

I also don't like how things are becoming more and more computerized, but I still think this reverse power slide parking technology is cool and interesting.

Submariner

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 13, 2010, 08:41:07 AM
You simply said it's stupid. Chris said he doesn't like the recent trend of automation of cars - nowhere did he say the technology is stupid.

Fine...it's stupid.  And seeing as I said that before Chris did, I'm not sure how I was equating his sentiment to mine. 

SVT_Power

Quote from: Submariner on May 13, 2010, 08:43:24 AM
Fine...it's stupid.  And seeing as I said that before Chris did, I'm not sure how I was equating his sentiment to mine. 

Looked like you were trying to say that raggu there was contradicting himself  :huh:

Submariner

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 13, 2010, 08:44:23 AM
Looked like you were trying to say that raggu there was contradicting himself  :huh:

I was answering his question to me with a quotation from Giant.

SVT_Power

sportyaccordy

Impressive stuff

I bet most of you internet Mario Andretti "ESP almost killed me!!!" types couldn't do that with years of practice

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ChrisV on May 13, 2010, 08:08:03 AM
Let the non-drivers that already buy appliance cars and drive them poorly have stuff like this. We'll keep our non-autonomous cars and be all teh safer for it, as we won't have to worry about them doing their makeup, reading the newspaper, and texting. ;)

+1
Will

SVT_Power

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 13, 2010, 04:45:26 PM
Impressive stuff

I bet most of you internet Mario Andretti "ESP almost killed me!!!" types couldn't do that with years of practice

Heh I only recall one certain member with a "ESP almost killed me!!!" story  :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: ChrisV on May 13, 2010, 08:08:03 AM

I'll bet that's what people said about the automatic transmission. :mask:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 15, 2010, 04:03:14 PM
I'll bet that's what people said about the automatic transmission. :mask:

and electric starters, and ABS, and ESP, and power windows, and
Will

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 13, 2010, 04:45:26 PM
Impressive stuff

Hahaha....

I've done it before.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Awesome for a youtube video, but I don't want to see computers drive cars.

And I've done plenty of things like that in snow, but I don't usually do such shenanigans on dry pavement since I try to treat my tires kindly.

AltinD

That's the future

This is present ... since 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPaDHYRvhk&feature=related

And from my personal experience with my car, it DOES work!

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 17, 2010, 04:08:33 PM

And I've done plenty of things like that in snow, but I don't usually do such shenanigans on dry pavement since I try to treat my tires kindly.

When I had the Passat, I would park in my driveway like that.  Now I'm not saying I was perfect every time, but I sure as hell made it more than once.  :lol:

Actually, I gave it a shot last night, but there were two cars in the drive at the time, so I undershot it.  Still got pretty close. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 17, 2010, 04:08:33 PM

Well the video wasn't done on pavement  :huh:

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza  on May 18, 2010, 06:18:02 AM
When I had the Passat, I would park in my driveway like that.  Now I'm not saying I was perfect every time, but I sure as hell made it more than once.  :lol:

Actually, I gave it a shot last night, but there were two cars in the drive at the time, so I undershot it.  Still got pretty close. 

Do you have a gravel driveway? If you have a paved driveway, I'm gonna call shens on you actually making it.

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 19, 2010, 07:10:28 AM
Do you have a gravel driveway? If you have a paved driveway, I'm gonna call shens on you actually making it.

Okay, sure, call "shens". 

It's pavement.  It's easy.  All you do is go in reverse quickly...the balance becomes very upset and you can easily snap the front around.  It may help that my drive is inclined at the bottom, but I don't know.  It's just doing a reverse 180 and hitting the brakes early. Very easy in a FWD car.  I've done it dozens of times. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i