Supercars

Started by SVT666, May 12, 2010, 03:25:28 PM

the Teuton

Oh, trust me, I want that 400 hp Prodrive STI whenever it comes out. 3.5 seconds to 60 mph or so -- now that's a supercar. :lol:

Okay, time to get back on topic...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on May 16, 2010, 01:29:20 PM
Oh, trust me, I want that 400 hp Prodrive STI whenever it comes out. 3.5 seconds to 60 mph or so -- now that's a supercar. :lol:

Okay, time to get back on topic...
I love that Prodrive concept.  Too bad they'll never build it.

the Teuton

Quote from: SVT666 on May 16, 2010, 01:32:16 PM
I love that Prodrive concept.  Too bad they'll never build it.

Different car. They're supposedly planning on coming out with a 400-450 hp version of the hatchback in limited numbers. It should be beastly.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 16, 2010, 11:16:00 AM
I don't know, Cougs. Based on its specs, I'd expect it to churn out some gnarly numbers.

I'm not saying otherwise really, just picking and poking at the unrelenting Mustangism.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on May 16, 2010, 08:36:02 PM
I'm not saying otherwise really, just picking and poking at the unrelenting Mustangism.
It was a somewhat weird comment, but it was still relevant. Relatively normal cars of today would wipe the floor with many cars costing more (especially factoring in inflation) from the past in many contests of performance. Does that make them better cars? Not necessarily. But it speaks a lot to the advances in automotive and manufacturing engineering.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 16, 2010, 08:58:58 PM
It was a somewhat weird comment, but it was still relevant. Relatively normal cars of today would wipe the floor with many cars costing more (especially factoring in inflation) from the past in many contests of performance. Does that make them better cars? Not necessarily. But it speaks a lot to the advances in automotive and manufacturing engineering.

True in general, but in specific the Diablo would absolutely murder an '11 Mustang GT - most any road test anyone cares to Google shows 0-60 under 4 sec and 1/4 mile under 12 sec.

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on May 15, 2010, 12:06:11 AM
The 458 (According to Ferrari) is faster around a track than an Enzo...that's pretty damn good.

The 458 isn't as "cool" (as subjective as that may be) to me as the 430.  The Gated shifter, the simplistic interior, none of the silly looking air intakes, etc.  I think it looks better, and from what I have heard (which as of now is unreliable because of how new it is) is more involving.  That being said, the 458 from a technological standpoint is one hell of a car. 

My dad's friend has an F430 - 6 speed.  He is waiting for his 458 to show up to his front door.  I'll reserve judgment on it's looks until I see it in the flesh. 

I don't care how fast it goes around a track.

There was a time when Ferrari looked at the Porsche 959 and deemed it too much technology for a car like Ferrari.  That's when they made the F40.  That's the Ferrari I want to see again.  Not some poseur bullshit with an automatic transmission and electronics so advanced that they're one step away from autopilot.  That's not Ferrari to me. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 15, 2010, 10:06:27 AM
458 performance > Enzo performance
458 price (x3.5) < Enzo price

Granted with that kind of cold hard logic the GT-R could be rationalized, but at the end of the day the 458 is still a Ferrari... and not a weird one like the 408 or F50; it's a true engineering achievement that still screams with passion. I don't know what more you want lol.

If this weren't a Ferrari, it wouldn't get a free pass.  You can't put a horse up front and call it passionate when there's that much computer tech going on.  If anything, I admire the GT-R even more in light of the 458.  I'd like to see these two automatic only, autopilot machines go up against each other. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 15, 2010, 10:50:39 AM
This thread has changed what i think of a supercar. IMO the level of supercar has been taken up to the level of pagoni and veyron

I've always considered "supercar" to be the top.  Cars I don't consider supercars, for example:

911, GT3, GT2
Gallardo
DB9
DBS
V8 Vantage
SL65 AMG

Cars I do:
Murcielago
Vanquish
SLS
SLR

Borderline:
R8

Just a few examples. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

so you're saying an R8 is closer to a supercar than a GT2?  :wtf:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on May 17, 2010, 07:40:08 AM
so you're saying an R8 is closer to a supercar than a GT2?  :wtf:

Yup.

The GT2 is based on a car that isn't a supercar (the 911) and therefore can't be a supercar itself unless you then consider the base 911 a supercar, which I have trouble with for many reasons.  One, it's not expensive enough.  Two, it seats four.  Three, the performance isn't insane enough.  The R8 is a quandary.  It's got a V8 or V10, it's midengined, it's a range topper, and it's not based on a lesser model.  But I'm hesitating on price and competition, as no one really can seem to decide what cars are to be deemed competitors.  Does it really compete with the 911 C4S?  Then definitely not a supercar.  911 Turbo and SLS?  Then it's definitely in the supercar mix. 

The rules may seem silly, but I think we had a thread on this about a year ago and came up with some criteria on what is and isn't considered a supercar.  The GT2 and proposed GT2 RS are interesting cases; they may jump supercar into "hypercar" territory, which, as of now, remains only loosely defined.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on May 17, 2010, 10:10:19 AM
Yup.

The GT2 is based on a car that isn't a supercar (the 911) and therefore can't be a supercar itself unless you then consider the base 911 a supercar, which I have trouble with for many reasons.  One, it's not expensive enough.  Two, it seats four.  Three, the performance isn't insane enough.  The R8 is a quandary.  It's got a V8 or V10, it's midengined, it's a range topper, and it's not based on a lesser model.  But I'm hesitating on price and competition, as no one really can seem to decide what cars are to be deemed competitors.  Does it really compete with the 911 C4S?  Then definitely not a supercar.  911 Turbo and SLS?  Then it's definitely in the supercar mix. 

The rules may seem silly, but I think we had a thread on this about a year ago and came up with some criteria on what is and isn't considered a supercar.  The GT2 and proposed GT2 RS are interesting cases; they may jump supercar into "hypercar" territory, which, as of now, remains only loosely defined.

Razr

If u consider the F40 a supercar u have to consider the GT2 RS a supercar. They're both based on lesser, plebian  sports cars and they're both the fastest things their respective companies have to offer in their respective model years. Being a purist doesn't seem to be much fun if it centers around arguing semantics....

By the same token I would say the Vette ZR-1 is a supercar as well. A bad one, by comparison, but IMO no less outrageous in performance than a Diablo, but for 1/3 the price. IDK. I don't think unobtainability should be a pre-requisite for supercars. In Mark Wan's review of the 360 Modena on Autozine.org, he said that a supercar can be defined as a car in which 100 MPH can be reached in under 10 seconds (which the 360 was able to achieve). I would say that might be lowered to 8 seconds for cars today.

Raza

The F40 may have some roots in a lesser car, but that is not the same thing as being a trim level of another car.  It really is like calling the SL65 a supercar.  The GT2 is the same car, same chassis, and same name and shape as the base 911.  Now mind you, you all love to argue semantics with me, as if a classification takes something away from the car.  The same way that being a GT and not a sports car takes nothing away from being a great performing car, being based on a lesser, non-supercar takes nothing away from the car's qualities.  If you Dodge were to take a Caliber SRT-4, drop in a V12, and make it go around the 'Ring in 7 minutes, that's quite an achievement--but that is not a supercar. 

Supercars have to be viewed in only their contemporary periods; you can't say that a car like the F40 or Enzo is no longer a supercar because the 458 is faster around a track.  That's why you can't have set and specific performance-based statistics to define a supercar, because technology evolves over time and creates faster cars.  It's not a valid metric for defining a supercar. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Raza, the R8 and the Gallardo are the same car. If one is, both are. If one isn't, neither are. A super car doesn't have to be the range topper, if a company ONLY makes supercars. It's like saying the Ghost isn't a luxury car because Rolls also makes the Phantom.

You're right about only comparing them to their era, however.

Supercars should be the passion of one person or a small group of people, and not committee designed, bean counter engineered compromises. Supercars probably shouldn't have the word practical in any dictionary associated with them, unless preceeded by the word "not." ;) They shoud be outrageous/excessive for their time, and should inspire irrational passion in the viewer, and should NOT be attainable easily by the average person (not saying they need to be expensive, however. But if they are inexpensive, they need to have taken much sweat equity to possess/create).

And ignoring them/discounting them to concentrate on "attainable" cars is like saying "I'll never look at art because I can only afford a velvet dogs-playing-cards." Or saying "I'll never appreciate a Frank Lloyd Wright building because I can only afford a double wide." I can't afford supercars, either, but they are still the inspiration for the passion for performance cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on May 19, 2010, 07:40:49 AM
Raza, the R8 and the Gallardo are the same car. If one is, both are. If one isn't, neither are. A super car doesn't have to be the range topper, if a company ONLY makes supercars. It's like saying the Ghost isn't a luxury car because Rolls also makes the Phantom.

You're right about only comparing them to their era, however.

Supercars should be the passion of one person or a small group of people, and not committee designed, bean counter engineered compromises. Supercars probably shouldn't have the word practical in any dictionary associated with them, unless preceeded by the word "not." ;) They shoud be outrageous/excessive for their time, and should inspire irrational passion in the viewer, and should NOT be attainable easily by the average person (not saying they need to be expensive, however. But if they are inexpensive, they need to have taken much sweat equity to possess/create).

And ignoring them/discounting them to concentrate on "attainable" cars is like saying "I'll never look at art because I can only afford a velvet dogs-playing-cards." Or saying "I'll never appreciate a Frank Lloyd Wright building because I can only afford a double wide." I can't afford supercars, either, but they are still the inspiration for the passion for performance cars.

If they are indeed the same car (though I think that's not totally accurate, I know there are shared aspects of the design and much of the chassis is shared) then I have to say no. 

However, I stand by my ranger topper argument.  The Rolls Royce comparison is not apt in my eyes, since luxury isn't defined by being the top, whereas the term "super" in supercar implies that there is nothing above it:

?adjective
6. of the highest degree, power, etc.

Whereas luxury isn't defined by being above anything else, but simply affording the unnecessary.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22006.msg1327916#msg1327916 date=1274277676
However, I stand by my ranger topper argument.  The Rolls Royce comparison is not apt in my eyes, since luxury isn't defined by being the top, whereas the term "super" in supercar implies that there is nothing above it:

In that case, there can be only one "supercar" at any given time: whichever car is the top. Not one from each manufacturer, but only one, period. And even if you say only one from each manufacturer, then you have to discount versions of a single model, too. Not all Murceilagos can be supercars, only the top version. Not all F40s could be supercars, only the LM version. Not all McLaren F1s were supercars, only the LM version, etc. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that.

A Gallardo Superleggera is as much a supercar as a Ford GT or even it's own bigger brother, the Murcie.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quote from: ChrisV on May 19, 2010, 08:07:16 AM
In that case, there can be only one "supercar" at any given time: whichever car is the top. Not one from each manufacturer, but only one, period. And even if you say only one from each manufacturer, then you have to discount versions of a single model, too. Not all Murceilagos can be supercars, only the top version. Not all F40s could be supercars, only the LM version. Not all McLaren F1s were supercars, only the LM version, etc. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that.

A Gallardo Superleggera is as much a supercar as a Ford GT or even it's own bigger brother, the Murcie.

Now you're taking to the extreme just to be a bit silly.  A supercar is the best that any manufacturer can do, and when viewed in comparison to similar models, it must be competitive.  It's why the Murcielago is a supercar and the Hyundai Genesis is not.  Porsche, for example, has a range topper, the GT2.  Yet, it's not a supercar, and the Carrera GT was.  So in my eyes, currently, Porsche has no supercar.  Again, that takes nothing from the cars, but I don't think any of them fall into that category.  If a car company can do better and has proven that they can do better by putting a model out, I'm not sure how anything that falls short can be considered "super-".

The Gallardo is clearly not the best Lamborghini can do because there is a car above it, the Murcielago, which is the best that they can do.  Now, yes, they did tweak it to make the cars even better, like the LP640, the Reventon, and the like, but I don't think those trim levels of the top car take anything away from them because they did come out afterwards.  Were it other way around, were the LP640, for example, a decontented, lower price version of the Reventon, then its status would be in doubt.

Mind you though, "supercar" is free to be interpreted however you like, as it is loosely and vaguely defined (as opposed to sedan, coupe, wagon, et al), so this is just my view of it.  I don't mean it to be gospel, it's just how I see it.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

:rolleyes:

If all a car company makes are supercars, then they're all supercars.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on May 19, 2010, 08:58:55 AM

Yeah, but if a supercar company makes a car, is it always a supercar?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 19, 2010, 08:58:55 AM

I'm sorry, I disagree.  More than one car cannot be the best they can be.  It cannot be super if there is one above. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22006.msg1327942#msg1327942 date=1274281892
I'm sorry, I disagree.  More than one car cannot be the best they can be.  It cannot be super if there is one above. 
A 599GTB is every bit a supercar as the 458.  It's nearly as fast, if not just as fast, but has a totally different drivetrain layout.  It's a completely different car, but it's definitely a supercar.

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 19, 2010, 09:03:41 AM
Yeah, but if a supercar company makes a car, is it always a supercar?
No.  Porsche has proven that with the Cayenne, Boxster, Cayman, and Panamera.  But if all they make are supercars, like Lamborghini, then they're supercars.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 19, 2010, 09:58:08 AM
A 599GTB is every bit a supercar as the 458.  It's nearly as fast, if not just as fast, but has a totally different drivetrain layout.  It's a completely different car, but it's definitely a supercar.

And yet, Ferrari's pricing scheme says the 599 is better than the 458.  Therefore, the 458 is not a supercar.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

The 458 is the entry level Ferrari, discounting Maserati or the old adage that the entry level Ferrari is a used Ferrari.

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on May 19, 2010, 11:13:38 AM
The 458 is the entry level Ferrari, discounting Maserati or the old adage that the entry level Ferrari is a used Ferrari.

Precisely.  Entry level can never be super.  To tweak Chris's analogy a bit, it's like saying the Mercedes C class is on the same level as the S class because they're both luxury cars made by the same manufacturer, and the materials, engine, chassis, and technology don't separate them. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BimmerM3

Isn't the California the entry level Ferrari?

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 19, 2010, 11:26:56 AM
Isn't the California the entry level Ferrari?

Oh yes.  Still doesn't make the 458 a supercar.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

the Teuton

A supercar should be something you don't see every day. I've seen more Gallardos out here than I have Corvettes lately. But I have never seen a Murcielago out here.

There's an exclusivity factor, as well as a performance factor, that's needed.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: the Teuton on May 19, 2010, 11:33:14 AM
A supercar should be something you don't see every day. I've seen more Gallardos out here than I have Corvettes lately. But I have never seen a Murcielago out here.

There's an exclusivity factor, as well as a performance factor, that's needed.
I haven't seen a Mitsubishi in a long time, does that make them supercars? :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R