Supercars

Started by SVT666, May 12, 2010, 03:25:28 PM

SVT666

Is it just me?  I'm getting bored with Supercars now.  Everybody and their dog makes a car that can hit 60 mph in under 4 seconds and have a top speed of near or more then 200 mph.  It used to be that only a select few cars were at the top of the heap.  Now it seems like everything from a $50,000 Corvette to a $1.5 Million Bugatti can do it.  There just doesn't seem to be anything built these days that makes your jaw drop performance-wise because there are 20 other cars that can do the exact same thing.

Personally, I'm finding cars that perform or offer levels of refinement that far exceed their price range to be far more exciting these days.  Cars that are actually affordable like the Mustang, Genesis Coupe, Euro Focus RS, new Sonata, Toyota FT-86, WRX, etc.

the Teuton

I agree completely. There are boutique manufacturers that completely light my fancy, though, because of outrageous style (Spyker), pedigree and performance (Morgan), or something novel (Tesla). I'll still go crazy when I see something really cool, but I've seen something like 7 or 8 Gallardos recently, 3 or 4 GT-Rs, and a host of other cars. So a rich man can buy a fast car -- I could, too, if I had the money.

But it doesn't always mean it's something really kickass.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Don't get me wrong, if I won the lottery tonight, I would placing orders for an Aston Martin DBS, Ferrari 599 or California, and a Lamborghini LP670-4.

But, I just have a hard time getting excited about a new supercar that can do 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds, a top speed of 205 mph, and costs $350,000.  I mean, you can't even use all that power on public roads and it costs as much as a house.  They used to be far and few between that could do that and they lit my fire because they were so rare.  Like the Lambo Diablo.  I remember when that came out.  That is the car that actualy got me to fall in love with cars.  I liked cars before the Diablo, but that car made me fall in love with cars.  Now, a Mustang is faster then the 1st gen Viper.

the Teuton

They also made less than 2,500 Diablos over 12 years. They make more Gallardos than that in one year.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Onslaught

I've always been like this. I mean I love some moder super cars and ones from the past. But I've never got into them as much as the cars that I could actually own. I've got two list of "favorite cars."  One is super cars that I could only see at car shows and the other, more important one is a list of cars I can buy.

One more thing, driving one of these on the road must be hell. My "slow" RX-8 will be going speeds that would lose my drivers license or put me in jail in no time. I can't get the back end out on a curve unless I'm going way too fast for public roads. What in the world would it be like driving a super car like this? You'd only be able to drive it the way you wanted at a track or take your chances. That's why I like cars like the MX-5. Not much power but you can have a blast going 45-50 mph and feel like you're doing more. You can actually use the car in the real world.

That said I'd still love an F-40, F-355 or many other cars.

hotrodalex

I think the problem is that none of the new "super" cars are all that super in the way they used to be. They are all very, very fast, but they seem like a normal car. It used to be that all supercars were absolutely insane, something different. Now half of them have roots from a mainstream car.

Payman

That, and all the nanny driver's aids. My old Karmann Ghia was a fun car, because it was very entertaining to drive at 60 mph. To get the same thrills, I'd have to drive 120 mph+ in a modern car. This is why a $12,995 Factory Five kit is more appealing to me than any car I'd have to spend 6 figures on.

MX793

Supercars are cool, but I'm far more interested in vehicles I might actually have a chance to own or drive.  And even some of those are starting to lose appeal.  I'm actually turned off by the new 400 hp Mustang GT and Camaro SS.  They're simply too fast to ever use that kind of power on public roads.  I actually like cars you can flog while staying below "spend the night in jail" speeds.  I've got a vehicle with that level of performance and I've only ever really cracked into it once.  I got to enjoy a whole 4 seconds of "holy sh!t" acceleration before I was into super-legal speeds.  Even when not really giving it the spurs, you can get up to "arrest me" speeds in a hurry.  When passing a slower moving car, I can go from 50 mph to 80+ by the time I've cleared the nose of the car without downshifting out of top gear.  Though I'll admit it's nice to have that kind of thrust when passing zones are few and short and you're stuck behind a semi.

I just want something that looks good, sounds good, can hit 60 in under 7 seconds and is fun in the corners even at legal speeds.  If Mazda made an RX-8 with folding rear seats and a more fuel efficient engine, I'd be all over it.  If the V6 Mustang isn't what I hope it'll be, I may end up going the RX route anyway (assuming they bring back the big incentives) and keeping my car as a beater/practical vehicle.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on May 12, 2010, 03:56:45 PM
I've always been like this. I mean I love some moder super cars and ones from the past. But I've never got into them as much as the cars that I could actually own. I've got two list of "favorite cars."  One is super cars that I could only see at car shows and the other, more important one is a list of cars I can buy.

One more thing, driving one of these on the road must be hell. My "slow" RX-8 will be going speeds that would lose my drivers license or put me in jail in no time. I can't get the back end out on a curve unless I'm going way too fast for public roads. What in the world would it be like driving a super car like this? You'd only be able to drive it the way you wanted at a track or take your chances. That's why I like cars like the MX-5. Not much power but you can have a blast going 45-50 mph and feel like you're doing more. You can actually use the car in the real world.

That said I'd still love an F-40, F-355 or many other cars.

As much fun as it was to rent that 'Vette this past spring, I only really got to see what it could do a few times in the middle of nowhere deserts and mountains. In areas of civilization, it was an absolute chore to keep it at the speed limit. It is just a horrible tragedy to adhere to such mundane traffic laws in a super(ish) car! Hence the Swift. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 12, 2010, 08:48:14 PM
As much fun as it was to rent that 'Vette this past spring, I only really got to see what it could do a few times in the middle of nowhere deserts and mountains. In areas of civilization, it was an absolute chore to keep it at the speed limit. It is just a horrible tragedy to adhere to such mundane traffic laws in a super(ish) car! Hence the Swift. :lol:

That automatic Vette could eat a Diablo--the first legit 200+ mph supercar--for lunch. That was only two decades ago that the Lambo was the king.

Payman

Swift @ 60 = Diablo @ 200.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on May 12, 2010, 09:06:43 PM
Swift @ 60 = Diablo @ 200.

Then what does Swift @ 90 = ? Because I've done it, and I shit my pants.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on May 12, 2010, 09:02:54 PM
That automatic Vette could eat a Diablo--the first legit 200+ mph supercar--for lunch. That was only two decades ago that the Lambo was the king.
A stock 2011 Mustang GT could keep up to the Diablo now.  It says a lot about where affordable performance cars are these days.

Payman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 12, 2010, 09:07:15 PM
Then what does Swift @ 90 = ? Because I've done it, and I shit my pants.

Eye of the Tiger

sportyaccordy

I agree, though I have a soft spot for the GT3 and whatever the midengine Ferrari is

I mean a Mustang GT is cool, GREAT 40K car, but it will never match the shriek, precision and sense of urgency of a supercar or even a high end sports car. It's like the GT-R vs a 911 C4S... yea the Porsche costs more and doesn't hold a candle to the GT-R on the track, but for my money I'm going for the better looking, better sounding, more opulent Porsche. I think we've come to a time where supercar performance is standard, and the choice is between price or aesthetics and feel. I would rather pay a little more and get some more refinement than just enter in at the bottom strictly to get the most performance for the $$$.

Tave

Quote from: SVT666 on May 12, 2010, 09:09:10 PM
A stock 2011 Mustang GT could keep up to the Diablo now. 

:wtf:

Quote from: the Teuton on May 12, 2010, 09:02:54 PM
That automatic Vette could eat a Diablo--the first legit 200+ mph supercar--for lunch.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

i admire attainable or slightly attainable performance cars these days...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on May 13, 2010, 05:41:41 AM
What do you mean WTF?  It could.  The original Diablo was only marginally faster to 60 mph, much slower in the slalom, and would break down every 3 or 4 miles.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on May 13, 2010, 03:07:11 PM
What do you mean WTF?  It could.  The original Diablo was only marginally faster to 60 mph, much slower in the slalom, and would break down every 3 or 4 miles.

The Diablo did 60 in first gear, and over 200 in fifth. The Swift can do the slalom faster than a Diablo.
Swift wins.  :huh:

Rupert

This is why I like old cars.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colonel Cadillac

I floor my car all the time. Mind you, I have a manual so if I'm in a highish gear for my speed and floor it, it takes some time, but it gets up to speed pretty quickly. I can see having more than 300 HP would almost put a damper since it would be too fast.

Raza

I understand the sentiment.  It's hard to get excited about things you'll likely never have the chance to experience.  But I don't feel the same way.  Sure, the threshold for excitement is higher with these cars, and as they become more technologically advanced and automated, I lose interest.  The cars that are the most perfect are the hardest to love.  I'm entirely overcome with ennui when thinking about the Ferrari 458 (OMG!  An ugly Ferrari with an automatic and holes in the front of the car!), but love the idea of these boutique supercars that come out of nowhere with high hopes.  Most fail, but some, like Pagani, manage to come through with all the passion and soul that led someone to spend his life designing cars with no practical use intact.  The one upside to a car like the 458 is that it makes something like the GT-R look more attractive.  It makes you think...the Ferrari is uglier, less practical, only as technologically advanced, and costs a shitload more and is only maybe a hair faster.  I'd honestly rather have the GT-R than the 458.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22006.msg1325530#msg1325530 date=1273841171
I understand the sentiment.  It's hard to get excited about things you'll likely never have the chance to experience.  But I don't feel the same way.  Sure, the threshold for excitement is higher with these cars, and as they become more technologically advanced and automated, I lose interest.  The cars that are the most perfect are the hardest to love.  I'm entirely overcome with ennui when thinking about the Ferrari 458 (OMG!  An ugly Ferrari with an automatic and holes in the front of the car!), but love the idea of these boutique supercars that come out of nowhere with high hopes.  Most fail, but some, like Pagani, manage to come through with all the passion and soul that led someone to spend his life designing cars with no practical use intact.  The one upside to a car like the 458 is that it makes something like the GT-R look more attractive.  It makes you think...the Ferrari is uglier, less practical, only as technologically advanced, and costs a shitload more and is only maybe a hair faster.  I'd honestly rather have the GT-R than the 458.

When you think about it, the Zonda F is akin to a modern day Diablo, or even Countach...In fact, it's everything a supercar should be - Fast, light but above all, balls to the walls insane.  

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

GoCougs

C'mon - didn't you guys here the Mustang can cure cancer!

Unbelievable, the Diablo would rape a Mustang GT of any year; '11 or otherwise.

:facepalm:

cawimmer430

Some supercars can still impress through exclusivity.  :ohyeah:

If you want to be different, drive this.  :lol:

The Mercedes 35 HP Super Sports Car

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/mercedes-benz/motorsports/mercedes-benz-history-the-mercedes-35-hp/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22006.msg1325530#msg1325530 date=1273841171
I understand the sentiment.  It's hard to get excited about things you'll likely never have the chance to experience.  But I don't feel the same way.  Sure, the threshold for excitement is higher with these cars, and as they become more technologically advanced and automated, I lose interest.  The cars that are the most perfect are the hardest to love.  I'm entirely overcome with ennui when thinking about the Ferrari 458 (OMG!  An ugly Ferrari with an automatic and holes in the front of the car!), but love the idea of these boutique supercars that come out of nowhere with high hopes.  Most fail, but some, like Pagani, manage to come through with all the passion and soul that led someone to spend his life designing cars with no practical use intact.  The one upside to a car like the 458 is that it makes something like the GT-R look more attractive.  It makes you think...the Ferrari is uglier, less practical, only as technologically advanced, and costs a shitload more and is only maybe a hair faster.  I'd honestly rather have the GT-R than the 458.

I like + understand you less with each post

GT-R is essentially the 458 with less steering feel, uglier looks + sounds, higher weight and worse performance. 458 is the better car even at 3x the price. GT-R is a really fast Altima SE

hotrodalex

Quote from: Submariner on May 14, 2010, 08:00:07 AM
When you think about it, the Zonda F is akin to a modern day Diablo, or even Countach...In fact, it's everything a supercar should be - Fast, light but above all, balls to the walls insane. 

I agree. And it's one of the only new supercars that I love. :wub:

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 14, 2010, 12:10:00 PM
I like + understand you less with each post

GT-R is essentially the 458 with less steering feel, uglier looks + sounds, higher weight and worse performance. 458 is the better car even at 3x the price. GT-R is a really fast Altima SE

Maybe I'm being a bit extreme, but I expect more from Ferrari. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on May 14, 2010, 11:48:29 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit extreme, but I expect more from Ferrari. 

The 458 (According to Ferrari) is faster around a track than an Enzo...that's pretty damn good.

The 458 isn't as "cool" (as subjective as that may be) to me as the 430.  The Gated shifter, the simplistic interior, none of the silly looking air intakes, etc.  I think it looks better, and from what I have heard (which as of now is unreliable because of how new it is) is more involving.  That being said, the 458 from a technological standpoint is one hell of a car. 

My dad's friend has an F430 - 6 speed.  He is waiting for his 458 to show up to his front door.  I'll reserve judgment on it's looks until I see it in the flesh. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550