SOLSTICE - Going toe to goe with the Miata

Started by Laconian, August 30, 2005, 06:05:55 PM

Laconian

El Linko

There was an audible gasp when General Motors rolled out the Pontiac Solstice concept car during the Detroit auto show, in January 2004 - quickly followed by skeptical sighs. Over the years, the giant automaker has unveiled countless sexy show cars that have never made it into showrooms - or worse, which have been mangled by the production process, like another Pontiac prototype, the Aztek.

General Motors' decision to put the Solstice into production thus generated a mix of excitement and skepticism. Would the automaker retain the show car's over-the-top styling, back-to-basics roadster dynamics, and its promised under-$20,000 price tag?

After a surprisingly short wait, the Solstice is back, this time in production trim. If you've got a pair of calipers, you'll likely find a few minor dimensional changes, but the roadster that TheCarConnection.com got to drive, a few weeks back, is uncannily close to the concept car that first debuted at Detroit 's Cobo Hall.

Kappa, Kappa, Kappa

Getting there was no mean feat. GM engineers had to come up with an all-new platform. Dubbed Kappa, it will serve as the "architecture" for an assortment of other specialty vehicles, such as the upcoming Saturn Sky. The automaker also had to raid its parts bin for pieces the Solstice could share with other GM products in a bid to hold down production costs.

The strategy worked. The 2006 Solstice is visually striking, a blast to drive and comes in moderately well equipped at a base price of just $19,995.

A multi-hued lineup of roadsters beckoned as we stepped out of our hotel on a brisk but sunny morning. Despite the chill of the Portland air, we were intent on driving al fresco. Lowering the roof is a reasonably simple operation: press a button on the instrument panel to pop the speedster-style rear clamshell, lift it up and then fold back the canvas top. Though you do have to get out of the car, it is, at worst, a 30-second effort.

Back behind the wheel and buckled up, we listened with delight as the 2.4-liter in-line four fired up. The measure of a great automobile can be found in the smallest details, and it was good to discover that the Solstice engineering team had put some effort into getting the powertrain sound just right.

Of course, they had a good role model. Mazda engineers reportedly studied the exhaust note of more than 100 different roadsters and sports cars when they developed the original Miata.

Miata vs. Solstice

The third generation of that Japanese roadster has just gone on sale, and whether the timing is purely coincidental, it's good news for motorists. Comparisons between the Miata and Solstice will be frequent and unavoidable. Mazda has actually made a point of addressing the issue online.

Nowhere is the contrast more obvious than in exterior design. The Miata has always been a classic roadster, and despite minor changes, the '06 update looks much like the original.

The long-nosed Solstice is much more of a head-turner. With top down, the speedster-style headrests provide the car's visual signature.

The original design emerged from the pen of Franz Von Holzhausen, part of the team at GM's California design studio. Maintaining the low cowl of the concept car was no easy matter, but GM succeeded admirably.

The production car is as curvaceous as the latest Hollywood starlet, with virtually no straight lines or right angles to be found. GM actually had to come up with a new process to shape the large sheetmetal panels, the first such application of hydroforming, which is more commonly used to bend truck frame rails.

Be aware that you'll be likely to spend a lot of your time dealing with gawkers. Folks would follow us for miles out of their way to check out all the angles and chat, if they could catch us at a light.

Seating is comfortable, with precisely the right amount of lateral support you'd want while pushing the roadster through the tight-and-twisties. One complaint, though, is the way the windshield header blocked our view of stoplights, though at 6' 2", we are a bit taller than most drivers. Mazda's latest roadster has largely solved this problem. The Miata, meanwhile, has significantly more trunk space than GM could cram under the Solstice clamshell.

Rocket science

The beating heart of Solstice is that 2.4-liter version of the Ecotec engine, here making 177 horsepower. That's seven more than the '06 Miata, but at 2860 pounds, the Solstice has nearly 400 pounds more to haul around. It's still able to deliver 0-60 times of 7.2 seconds, and clocks an aero drag-limited top speed of 123 mph. No rocket, perhaps, but more than entertaining.

And as we learned long ago while driving Triumphs and MGs, off-the-line acceleration matters a little less with a roadster than the brio of a top-down driving experience. During a long day of driving through the scenic Columbia River Gorge, dividing Oregon and Washington , we found that the best way to describe that experience was great.

The throttle is extremely responsive, as is the roadster's five-speed gearbox. Yes, Miata does offer an optional six-speed manual, but cognoscenti know that the five-speed has the shorter, smoother throw, so we'll call this a wash. The Miata also offers a six-speed automatic. The Solstice won't get its auto until next year, after it's launched on the Saturn Sky.

The stiff Kappa platform is more than up to the task at hand. And so is the suspension, using forged short/long-arms front and rear, along with Bilstein monotube shocks. Pontiac claims the Solstice can deliver 0.9 Gs on the skid pad, and though we didn't get track time, our experience suggested the numbers are realistic.

Steering is precise and direct, as you'd expect from a much more expensive sports car. We were especially surprised at the way the suspension soaked up roadway bumps while maintaining its grip on the Gorge's tight and twisty roads. Oversized brakes proved useful throughout the day, Pontiac claiming 60-0 stops in just 115 feet.

Pontiac has big plans for Solstice. It's lined up a super-sized option catalogue, everything from 18-inch wheels to a modified intake system that can add another 5 hp. Both supercharger and turbo kits are now being offered for the Ecotec, though it's not clear they'll fit under the hood in current form. But company insiders hint they'll offer one or both as factory options in the near future.

Overall, the Solstice is everything we could have hoped for, especially if GM was intent on maintaining the show car's compact dimensions. The new Pontiac yields a few points to Miata, but it also scores quite a few, not the least for its striking looks. It's a fun car to drive, and easy to enjoy on even the longest trips. Bottom line, we expect that each car will develop its own following and provide a much-needed boost to the sluggish roadster market.

We have reason to feel confident. Pontiac already claims 9000 "sold orders." That's about half a year's production. With a slow initial roll-out, you'll be lucky to take delivery any time before next spring, even if you were to plunk down a deposit today.

Pontiac is in need of more excitement and frankly, more showroom traffic these days. The Solstice has a big mission ahead of it - propping up a division struggling to find its direction in the clash of GM brands. Few cars would be up to such a challenge - but we think Solstice is the little roadster that could.

2006 Pontiac Solstice
Base price: $19,995
Engine: 2.4-liter in-line four, 177 hp/166 lb-ft
Transmission: Five-speed manual, rear-wheel drive
Length x width x height: 157.2 x 71.3 x 50.1 in
Wheelbase: 95.1 in
Curb weight: 2860 lb
Fuel economy (EPA city/hwy): 20/28 mpg
Safety equipment: Dual front and side airbags; anti-lock brakes
Major standard features: 18-inch alloy wheels; AM/FM/CD sound; tilt wheel; rear defroster
Warranty: Three years/36,000 miles
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

footoflead

$19,995 Wow they just barely made it under 20K hu :rolleyes: ....

Not that I'm complaining, I think that price is great and it might be a possiblity in the Not so close future for me B) (wait, nah I'd still would rather have a miata  :rockon: (o wait its MX-5 now :rolleyes: )
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SJ_GTI

Quote$19,995 Wow they just barely made it under 20K hu :rolleyes: ....
I think pretty much everyone knew that when Lutz said "under 20k" the car would be 19,995 (or maybe 19,999).

Its actually impressive to me that they kept it under 20k including destination. The could have just as easily priced it at 19,995 as the base amount and still advertised it as starting under 20k.

PS. I don't think the Solstice looks very good in red.

280Z Turbo

The styling looks bloated and pudgy. It hasn't grown on me at all.

Also, the silver grilles look rediculous. The traditional black grilles would look much better.

TBR

R&T tested both the MX-5 and the Solstice in this months issue, here are the important numbers:
Miata/Solstice

0-60: 7.0/7.4
1/4 Mile: 15.4@88.7/15.8@86.8
Skidpad: .86/.88
Slalom: 67.7/67
60-0: 112/114
MPG: 23/21

Raghavan

I like the MIata over this, but i'm not sure if i'd take the miata or the sky. hmmm....

TBR

MX793

I guess C&D did a brief comparo between the two based on their impressions thus far and they liked the Solstice a bit better overall (basing this on what somebody paraphrased over at the C&D boards).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

Who paraphrased it? (it definitely matters). R&T seemed more positive about the MX-5.

Laconian

"Toe to goe".. hmm...

Thanks for the numbers TBR. I've been looking for those myself for the last several days. They're actually looking quite good for the Solstice: as expected, the power/weight ratio penalized the Solstice in acceleration, but it looks like the chassis is really up to snuff (slalom / skidpad). Honestly, if I didn't like the Miata's styling so much I would have a hard time choosing one over the other, the performance details are so closely matched. And if they can successfully tweak the chassis to cope with the forced-induction Ecotec, there really won't be an argument as to which is the more capable machine.

Is Mazda going to release a 2.3L version of the Miata anytime soon? Methinks the bigger engine would bolt right in.

The Sky is much more compelling than the Solstice, with the creased VX-Lightning/Speedster styling that I like so much. Who knows, if GM is still as rebate-happy in six months as they are now, perhaps the Sky might be my next vehicle.

MX793

QuoteWho paraphrased it? (it definitely matters). R&T seemed more positive about the MX-5.
Vette Z06, who generally seems to be fairly objective about things.  His post:

QuoteThere were nine categories in which the Solstice and MX-5 were compared, and here's how C&D broke it down:

Exterior: Solstice wins here. They said it's the one that drew the big crowds, although the MX-5 manages to look lighter and more agile (I'd say this means the Solstice looks more substantial).

Interior: MX-5 wins here. The overall fit-and-finish was a tad better, and they thought it was a fresh interpretation of the previous-generation car.

Top operation: MX-5 wins here. You don't have to get out of the cockpit to raise or lower the top, but both tops were pretty easy to fold.

Practicality: MX-5 wins here. It can hold more when the top is stowed.

Ride: Solstice wins here. The MX-5 felt "wispy and light" compared to the Pontiac, which felt more planted and sopped up bumps more effectively.

Handling: Solstice wins here. The MX-5's suspension never quite settled down at the limit, and it had a delicate feel. The Solstice felt secure and completely buttoned-down at the limit, where it also broke away more gradually.

Structure: Solstice wins here. Both cars are drum-tight, but the Solstice felt stiffer.

Primary controls: A draw. The MX-5's gearbox felt a little better, brake pedal feel and modulation was a wash, and they liked the Solstice's steering feel more.

Engine: Another draw. The MX-5 "sounds wimpy at idle but builds revs quickly and sounds happier as the revs increase," whereas the Solstice "idles better and barks louder." They liked the exhaust note of the Solstice more overall, and the two engines offered similar power and fairly broad torque curves.

The verdict: The MX-5 is a frenetic and lightweight sports car with a single purpose. The Solstice manages to equal the MX-5's sporting intent while being a much better cruiser when not attacking curvy roads. Basically, the MX-5 excels at being a sports car while the Solstice excels at being a sports car and a cruiser at the same time (my own paraphrasing of what they said).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

QuoteThe styling looks bloated and pudgy. It hasn't grown on me at all.

Also, the silver grilles look rediculous. The traditional black grilles would look much better.
Have you seen it with the top up?  It looks like shit.

TBR

"Ride: Solstice wins here. The MX-5 felt "wispy and light" compared to the Pontiac, which felt more planted and sopped up bumps more effectively.

Handling: Solstice wins here. The MX-5's suspension never quite settled down at the limit, and it had a delicate feel. The Solstice felt secure and completely buttoned-down at the limit, where it also broke away more gradually."

I would hope the Solstice would feel more planted, it weighs over 300 lbs more ;). And, VetteZ06 is one of the ones I consider to be GM biased, but maybe he has changed...

Also, Laconian, the Solstice has super wide rubber, which hurts feel but increases overall limits, especially on the skidpad.

Laconian

QuoteAlso, Laconian, the Solstice has super wide rubber, which hurts feel but increases overall limits, especially on the skidpad.
Super wide rubber should make for some good proper acceleration times when the Solstice gets more grunt.

Any word as to how the Sky will be tuned relative to the Solstice?

Dammit, I haven't received a C&D for four months. They f'd up big this time..

Raza

Quote$19,995 Wow they just barely made it under 20K hu :rolleyes: ....
I think pretty much everyone knew that when Lutz said "under 20k" the car would be 19,995 (or maybe 19,999).

Its actually impressive to me that they kept it under 20k including destination. The could have just as easily priced it at 19,995 as the base amount and still advertised it as starting under 20k.

PS. I don't think the Solstice looks very good in red.
Maxim gave away a red one (I'd have been more excited about the date with Rachel Perry, actually), and I liked it.  But then again, it had Rachel Perry in it, and that could have clouded my judgement.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteAlso, Laconian, the Solstice has super wide rubber, which hurts feel but increases overall limits, especially on the skidpad.
Super wide rubber should make for some good proper acceleration times when the Solstice gets more grunt.

Any word as to how the Sky will be tuned relative to the Solstice?

Dammit, I haven't received a C&D for four months. They f'd up big this time..
I think it might be a bit softier.

ifcar

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote"Ride: Solstice wins here. The MX-5 felt "wispy and light" compared to the Pontiac, which felt more planted and sopped up bumps more effectively.

Handling: Solstice wins here. The MX-5's suspension never quite settled down at the limit, and it had a delicate feel. The Solstice felt secure and completely buttoned-down at the limit, where it also broke away more gradually."

I would hope the Solstice would feel more planted, it weighs over 300 lbs more ;). And, VetteZ06 is one of the ones I consider to be GM biased, but maybe he has changed...

Also, Laconian, the Solstice has super wide rubber, which hurts feel but increases overall limits, especially on the skidpad.
I guess I am GM biased too.

Wider rubber does not automatically mean worse feel. C&D in fact said they preferring the steering of the Solstice.

Given your statement we could assume a 320i has better feel than an M3. Its all about calibration. if a car is calibrated to handle wide rubber it will be fine, but sticking fat tires on a car built for skinny tires will indeed mess up the road feel. Keep in mind they said the Solstice was more gradual at the limits, which has nothing to do with how wide rubber is on the tires.

Also, being heavier does not automatically equal a more solid car, though if you build the car right it is a potential benefit of extra weight provided the car's suspension and chassis are up to the task, which the Solstice apparently is. You guys continue to act like the Solstice is some overweight pig of a car despite the fact that its almost the same size and weight as the S2000, Z4, and Porsche Boxster.

Both cars sound great, but I have to say the more I hear about the Solstice the more I like it. Other than very low luggage capacity and the lack of a sixth gear it doesn't have any really noticable flaws.

MX793

Quote"Ride: Solstice wins here. The MX-5 felt "wispy and light" compared to the Pontiac, which felt more planted and sopped up bumps more effectively.

I guess I am GM biased too.

Wider rubber does not automatically mean worse feel. C&D in fact said they preferring the steering of the Solstice.

Given your statement we could assume a 320i has better feel than an M3. Its all about calibration. if a car is calibrated to handle wide rubber it will be fine, but sticking fat tires on a car built for skinny tires will indeed mess up the road feel. Keep in mind they said the Solstice was more gradual at the limits, which has nothing to do with how wide rubber is on the tires.

Also, being heavier does not automatically equal a more solid car, though if you build the car right it is a potential benefit of extra weight provided the car's suspension and chassis are up to the task, which the Solstice apparently is. You guys continue to act like the Solstice is some overweight pig of a car despite the fact that its almost the same size and weight as the S2000, Z4, and Porsche Boxster.

Both cars sound great, but I have to say the more I hear about the Solstice the more I like it. Other than very low luggage capacity and the lack of a sixth gear it doesn't have any really noticable flaws.
GM supposedly tested the Solstice with a 6 speed and found that it didn't really improve the 0-60 times at all and thus saw no need for it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SJ_GTI

QuoteGM supposedly tested the Solstice with a 6 speed and found that it didn't really improve the 0-60 times at all and thus saw no need for it.
There probably isn't a performance advantage to the 6th gear in my A4, but its nice to have when cruising down the highway.

JYODER240

I went from 205 to 225 tires. I now have much better steering feel but I also went from 16's to 18's. So I have a shorter, stiffer sidewalls.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SJ_GTI

I went from 205 to 225 tires. I now have much better steering feel but I also went from 16's to 18's. So I have a shorter, stiffer sidewalls.
Now that you mention it I've driven normal A4 (205/16's) and they have less feedback than mine (235/17's), and my mother's TSX also has less feedback (215/17's). Like I said its all about calibration.