Workers Can't Afford own Products

Started by SVT666, May 28, 2010, 09:50:42 AM

SVT666

UAW CHIEF: WORKERS CAN?T AFFORD OWN PRODUCTS
By Andrew Ganz

United Auto Workers union chief Ron Gettelfinger indicated yesterday that the $14 per hour base wage earned by an entry-level worker building Chrysler, Ford and General Motors products isn?t enough to buy a new car.

The argument comes nearly 90 years after Henry Ford began paying workers $5 per day in hopes that the workers would be able to afford one of their own products, a Ford Model T.

Gettelfinger said that it?s a ?fair question? whether or not auto workers can afford the products they?re assembling. An economist for Comerica, Dana Johnson, confirmed Gettelfinger?s comments by saying that a single income UAW worker making $14 per hour probably can?t afford a new car.

But a dual income family? ?Then they could clearly afford a new car,? Johnson told the Detroit News.

The UAW negotiated the $14 hourly rate in 2007 and, despite his concern that workers can?t live up to the standard promised by Henry Ford, Gettelfinger nonetheless defended the concessions. More tenured workers earn more than double the $14 hourly rate.

?We did what we had to do to get to tomorrow,? Gettelfinger said.

Raza

$14 an hour with benefits is plenty to buy a new car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=22107.msg1332000#msg1332000 date=1275061914
But not a Camaro SS or a Corvette Grand Sport it's not.  Poor workers.  I feel for them.

Jon?

Quote from: Raza  on May 28, 2010, 09:51:54 AM

Not one with heritage.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Vinsanity

at $14/hr, one can buy a much better (used) car today than a new Model T was during the 1920's.

thewizard16

I suppose it's unfortunate that they aren't living up to Henry Ford's original promise, but as for an assembly worker not being able to afford to buy a new car in general? Not too sympathetic. People who work for Boeing can't afford to buy a jet, people who work for boat companies often can't afford to buy a new speedboat, the average construction worker can't afford a custom built home, and so forth. Most people who work in manufacturing high-ticket durable goods can't afford to buy them new, so that argument seems somewhat hollow to me. In fact, I doubt most single-income assembly workers in any industry can afford to buy a decent new car. I hope things will improve for them, but their assembly workers base rate is still a very reasonable annual paycheck (full-time, anyway). I know people with Masters degrees making that little if you broke it down to hourly pay.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

GoCougs

In what warped alternative universe does the UAW live that such an illogical statement would curry any favor whatsoever with the general public? Unbelievable.

280Z Turbo

I worked at Herman Miller for 3 summers at $9.50 an hour. Herman Miller makes some high class office furniture, but I couldn't afford any of it. So what? It was a menial job.

A friend of mine is an engineer at an industrial pump company. Is he entitled to a $800,000 pump just for working there?

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 28, 2010, 10:15:50 AM
I worked at Herman Miller for 3 summers at $9.50 an hour. Herman Miller makes some high class office furniture, but I couldn't afford any of it. So what? It was a menial job.

A friend of mine is an engineer at an industrial pump company. Is he entitled to a $800,000 pump just for working there?
I can't afford the multi-million dollar HVAC systems I design.

JWC

I guess they should have negotiated some kind of vehicle credit based on hours or days worked. 

My cousin's husband worked a ranch in Montana and used to get paid a small paycheck ($600.00/month) and a side of beef twice a year.

SVT666

Quote from: JWC on May 28, 2010, 10:56:10 AM
I guess they should have negotiated some kind of vehicle credit based on hours or days worked. 

My cousin's husband worked a ranch in Montana and used to get paid a small paycheck ($600.00/month) and a side of beef twice a year.

That's a great idea actually.  I pay people who do work or model for me with shirts.  They're happy with it.

Cookie Monster

If there were no used cars I could see this being a problem, but why do these people deserve to buy a new car? There are millions of people in their place who can't buy new cars. Should they have their income raised too? :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MX793

$14 an hour on base pay, but how much overtime do these guys typically work?  Let's say they average 7 hours a week of OT.  Now their $28K income grows to over $35K.  You may not be able to afford a fancy car, but I'd think you could swing a Cobalt or Focus. 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

JWC

Quote from: SVT666 on May 28, 2010, 11:08:03 AM
That's a great idea actually.  I pay people who do work or model for me with shirts.  They're happy with it.

Most of my models work for 8x10's.

SVT666

Quote from: JWC on May 28, 2010, 11:33:43 AM
Most of my models work for 8x10's.
Mine get to keep what they were modelling.

JWC

Quote from: SVT666 on May 28, 2010, 11:45:53 AM
Mine get to keep what they were modelling.

So do mine... they were not wearing clothes...LOL.

SVT666

Quote from: JWC on May 28, 2010, 11:51:53 AM
So do mine... they were not wearing clothes...LOL.
Huh.  I should try that.

Speed_Racer

1) I'm sure they could swing for a Cobalt (on a 72 month loan or a lease or something ridiculous like that).
2) Don't they already get good benefits such as employee discounts, pensions, is that job bank still around?

JWC

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 28, 2010, 01:29:47 PM

2) Don't they already get good benefits such as employee discounts,.....

A really good discount and it follows them after they retire, they have a "code" they give the dealership they are buying their vehicle from and the dealer submits it to the manufacturer.   It's good at any dealership in the U.S.

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT666 on May 28, 2010, 09:50:42 AM
UAW CHIEF: WORKERS CAN?T AFFORD OWN PRODUCTS
By Andrew Ganz

United Auto Workers union chief Ron Gettelfinger indicated yesterday that the $14 per hour base wage earned by an entry-level worker building Chrysler, Ford and General Motors products isn?t enough to buy a new car.

The argument comes nearly 90 years after Henry Ford began paying workers $5 per day in hopes that the workers would be able to afford one of their own products, a Ford Model T.

Gettelfinger said that it?s a ?fair question? whether or not auto workers can afford the products they?re assembling. An economist for Comerica, Dana Johnson, confirmed Gettelfinger?s comments by saying that a single income UAW worker making $14 per hour probably can?t afford a new car.

But a dual income family? ?Then they could clearly afford a new car,? Johnson told the Detroit News.

The UAW negotiated the $14 hourly rate in 2007 and, despite his concern that workers can?t live up to the standard promised by Henry Ford, Gettelfinger nonetheless defended the concessions. More tenured workers earn more than double the $14 hourly rate.

?We did what we had to do to get to tomorrow,? Gettelfinger said.

I understand the point, though lots of people build products they can't afford.  Even I do, in my own way.

The problem with the unions is the inefficiency in the work rules that cause production costs to be much higher than they need to be, and the fact that they require so many people to be paid for either not working, or long after the are no longer working.  If unions hadn't saddled companies with those burdens, they'd be able to pay workers more and still make a good profit.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

The people with whom I work have college educations and most of them don't even pull down $14/hr. at this stage of the game.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on May 28, 2010, 04:56:13 PM
The people with whom I work have college educations and most of them don't even pull down $14/hr. at this stage of the game.

True.  Most people just starting out can't truly afford a new car, though in the classic American fashion, they can get financing with payments they can't afford so they can 'own' one.  That's also true of these auto workers.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sportyaccordy

This is a pretty ludicrous complaint. Like the bus boy at a fancy restaurant complaining that he can't eat there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTJpLBXGBkM#t=0m7s

FlatBlackCaddy

Wow, a entry level worker getting 14 an hour plus the pathetic benefit package of a mistreated union auto worker.

The poor bastards, we might as well put them in mass government housing and sell their children to the wealthy to shine their shoes and tend to their house duties.

This is slavery, plain and simple.

I make little more than this, haven't had a vacation in 5 years and have NO benefits and even I feel sorry for them.

I just run a business, that is no where near the skill level that operating automated machinery requires.

I can't believe people have the poor taste to say that auto workers have a unrealistic sense of entitlement.

What the hell do they base that belief on?

the Teuton

How's your gag reflex? If you don't know, test it out by reading the interview with Ron Gettelfinger at the end of the new Car and Driver.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

thewizard16

Quote from: the Teuton on May 28, 2010, 09:50:34 PM
How's your gag reflex? If you don't know, test it out by reading the interview with Ron Gettelfinger at the end of the new Car and Driver.
I'll do that sometime when I'm not already mildly annoyed. I imagine he is the epitome of the undeserved sense of entitlement that the UAW has become known for over the last couple decades?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on May 28, 2010, 09:52:40 AM
But not a Camaro SS or a Corvette Grand Sport it's not.  Poor workers.  I feel for them.

Oh come one! They can afford 1,200-hp Supra's or supped up Honda Civic DX VTEC Type-R Mugen's which destroy any Corvette or Camaro!  :winkguy:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

Is this.......serious?  :confused: What nonsense.

Northlands

Quote from: omicron on May 29, 2010, 09:31:13 AM
Is this.......serious?  :confused: What nonsense.

Clearly you haven't had enough exposure to North American culture.  :nono:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

cawimmer430

I wonder if someone who puts together Rolls Royce's and Bentley's can afford those cars...  :facepalm:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie