Another one for the "Are people really this stupid?" file.

Started by SVT666, June 01, 2010, 08:41:26 PM

SVT666

NHTSA INVESTIGATES FORD ACCESSORY FLOOR MATS
By Andrew Ganz

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it is looking into allegations that accessory rubber floor mats offered by Ford for the automaker?s Fusion and Mercury Milan models could become dislodged and force unintended acceleration.

NHTSA?s official release says that the investigation focuses on concerns that an ?accessory floor mat may entrap the accelerator pedal.?

The rubber all season mats are specific to 2010 model year Fusions and Milans. NHTSA recommends that drivers remove the mats from the driver?s foot well until the investigation is complete.

?Any Ford ?all weather? optional floor mat should be placed in the driver?s side foot well only after first unfastening and removing the standard, carpeted floor mat,? NHTSA said in its statement.

NHTSA says it has received several complaints from 2010 Fusion drivers that the rubber mats can slide forward to trap the accelerator pedal if stacked on top of the standard carpeted floor mats. Ford says it doesn?t recommend that both the rubber and carpet mats be used at the same time in the foot well.

?We do not recommend stacking floor mats in any vehicle from any automaker,? Ford?s Said Deep told the Detroit News.

Jon?

Modern science cannot devise a cure for the common cold and clippy things for floormats evidently.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Jon? on June 01, 2010, 09:22:16 PM
Modern science cannot devise a cure for the common cold and clippy things for floormats evidently.
They do have clippy things for the floormats, but this pertains to idiots who stack mats. Then the clippy thing doesn't extend all the way to catch both mats.

Why would you ever stack mats? :facepalm:

I hate people.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Jon?

You need a mat to protect the mat that's protecting the carpet.  It's like covering your sofa in clear plastic.

Current Rides: 2011 VW Golf TDi, 2008 Pontiac Vibe

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Now that you've brought it up....

Ford Territory floor mat recall

Ford Australia is recalling almost 5000 Territory floor mats because they can potentially jam the accelerator.

The floor mat in question is a genuine Ford accessory -- a black carpet mat with silver 'Territory' lettering available since June 2009 -- and is not standard on the car. Ford also offers rubber floor mats, also black with silver lettering, but these are not the subject of the recall.

Because Ford does not have a list of customer contact details -- as it would with a new vehicle purchase -- it is urging anyone that may have bought this particular floor mat as an accessory to return it to a dealer to be exchanged for another type.

No other floor mats are affected, the company says.

Ford says there had been two reported instances where the floor mat had jammed the accelerator earlier this year, the first one occurring in February and a second one in March.

In the first incident the driver shifted the car into neutral to slow the vehicle and eventually come to a stop.

The March incident was television news. A woman driving a 2009 Ford Territory claimed its accelerator became stuck while driving through Melbourne's Burnley Tunnel.

She eventually brought the Territory's speed down from the posted 80km/h to approximately 10km/h at which point she disembarked from the vehicle.

The Territory then continued a short distance before bumping into a concrete barrier.

When the Carsales Network asked Ford Australia why it took up to three months to respond after that incident, Ford spokesman Todd Nissen said: "When we get reports from customers we want to look into them thoroughly before making a decision. We looked into it and determined we should take action."

He confirmed that the Territory incident in the Burnley tunnel was "the second incident, another driver had an incident a couple of weeks earlier".

Ford says it will be more difficult to track down the affected floor mats because they were sold separately as accessories.

"Because the floor mats were sold separately from the car, we don't have a database of customers," Nissen said. "We've put ads in newspapers and with the help of our dealers we are working to make sure people are aware."

The Ford Territory floor mat recall is similar to a floor mat-related recall by Toyota North America in the lead-up to its faulty accelerator pedal fiasco, which eventually saw eight million Toyotas recalled there earlier this year.

But Nissen told a Sydney newspaper last week the problem was "nowhere near the scale and nature" of the Toyota problem.

"We don't see it as an issue at all," he said. "There are no safety or performance issues at all; it's a problem with the mat... We see it that the reputation of the brand is still strong.

"There's no issue with the pedals, the brake or the accelerator, the problem is with the mats getting stuck or bunched up."

Ford has asked 4990 owners of the faulty mats to return to their local dealer for a redesigned mat supplied free of charge.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010/medium-4x4/ford/territory/ford-territory-floor-mat-recall-19460

Northlands

I just don't know what's going on with humans. Is it:

1. People are becoming that much more lazy and stupid.
2. Greater media coverage is just confirming we've been this dumb all along.
3. Sensational stories being created claiming large numbers instead of a few REAL dumb complaints about cars.

All this does is make me that much more sad about the 1 in 3 humans that surround me on a daily basis. I just want to go hide in the mountains or something. Maybe they'll kill themselves off at some point.  :lol:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

AutobahnSHO

Wow. That australia crap is FUNNY. She slowed the car down and JUMPED OUT?! 

At 10km/h the handbrake would stop a car.
Will

Morris Minor

It would be simpler to jail owners who jeopardize other road users through criminally stupid acts like stacking floor coverings.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Quote from: Northlands on June 03, 2010, 04:09:21 PM
I just don't know what's going on with humans. Is it:

1. People are becoming that much more lazy and stupid.
2. Greater media coverage is just confirming we've been this dumb all along.
3. Sensational stories being created claiming large numbers instead of a few REAL dumb complaints about cars.

All this does is make me that much more sad about the 1 in 3 humans that surround me on a daily basis. I just want to go hide in the mountains or something. Maybe they'll kill themselves off at some point.  :lol:

It is:

4. Letting (demanding) government regulate business.