CarandDriver Tests 300C SRT8

Started by Fire It Up, May 12, 2005, 08:40:54 PM

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

MaxPower

It's a cool car and considering it's price of $40,000 I think we'll see plenty of them.  

Like Road & Track said, "a decidedly American Hemi heart with a European feel and sophistication to its driving dynamics.  Think of the SRT-8 as an American E55, with a savings of about $30 grand." (March 2005)

I think it's pretty neat.

ifcar

QuoteIt's a cool car and considering it's price of $40,000 I think we'll see plenty of them.  

Like Road & Track said, "a decidedly American Hemi heart with a European feel and sophistication to its driving dynamics.  Think of the SRT-8 as an American E55, with a savings of about $30 grand." (March 2005)

I don't think they're making too many of them, even if they would sell.  

SJ_GTI

It sounds like a nice car, but I don't like that its automatic only.

I also think that these reviewers are getting progressively lazier and/or older or something. 5 years ago no way would some say that a manual transmission is not right for this type of car (too much effort?!? pfft!).  :angry:

Anyway, I would save my money and get the 400 HP GTO, with a 6-speed manual. If I absolutely needed a sedan I would just pony up the extra 8k for an S4 or CTS-V.

mazda6er

QuoteIt sounds like a nice car, but I don't like that its automatic only.

I also think that these reviewers are getting progressively lazier and/or older or something. 5 years ago no way would some say that a manual transmission is not right for this type of car (too much effort?!? pfft!).  :angry:

Anyway, I would save my money and get the 400 HP GTO, with a 6-speed manual. If I absolutely needed a sedan I would just pony up the extra 8k for an S4 or CTS-V.
I think you'd need more like an extra 18K.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

I also think that these reviewers are getting progressively lazier and/or older or something. 5 years ago no way would some say that a manual transmission is not right for this type of car (too much effort?!? pfft!).? :angry:

Price on the SRT-8 is 42k, the S4 starts at 46k, and the CTS-V starts 50k.

I am not saying the SRT-8 isn't a good deal, but if you want a 6MT its worth it to move up to one of these cars to me.

mazda6er

I also think that these reviewers are getting progressively lazier and/or older or something. 5 years ago no way would some say that a manual transmission is not right for this type of car (too much effort?!? pfft!).  :angry:

I am not saying the SRT-8 isn't a good deal, but if you want a 6MT its worth it to move up to one of these cars to me.
Oh, my bad, I thought you were saying move up 8K from the GTO!  That's what I get for reading too quickly. My mistake.  :D
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

I also think that these reviewers are getting progressively lazier and/or older or something. 5 years ago no way would some say that a manual transmission is not right for this type of car (too much effort?!? pfft!).? :angry:

Oh, my bad, I thought you were saying move up 8K from the GTO!  That's what I get for reading too quickly. My mistake.  :D
Ah okay. Like I said the GTO would be my first choice of course. I only mentioned the S4 and CTS-V as potentials if I absolutely needed 4 doors for some reason. So I meant to compare the STR-8 to those on price, since the GTO beats them all (handily).

Sorry for the confusion.

BMWDave

QuoteIt's a cool car and considering it's price of $40,000 I think we'll see plenty of them. 

Like Road & Track said, "a decidedly American Hemi heart with a European feel and sophistication to its driving dynamics.  Think of the SRT-8 as an American E55, with a savings of about $30 grand." (March 2005)

I don't think they're making too many of them, even if they would sell.
I think they are making about 8K a year.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...