"Lifting" pickup trucks

Started by 280Z Turbo, August 31, 2005, 02:31:01 PM

footoflead

QuoteI can understand getting a 2-ish inch body lift or suspension lift just for looks, but beyond that, it should be done strictly for your offroadin, not for looks.
2in doesnt bother me, its the guys that lift there trucks until the can see over the cab of 18-wheelers :rolleyes:

*side note-My current defintion of

Rice-Any vehical with several modifications that do not enhance the performance in any way
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

QuoteRice-Any vehical with several modifications that do not enhance the performance in any way
Does wax count? It doesn't increase performance!

Not every mod has to increase performance.

I define rice as, well, just plain stupid mods.

footoflead

QuoteRice-Any vehical with several modifications that do not enhance the performance in any way

But is waxing your car modifing it, last time i check your car has wax on it stock ;) , I'll have to remeber that when i'm waxing our vehicals that i'm modifying it

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

footoflead

QuoteI guess rust is rice too. ;)
( :rolleyes: )Sure why not( :D )

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

If your rust spells V-TEC you got some issues.

Raghavan

QuoteIf your rust spells V-TEC you got some issues.
:lol:  

Colonel Cadillac

You have to admit, some of these lifted trucks do look cool!

Run Away

If I had a truck, the first direction I'd take it is down. A nice 2/3 drop kit looks great and makes the truck handle better.

But if I had a 4x4, I'd probably put in beefy tires and leave it at that. But I don't mind lifted trucks at all.

ifcar

But is waxing your car modifing it, last time i check your car has wax on it stock ;) , I'll have to remeber that when i'm waxing our vehicals that i'm modifying it
It's maintenance, like changing the tires, giving it a tune-up, or putting gas in it. Not a modification, just steps to keep it at the level it was new.

And rust is a mod only if it's done on purpose. ;)

MX793

Lifted trucks are road hazards, IMO.  In a collision, their bumpers sit too high and someone in a passenger car is going to go right under the vehicle.  It's funny that tractor trailers have mandatory maximum bumper heights (to protect people in passenger cars from getting killed) yet pickups and SUVs do not.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TBR

QuoteSo then why are we saying that these trucks that are lifted are "rice"?  How would you even know if they off-road with it or not?  I mean they aren't gonna drive it around covered in mud all the time...so basically I don't see why you guys are discriminating against them...  :ph34r:
....?
You realize that you are using the pretty much the same argument for lifted trucks as I was using for large suvs, right? ;) :lol:

TBR

QuoteI disagree wholeheartdly, have you ever seen 10 year old lifted trucks? Those outway those 1 year olds that are lifted 10 to 1. Do you think those 10 year old trucks are lifted for the look? Come on now get serious and admit defeat :)
Maybe in your area. But your area does not represent a great trend, most lifted trucks that I see, at whatever height, appear in perfect shape, too good to have been off road.
And Washington D.C. represents a good trend? Come on, most lifted trucks are in rural areas and many of them are used offroad. That said, unless you are doing all out mudbogging there is really no point.

ifcar

I'm not only talking about personal experience, in the DC area and elsewhere, but it seems to me that others here are reporting the same thing. And what sort of situations do you (and MTB) see the lifted trucks encountering that the standard version cannot?

TBR

I don't hang out around places where people offroad, but just because a truck is clean and on pavement doesn't mean it isn't used offroad. People that build these trucks typically take very good care of them, often washing the dirt off after each trip offroad.

ifcar

What sort of activities are these trucks used for, even in rural areas? Where are they taken past their stock abilities?

MX793

QuoteWhat sort of activities are these trucks used for, even in rural areas? Where are they taken past their stock abilities?
Have you ever seen some good old fashioned mudding or mud racing?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Minpin

QuoteI don't hang out around places where people offroad, but just because a truck is clean and on pavement doesn't mean it isn't used offroad. People that build these trucks typically take very good care of them, often washing the dirt off after each trip offroad.
TBR makes a very goof point here. I see alot of stereotyping in here, such as this guy has a 7 passenger suv but he's the only one in it. These people who have lifted trucks spent precious money on them and they want them to be washed off ASAP. Just because the lifted truck is on the road with you AT THAT SECOND doesnt mean that it is NEVER taken off road. Have you guys ever been off road or even seen someone go off road? I think the majority of you stereotypicalists who absolutly despise any suv or truck of any kind need a reality check of why people buy the car/truck/suv that they did, and why the do mods to it.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

ifcar

QuoteWhat sort of activities are these trucks used for, even in rural areas? Where are they taken past their stock abilities?
Nope. Where do they do that, and why can't a stock 4WD pickup handle it?

TBR

The mud is just too deep and slippery, you have to have really big tires which requires a lift.

Minpin

lol i meant good instead of goof. Kinda makes it the opposite of what i meant...

ifcar

I wouldn't say the ability to "mud race" is "improved off-road ability", but it's a start I suppose. <_<

Minpin

ifcar you have to understand that theres as many people who like to go rock crawling,mudding,etc... as the people who would put turbos on their cars to go fast. its the same but different. and while lifting isnt a neccesity it double how far offroad you can take it.

MX793

Here are some photos from a mud bogging event.  Some of the trucks I'm sure are running without a lift, but you get a good idea of how deep it can get.

http://www.4wheelingplus.com/mud_bogging/default.asp
Needs more Jiggawatts

ifcar

Quoteifcar you have to understand that theres as many people who like to go rock crawling,mudding,etc... as the people who would put turbos on their cars to go fast. its the same but different. and while lifting isnt a neccesity it double how far offroad you can take it.

Which is nice, if you actually do. But from what I've read, a stock 4WD pickup should be capable of handling any normal off-road conditions, and probably a bit more. Just like someone who supercharges their Eclipse won't do anything that needs that extra power.

Minpin

im pretty sure that a new f-150 wouldnt be able to get over 1 4ft boulder without out A) popping a tire or B) hitting the rock with the trucks bumber before the wheels even touch it, thus making it imposible to do anything without a proper lift kit and tires.

ifcar

Here are some photos from a mud bogging event.  Some of the trucks I'm sure are running without a lift, but you get a good idea of how deep it can get.

http://www.4wheelingplus.com/mud_bogging/default.asp
Doesn't look so bad, and none of those look outrageously lifted either.  

Minpin

well that weird i did a b and a smiley came up...

TBR

This truck probably has a 4-6 inch lift:

ifcar

Quoteim pretty sure that a new f-150 wouldnt be able to get over 1 4ft boulder without out A) popping a tire or B) hitting the rock with the trucks bumber before the wheels even touch it, thus making it imposible to do anything without a proper lift kit and tires.
How many people actually drive over four-foot boulders in their trucks? In my area, I can positively assure you that not a single one does (no boulders here).