"Lifting" pickup trucks

Started by 280Z Turbo, August 31, 2005, 02:31:01 PM

280Z Turbo

Personally, I think they look rediculous.

I've heard people say that a new Silverado 4x4 pickup is too low. :rolleyes: I'd much rather have a truck with a stock, more aggresive stance. Of course, I'd rather not have a truck at all.  :lol:

I live in a small conservative town, so there's a fair amount of flag waving nationalist redneck wannabes who love them.

They look silly, hurt handling, gas mileage, increase the chance of a rollover and endanger other people. What good are they?! Sounds like redneck rice to me!

giant_mtb

The idea is to be able to take them extreme off-roading.  Stock trucks are very limited compared to a truck with a set of tires and a lift kit...even if it's just a few inches.

ifcar

It's all appearance, lifting a Silverado is the same as lowering a Civic. I don't see any point to either practice, both hurt ride and handling and cost extra, but some people like the look.  

BMWDave

These kits only make sense if you are doing extreme off roading, otherwise, they are pointless.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

People around here actually take their "riced" trucks off roading...

280Z Turbo

That's because you live in the U.P.! This is not the case in the L.P.

giant_mtb

Well that's lame... :angry:  

280Z Turbo

QuoteIt's all appearance, lifting a Silverado is the same as lowering a Civic. I don't see any point to either practice, both hurt ride and handling and cost extra, but some people like the look.
Lowering will improve handling if it's done right with performance springs, shocks/struts, and polyurethane bump stops.

Laconian

I can't stand how the drivers of lifted trucks drive more than I can't stand the trucks themselves.  
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

ifcar

QuoteIt's all appearance, lifting a Silverado is the same as lowering a Civic. I don't see any point to either practice, both hurt ride and handling and cost extra, but some people like the look.
Lowering will improve handling if it's done right with performance springs, shocks/struts, and polyurethane bump stops.
And you think the average teen in his 1996 Civic coupe went through all that?

giant_mtb

Lifted trucks aren't all bad you know.

A truck that has a 3 inch suspension lift with a 3  inch body lift and still has decently streetable tires can be easily driven every day...

ifcar

A Jeep Wrangler isn't that bad either, if you use it to its potential. Otherwise it's impractical and a waste of money over a car, you only get the looks. Of course it CAN be driven on-road, but if it's spending all its time there why not get a car that is more than simply sufficient?

Same deal with a lifted truck.  

Tom

QuoteI can't stand how the drivers of lifted trucks drive more than I can't stand the trucks themselves.
I know what you mean.  They like to come right up on your ass...that's a good way to runover a smaller car.

giant_mtb

Why is it impractical to lift  your truck for off-roading?  Besides, it probably costs about the same to own a lifted truck and use it as a daily driver than to have two cars. (the truck and a car)

ifcar

It's not, if you use if for off-roading.  

giant_mtb

So then why are we saying that these trucks that are lifted are "rice"?  How would you even know if they off-road with it or not?  I mean they aren't gonna drive it around covered in mud all the time...so basically I don't see why you guys are discriminating against them...  :ph34r:  

280Z Turbo

And you think the average teen in his 1996 Civic coupe went through all that?
No, he probably just heated them or cut them.

giant_mtb

QuoteSo then why are we saying that these trucks that are lifted are "rice"?  How would you even know if they off-road with it or not?  I mean they aren't gonna drive it around covered in mud all the time...so basically I don't see why you guys are discriminating against them...  :ph34r:
....?

ifcar

Most lifted pickups or SUVs aren't used for any off-pavement excursions, much less subjected to conditions that the same car couldn't handle stock. If they are, that's another thing entirely.  

giant_mtb

But the point is that these lifted trucks are not rice.  Rice is slow.  Comparably, lifted pickups are capable, regardless of the fact that they are used on or off-road.

Minpin

I am going to agree with Giant here. Actually about 70% of lifted trucks are taken off road. You just dont realize it :)
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

280Z Turbo

Maybe where he lives up in the U.P.

giant_mtb

QuoteMaybe where he lives up in the U.P.
Yeah but think about an entire country...you don't think that at least 70 percent of the lifted trucks actually have owners that take them off roadin?

Raghavan

if you can do cool stuff with it, it's not rice...

ifcar

QuoteMaybe where he lives up in the U.P.
Yeah but think about an entire country...you don't think that at least 70 percent of the lifted trucks actually have owners that take them off roadin?
I honestly don't. There are enough suburbanites in their immaculate $40,000 lifted trucks to offset any population that does otherwise.

Minpin

I disagree wholeheartdly, have you ever seen 10 year old lifted trucks? Those outway those 1 year olds that are lifted 10 to 1. Do you think those 10 year old trucks are lifted for the look? Come on now get serious and admit defeat :)
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

footoflead

Actually, down here i was talking to one guy and he said and i quote "I want to put a 10 lift..." i asked him why and he responded "Because its COOL MAN!" :rolleyes: at that point i rolled my eyes and walked away
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

I can understand getting a 2-ish inch body lift or suspension lift just for looks, but beyond that, it should be done strictly for your offroadin, not for looks.

Raghavan

I've always wanted a Toyota truck that 's lifted. They look awesome in 4wd + lifted.

ifcar

QuoteI disagree wholeheartdly, have you ever seen 10 year old lifted trucks? Those outway those 1 year olds that are lifted 10 to 1. Do you think those 10 year old trucks are lifted for the look? Come on now get serious and admit defeat :)
Maybe in your area. But your area does not represent a great trend, most lifted trucks that I see, at whatever height, appear in perfect shape, too good to have been off road.