Quick... somebody talk me out of this

Started by Payman, June 13, 2010, 02:15:52 PM

the Teuton

That isn't your bro's car, is it?

It's a 996 -- that's a decent reason not to get it. But it's still a Porsche 911 :wub:

I like the GT3 spoiler a lot.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Payman

Bro's is a cabrio, I like the coupe better. This one is a '99 with 88k kms (50k miles). Appointment in the morning for financing. I haven't financed a car in 5 years. I'm thinking it'll cost me $690/60 months. This purchase is/was planned for after my pension payout, but I got a real bad itch after driving bro's 996 back in April.

Eye of the Tiger

I can't talk you out of that. I'm sorry, man.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

If you can do it comfortably and you think it's a good deal, go for it. But there's no sense in doing it just to have a Porsche. Keep in mind, the 996 is the quickest depreciating 911 on the market right now because the 993 is a bit more desirable to purists and the 997 is essentially an upgraded version of this car.

Maybe putting that  much into a depreciating asset isn't something I'd do, but buying a sports car has never been about rationality. If you can, do.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on June 13, 2010, 02:30:17 PM
If you can do it comfortably and you think it's a good deal, go for it. But there's no sense in doing it just to have a Porsche. Keep in mind, the 996 is the quickest depreciating 911 on the market right now because the 993 is a bit more desirable to purists and the 997 is essentially an upgraded version of this car.

Maybe putting that  much into a depreciating asset isn't something I'd do, but buying a sports car has never been about rationality. If you can, do.

You get a 914 "just to have a Porsche".

This is a Porsche.

Raza

I love the 996, especially if we're talking post facelift.  I'd buy a 996 Turbo in a heartbeat. 

Get it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

You're supposed to be talking me out of it!  :lol:

Payman

Whether I get it this year, or wait till next, it doesn't really matter...

Pics when it's in my driveway.  :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

If you just want to buy something for the heck of it, I got a Rodeo I need to get rid of. $5000 U.S. plz. Thx.

TBR

The body kit or whatever the hell that is is not attractive.

hotrodalex

SVT666

Normally I would try to talk anybody out of buying an 11 year old car for $700 a month.  Unless I wa rolling in it I would never make such a purchase.

68_427

Honestly I think that specific car looks like S***
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on June 13, 2010, 03:08:42 PM
Normally I would try to talk anybody out of buying an 11 year old car for $700 a month.  Unless I wa rolling in it I would never make such a purchase.

That's what the little white guy on my right shoulder is telling me. Wife also wants me to wait. *sigh* I'm going to see how financing shapes up, and I'm looking at the car tomorrow evening.

Payman

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on June 13, 2010, 02:48:40 PM
The body kit or whatever the hell that is is not attractive.

+1

The rocker sill covers look odd.  I do like the wheels though.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Payman

Quote from: The Pirate on June 13, 2010, 03:18:37 PM
+1

The rocker sill covers look odd.  I do like the wheels though.

The reflection makes it look pronounced. If it's the same as bro's, it actually looks good on the 996.

68_427

Quote from: Rockraven on June 13, 2010, 03:15:07 PM
What??? Why?

I guess IMO the GT3 kit just doesn't look right on that car at all.  There's also alot of wheel gap.  Are those the winter tires?

That car would look hot w/o the GT3 kit and some Carerra sport rims.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Think about this for a sec.  $700 a month for 5 years.  When you're done paying for this car it will be 16 years old and you just finished putting out $42,000 for it.  I could never bring myself to spend that much money on a car of that vintage...especially when you can already get a 2006 or 2007 Cayman S for the same price and it's a better car.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rockraven on June 13, 2010, 02:15:52 PM

Talk you out of that?  No way, man.  GO FOR IT!!!!  :rockon:

EDIT:  IF you can comfortably afford it.  You'd feel like a baller driving around in that.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

the Teuton

I've never been a huge fan of the 996, but I, for one, like the body kit and the color.

It does need to be lowered, though.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on June 13, 2010, 05:49:05 PM
Think about this for a sec.  $700 a month for 5 years.  When you're done paying for this car it will be 16 years old and you just finished putting out $42,000 for it.  I could never bring myself to spend that much money on a car of that vintage...especially when you can already get a 2006 or 2007 Cayman S for the same price and it's a better car.

Sage advice. The 911 is $30,000, and I'm overestimating the financing, but you make good points. I've been looking for either a Boxster S, Cayman, or 911 for the past year, but driving my brother's 911 made me badly want that car. Like I said, I'll know more about financing tomorrow, and I'm going to see the car tomorrow evening.

dazzleman

Quote from: SVT666 on June 13, 2010, 05:49:05 PM

Looked at that way, it would be hard for me to do it.  You make a strong case.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Payman

dazzleman

Quote from: Rockraven on June 13, 2010, 06:00:27 PM
ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!  :lockedup:

I know, man.  But a big part of being a baller is to get a good value.  If you're taking it up the ass on the price/value ratio, the baller image is pretty hollow.  You can't do that at this stage of the game.  Look around for the best deal.  I love the idea.

SVT666

I would take a 2006 Cayman S for the same price over this car any day.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

GoCougs

Weren't you eyeballing a new Camaro SS? I'd go that route (i.e., new/newer) for a $30-$35k car, especially if making payments on it.

Payman

Quote from: GoCougs on June 13, 2010, 06:22:07 PM
Weren't you eyeballing a new Camaro SS? I'd go that route (i.e., new/newer) for a $30-$35k car, especially if making payments on it.

Yes, until I drove brother's 911. I am definitely getting a Porsche... next year. I badly want to see this one, but if it's driving me this crazy, I'm not ready to do it yet. DONE. (maybe)